Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Scottish Independence

Scottish Independence

Old Aug 28th 2014, 7:21 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Independence

Originally Posted by modicasa
and what has any of this this got to do with an Italy forum?
Maybe Lorna can move it to Al Fresco?

My relatives are voting to stay. Can't see it will make an immediate difference to passports for anyone expect the Scots.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

HADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond reputeHADENOUGHPIZZA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
...and to make it worse, as you already have a passport, you will not be eligible for a new one, and thus will be considered a stateless person; rendering you open to summary judgments outside of the rules governed by international conventions. The only safe thing to do will be to go off the grid.
My passport states on the fronr United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland . If Scotland votes to leave the United Kingdom then I'm fairly sure that my passport won't need renewing . In the event of Scotland voting YES then the estimates for independance are 3 -5 years during which I'm sure they'll deal with the issue I pressume Scotland would want to issue their own .
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:33 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Off to Al Fresco it goes ...........
Old Aug 28th 2014, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

DesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the rough

If you are a Scot independence may well have knock on effects if you live in Italy.
EU membership, Pensions, Passports, Embassy help and all the other reciprocal arrangements between Italy and the UK and thats just off the top of my head.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

DesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the roughDesiderataSicilia is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 37100
Maybe Lorna can move it to Al Fresco?

My relatives are voting to stay. Can't see it will make an immediate difference to passports for anyone expect the Scots.
Would they be the Scots who are currently part of the UK?
Old Aug 28th 2014, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by modicasa
and what has any of this this got to do with an Italy forum?
Oooh, quite a lot modicasa. Quite a lot of us can trace our origins perilously close to the old borders that were supposed to keep out Picts and Scots. My own home town was occupied by Mary Stuart and her folowers for some time. Family legend has it that there could well be some Scots/French genes in our make up. And if they decide to go in for ethnic cleansing, like what happened in ex Jugoslavia after the little republics like Serbia and Bosnia Herzogovina got their independence?. And no doubt England will slam terrible import duites on whiskey and Harris Tweed.
bye bye dicette l'inglese
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:25 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
Oooh, quite a lot modicasa. Quite a lot of us can trace our origins perilously close to the old borders that were supposed to keep out Picts and Scots. My own home town was occupied by Mary Stuart and her folowers for some time. Family legend has it that there could well be some Scots/French genes in our make up. And if they decide to go in for ethnic cleansing, like what happened in ex Jugoslavia after the little republics like Serbia and Bosnia Herzogovina got their independence?. And no doubt England will slam terrible import duites on whiskey and Harris Tweed.
In part, my origins are Glaswegian with a touch of Belgian.

Should Scotland leave the UK their citizens, having been born British, will still be entitled to a British passport. As will their children. Then what? Will they still be allowed British passports after all, it would only take a few years in British to be entitled to one anyway. As I said, my family (and one works for the oil companies) are, or would for those living outside Scotland at the moment, vote for staying.

Italian citizens born in Istria get very hot the collar if you say that they were born in Slovenia/Croatia. We have several Istrian friends who, due to changing borders have multiple passports.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
Let's not forget Haggis !! Can imagine what the cost may be per metric tons ? Heaven forbids... time to leave Europe ( I am told that China makes a nifty substitute for it )
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:46 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by DesiderataSicilia
Would they be the Scots who are currently part of the UK?
Sorry, what do you mean? Scotland is in the UK. If you mean, living in Scotland, yes some are.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 2:07 pm
Banned

NEWCOMO is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DesiderataSicilia
If you are a Scot independence may well have knock on effects if you live in Italy.
EU membership, Pensions, Passports, Embassy help and all the other reciprocal arrangements between Italy and the UK and thats just off the top of my head.
I would love to see a scottish ambassador to Italy... Imagine that... !
Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:26 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HADENOUGHPIZZA
My passport states on the fronr United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland . If Scotland votes to leave the United Kingdom then I'm fairly sure that my passport won't need renewing . In the event of Scotland voting YES then the estimates for independence are 3 -5 years during which I'm sure they'll deal with the issue I presume Scotland would want to issue their own .
I agree HEP. A ridiculous assertion that all British passports all become invalid in the event that less than 8% of the UK population elect to leave the Union.

I believe that a part of the United Kingdom already left without passports becoming invalid - I think it is now called the Republic of Ireland!

I was also surprised to see that someone believes that Scotland could keep all the oil money but not take their share of the national debt - that is optimism and naivety taken to the extreme.

All moot points anyway - the majority of Scots are too smart to vote yes!
Old Aug 28th 2014, 4:28 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 37100
Should Scotland leave the UK their citizens, having been born British, will still be entitled to a British passport. As will their children.
yep - what happened when part of the island of Ireland left the Union - this!
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
I agree HEP. A ridiculous assertion that all British passports all become invalid in the event that less than 8% of the UK population elect to leave the Union.

I believe that a part of the United Kingdom already left without passports becoming invalid - I think it is now called the Republic of Ireland!

I was also surprised to see that someone believes that Scotland could keep all the oil money but not take their share of the national debt - that is optimism and naivety taken to the extreme.
Actually when Ireland left the Union in 1921, there was no United Kingdom and Northern Ireland passports... this did not appear until much later (when Ireland became the Free State and formally left the British Commonwealth).

Since 1921, Ireland has been using passports, which initally were taken off Irish Citizens by the British as being invalid.

Today Passports are EU. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (which Great Britain consists of England, Scotland and Wales).

If Scotland goes independent, There is no legal definition in EU of Great Britain (England/Wales) so it would have to be re-negiotated with EU) and thus are invalid.

Scotland would immediately have to create passports/money/central bank/government (exactly like Ireland did in 1921).

With regard to the oil and the debt. Mr Darling stated that the BoE would not allow Scotland to the pound. So SNP stated that since they were not going to have the assets of the BoE, then they will not accept any liabilities either.

So Scotland would start with 0 assets and 0 liabilites but would have oil assets to amortise/put up for credit. This is more than what Ireland had.

I think Scotland will go independent, otherwise what will happen to them if the SNP loses.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
yep - what happened when part of the island of Ireland left the Union - this!
2 points.

The British are so arrogant that they still believe everyone wants a British Passport, so they offered this and Knighthoods to anyone born when Ireland was before the Irish Free State formed and was still formally in the Commonwealth.

The Irish government realised that in N.Ireland, this policy would also affect the number of Irish Citizens, also gave passports to anyone born on the Isle of Ireland otherwise, Irish citizens would reduce over time.
Hence most people in Northern Ireland have 2 passports.

Maybe when Scotland leaves the Union on 18th Sept, the word "British" also disappears from history.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NEWCOMO
2 points.

The British are so arrogant that they still believe everyone wants a British Passport, so they offered this and Knighthoods to anyone born when Ireland was before the Irish Free State formed and was still formally in the Commonwealth.

The Irish government realised that in N.Ireland, this policy would also affect the number of Irish Citizens, also gave passports to anyone born on the Isle of Ireland otherwise, Irish citizens would reduce over time.
Hence most people in Northern Ireland have 2 passports.

Maybe when Scotland leaves the Union on 18th Sept, the word "British" also disappears from history.
Well, we do have quite an interesting history to be arrogant about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.