Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

mosquitoes, cures and old wives remedies

mosquitoes, cures and old wives remedies

Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mosquitoes, cures and old wives remedies

I always find toothpaste on the bites stops them itching and usually takes the swelling down. I've never really found a decent repellent. When I was out for an evening picnic a couple of years ago I found rubbing beer on my legs kept them away - makes you smell a bit manky though!
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of times I've felt a stinging on my legs, looked down and there has been a fly on my leg. What are these flies and are they actually biting flies?
Old Jul 29th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DaniL
I always find toothpaste on the bites stops them itching and usually takes the swelling down. I've never really found a decent repellent. When I was out for an evening picnic a couple of years ago I found rubbing beer on my legs kept them away - makes you smell a bit manky though!

Toothpaste!!!!! I like the beer idea. I haven't heard the expression manky for ages. Are you from the North of England? We used to use it in Sheffield a lot.

Pete
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

pansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nicepansy is just really nice

washing up liquid works not bad if bitten stopps itching.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:25 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lindaf
A couple of times I've felt a stinging on my legs, looked down and there has been a fly on my leg. What are these flies and are they actually biting flies?
Yes, the flies bite. Well, I would find a fly on my leg and then a hole and a trail of blood sometimes. They are quite clever and in fact you do not feel them biting. Tricky buggers.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gio
Yes, the flies bite. Well, I would find a fly on my leg and then a hole and a trail of blood sometimes. They are quite clever and in fact you do not feel them biting. Tricky buggers.
Yes, in England we only had to worry about being bite by dogs!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

chasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pete Grey
Come on you motley lot. What do you put on the bites to stop them itching and what do you use to keep them from bitting in the first place.

I live in the centre of the rice growing of Monferrato so we have lots of the little and big buggers.

I will kick of with.

I rub a fresh lemon on the bite. It stops it itching and developing into a big red welt / spot. But it only seems to work if it is done straight away. I also don't know why it works.

I use anti zanzari spray but it doesn't seem to work very well. Maybe my blood is extra sweet.

Pete (bit to hell) Grey
I don't care anymore!, they've done their worst! Recently spent 6 months in Papua New Guinea and now get Malaria, on and off. Now I sometimes HOPE I get bitten just in case i've got any anti-malarial drugs still in bloodstream and just MIGHT make 'em a bit sick!
Old Jul 30th 2010, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

chasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nicechasdav is just really nice

Originally Posted by chasdav
I don't care anymore!, they've done their worst! Recently spent 6 months in Papua New Guinea and now get Malaria, on and off. Now I sometimes HOPE I get bitten just in case i've got any anti-malarial drugs still in bloodstream and just MIGHT make 'em a bit sick!
PS
i've found, like most parasites, (have you got teenage kids??!!), best just to ignore 'em and hope they'll go away!
Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

DaniL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pete Grey
Toothpaste!!!!! I like the beer idea. I haven't heard the expression manky for ages. Are you from the North of England? We used to use it in Sheffield a lot.

Pete
No, I'm from Kent. We say it there too.