Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$150k / year = 'rich'?

View Poll Results: Do you think a household income of $150k makes you 'rich'?
Damn straight
34.03%
Unlikely
65.97%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

$150k / year = 'rich'?

Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $150k / year = 'rich'?

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I just worked out, that our private tution fees, for Music and maths are over 3,000 bucks per year for our two. So even though our 2 go to state schools we are spending over 7,000 bucks per year on education.. Bloody voluntary contributions, for upgrading facilities, are a very sneaky way of enticing money out of parents.
Don't get me started! I believe it's inherently wrong (IMO). A bit of fundraising is fine, but we pay taxes for education or we can opt to go private if we can afford it. If schools need additional funds they should be badgering whoever holds the purse strings in govt. and possibly raise tax to cover a decent state education.

We already pay for their uniforms, books, stationery, tissues, all school excursions, for anyone who actually visits the school (like a guest speaker) and indeed sex education .. and then they want money for the library or the building fund FFS!

Then they send out a demand for what is a voluntary contribution in the guise of an invoice to pressure parents into paying it.

What on earth do said taxes actually contribute towards our kids education? They'll be having a whip round for the teachers' wages next.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Don't get me started! I believe it's inherently wrong (IMO). A bit of fundraising is fine, but we pay taxes for education or we can opt to go private if we can afford it. If schools need additional funds they should be badgering whoever holds the purse strings in govt. and possibly raise tax to cover a decent state education.

We already pay for their uniforms, books, stationery, tissues, all school excursions, for anyone who actually visits the school (like a guest speaker) and indeed sex education .. and then they want money for the library or the building fund FFS!

Then they send out a demand for what is a voluntary contribution in the guise of an invoice to pressure parents into paying it.

What on earth do said taxes actually contribute towards our kids education? They'll be having a whip round for the teachers' wages next.
I couldnt beleive that they still provided books and pens in UK schools... or do they ?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I couldnt beleive that they still provided books and pens in UK schools... or do they ?
they did when i was at school, but that was a few years back (books only though from memory)

my two hadn't started school when we left so not sure.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty sure exercise books & text books are provided by the schools in the UK still. Not sure about pens - I think us pupils always had our own.