Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

$150k / year = 'rich'?

View Poll Results: Do you think a household income of $150k makes you 'rich'?
Damn straight
34.03%
Unlikely
65.97%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

$150k / year = 'rich'?

Old May 18th 2008, 1:55 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default $150k / year = 'rich'?

During the recent budget, the Labor party stated that household's earning $150k were rich. What do you think? I'd loving to be seeing that kind of money coming into our bank account but I wouldn't really consider somebody earning that to be 'rich'
Old May 18th 2008, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: $150k / year = 'rich'?

Originally Posted by wmoore
During the recent budget, the Labor party stated that household's earning $150k were rich. What do you think? I'd loving to be seeing that kind of money coming into our bank account but I wouldn't really consider somebody earning that to be 'rich'
With $150K income evenly spread between two earners you would be very comfortably off. If it was a one earner family then it wouldn't be so good, but still comfortable. I agree that government shouldn't be handing out money to people on or above that income level.

The reality is that Australia has an equitable tax system which provides a lot of support for families on low to middle incomes. This is in contrast to countries like the US. There is broad public support for this as it helps promote social cohesion.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Budawang
With $150K income evenly spread between two earners you would be very comfortably off.
Not in Sydney with a mortgage you wouldn't.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:13 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say "Well off".

Even if you live in Sydney.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:14 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

With $150K income evenly spread between two earners you would be very comfortably off. If it was a one earner family then it wouldn't be so good, but still comfortable. I agree that government shouldn't be handing out money to people on or above that income level.

The reality is that Australia has an equitable tax system which provides a lot of support for families on low to middle incomes. This is in contrast to countries like the US. There is broad public support for this as it helps promote social cohesion.
I agree with that, I was just taking the $150k line in isolation.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:15 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I would say "Well off".

Well off for sure. You're earning a good crust above the average but I don't think that's anywhere near rich to be honest. On $150k, you could impulse buy a large plasma TV, rich means you could impulse buy a new car
Old May 18th 2008, 2:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's all relative to what you earn or have earnt before. For me - someone who has never got above £25k total household income (with two working!) then $150k is a fortune and I'd be more than happy with that and would feel very rich....until I got used to it then I would probably think I need more and it wouldn't seem as much anymore.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Comfortable, probably yes, rich no. A couple of teachers working full time would be on about that and no one in their right mind would call that "rich".
Old May 18th 2008, 2:28 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed

Rich? No, but I think that at 150k you should recognise that you dont need handouts from the government.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Agreed

Rich? No, but I think that at 150k you should recognise that you dont need handouts from the government.
agreed. Although I would feel rich if we earned 150k!
j
Old May 18th 2008, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Comfortable is a more appropriate term for $150k but it depends upon personal circumstances. I would not consider myself rich below $350k. Consider it costs $1M plus to buy a house in many Melbourne suburbs now.

Labor is removing a lot of benefits for whom they consider rich. The baby bonus being an example. I presume the rich have paid their taxes even though the have less entitlement to benefits.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I would say "Well off".

Agreed

Certainly wouldnt mind that kind of money coming in every year...
Old May 18th 2008, 2:46 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wmoore
Well off for sure. You're earning a good crust above the average but I don't think that's anywhere near rich to be honest. On $150k, you could impulse buy a large plasma TV, rich means you could impulse buy a new car
I think we're in tune.

As for comfortable, I would put that somewhere around $100k
Old May 18th 2008, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

The real issue is whether you managed to get in on the property market when prices were still reasonable - i.e. before 2001. If you are planning to buy now and you have two kids you would only just be comfortable with a combined 150K in the big cities. If you bought in 2000 then you would be doing very nicely with enough discretionary income for overseas trips every year or two, weekend getaways, the occasional high class restaurant etc.
Old May 18th 2008, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

pre tax? or after tax?

either cuold make you secure/comfortable... neither would make you 'rich' .... unless of course you were making 150k off your capital investments.... then you might be rich...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.