Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

mosquitoes, cures and old wives remedies

mosquitoes, cures and old wives remedies

Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold
Red face mosquitoes, cures and old wives remedies

Come on you motley lot. What do you put on the bites to stop them itching and what do you use to keep them from bitting in the first place.

I live in the centre of the rice growing of Monferrato so we have lots of the little and big buggers.

I will kick of with.

I rub a fresh lemon on the bite. It stops it itching and developing into a big red welt / spot. But it only seems to work if it is done straight away. I also don't know why it works.

I use anti zanzari spray but it doesn't seem to work very well. Maybe my blood is extra sweet.

Pete (bit to hell) Grey
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

lilibet will become famous soon enoughlilibet will become famous soon enough
Default Re: mosquitoes, cures and old wives remedies

I too use an anti-zanzara spray the strongest being the tiger mosquito one - once bitten which happens regularly I use a cream called polarmin (have tried at least 10 others) it's the only one that works for me. auguri
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:32 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

I smother myself in Autan and hope for the best. I use Polarmin and similar too, but after a while it gives me a rash so I usually use Calmogel if I can get it. Takes a little longer to work, but it doesn't irritate me. Also works on rashes and burns. Annoyingly, they never bite hubby. He obviously doesn't taste nice.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Anderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura aboutAnderson Council has a spectacular aura about

I find a good way to avoid getting bitten is to invite guests over from England. The mozzies invariably pick on them and leave me alone. Unfortunately some guests turn out to be more annoying than mozzie bites.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Someone told me to put spot of clear nail-varnish on bite.....Not tried it though, living up high dont get many bites....
Old Jul 13th 2010, 2:05 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Nets help...

They bite me, which is annoying but if I ignore it its gone within 30 mins...vanished....

Vape do a spray in a pale green tin you can spray on clothes or yourself. I sprayed it on the bed before going to bed, it lasts 8 hours and neither of us got bitten and OH is allergic. The wipes in the same packaging seem effective too!!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 2:20 pm
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

anyone tried those anti mosquito cloths/scarves?
Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Anderson Council
I find a good way to avoid getting bitten is to invite guests over from England. The mozzies invariably pick on them and leave me alone. Unfortunately some guests turn out to be more annoying than mozzie bites.
My mum's whinging is worse than any mozzie bite!!
Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

My mil reckons eating marmite wards them off.... didn't work for her.... my mum reckons taking garlic supps... don't work for her.... I normally don't get bitten, but I did at the weekend in the mountains. Lemon juice works because the poison is alkaline and the acid neutralises it... vinegar also works well. Being a natural girlie I try and keep them out of the house. Use citronella in oil burners and I have citronella candles for outside. I tend to dab with cider vinegar straightaway and then use aloe vera gel later on for cooling and soothing.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

angeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to allangeli is a name known to all

Originally Posted by indiebird
My mum's whinging is worse than any mozzie bite!!
What about MIL's whinging....hope shower spotless...not a hair, however small visible Marmite eaten by the jar supposed to put mozzies off coz they dont like the smell, problem is its sticky and difficult to rub
Old Jul 13th 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by angeli
What about MIL's whinging....hope shower spotless...not a hair, however small visible Marmite eaten by the jar supposed to put mozzies off coz they dont like the smell, problem is its sticky and difficult to rub
MIL has one of those voices that makes it sound like she's always whinging!!! I made a point of telling her NOT to strip her bed, NOT to tidy up. I will do it all when I've got an empty house and it's easier... How can you tell people also that you've known them for a while and you realise they don't have much of a life but you have heard all their stories before and they're boring? In a diplomatic way naturally.....
Old Jul 13th 2010, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

JohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura aboutJohnD63 has a spectacular aura about

I gotten eaten alive last year so did a little investigating. Alot of people on various site recommended a product called Skin so soft (believe it or not) So in february i bought 10 bottles from the UK to last me through the summer. First try with this product left me covered in bites, second try with this product also left me covered in bites. Now i have nine and a half bottles of something that may as well be mosquito relish

I bought myself one of those tennis racket thingys that send out a high voltage electric charge which fries anything that flies into it. I wouldn't recommend touching it as it can give you a nasty shock
Old Jul 14th 2010, 6:11 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm lucky. The mozzies don't like me. I average about 3 to 5 bites over the entire summer and all I get is a tiny red spot that bothers me for a few seconds and that's it. I don't use anything on my skin and nothing in the house either - we don't seem to have as many mozzies here as other parts of Italy though. I have bought repellent in the past on holiday though for OH and one of my kids. I bought a green bottle of stuff one time, it was Vape Herbal I think. I took the lid off to sniff it thinking it would smell of herbs for some reason and the smell of ammonia was so strong it nearly knocked me out !

Not sure if every 'comune' is the same but you can get mozzie killer tablet things from ours (think size of dishwasher tabs) that you drop down the road drains or any other stagnant water. Might be worth asking in your comune if they have the same thing.

JohnD63. I like Avon Skin So Soft if it's the spray with the turquoise lid. I'll take a couple of bottles off your hands in exchange for a few Euro.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
Nets help...

They bite me, which is annoying but if I ignore it its gone within 30 mins...vanished....

Vape do a spray in a pale green tin you can spray on clothes or yourself. I sprayed it on the bed before going to bed, it lasts 8 hours and neither of us got bitten and OH is allergic. The wipes in the same packaging seem effective too!!
Think I will have a look at the Vape. They seem to find me quiet tasty and take huge bites.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JohnD63
I gotten eaten alive last year so did a little investigating. Alot of people on various site recommended a product called Skin so soft (believe it or not) So in february i bought 10 bottles from the UK to last me through the summer. First try with this product left me covered in bites, second try with this product also left me covered in bites. Now i have nine and a half bottles of something that may as well be mosquito relish

I bought myself one of those tennis racket thingys that send out a high voltage electric charge which fries anything that flies into it. I wouldn't recommend touching it as it can give you a nasty shock
I have seen the bats. Do they work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.