Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

mosquitoes, cures and old wives remedies

mosquitoes, cures and old wives remedies

Old Jul 15th 2010, 8:51 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mosquitoes, cures and old wives remedies

Originally Posted by Pete Grey
I have seen the bats. Do they work?

Hi Pete

Saw this thread by accident....yes the bats do work. And they are great for stress relief when you're having a bad day !!
I have found that using citronella oil works to stop you getting bitten - put some on cotton wool and rub it in a circle round the wrists, knees, ankles, elbows etc. I have never been bitten once using this - which is amazing because normally I would be like a mosquito's answer to a doughnut. At first it is a bit strong smelling but does mellow out. I even survived Mozambique without a single bite.
If you do get bitten, rub either vinegar or a piece of onion on it - takes the itch out straight away. Also those little pulse point things you can get at travel shops and airports work too.

Hope this helps
Dread - x
Old Jul 15th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to beholdPecora Nera is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Hi Pete

Saw this thread by accident....yes the bats do work. And they are great for stress relief when you're having a bad day !!
I have found that using citronella oil works to stop you getting bitten - put some on cotton wool and rub it in a circle round the wrists, knees, ankles, elbows etc. I have never been bitten once using this - which is amazing because normally I would be like a mosquito's answer to a doughnut. At first it is a bit strong smelling but does mellow out. I even survived Mozambique without a single bite.
If you do get bitten, rub either vinegar or a piece of onion on it - takes the itch out straight away. Also those little pulse point things you can get at travel shops and airports work too.

Hope this helps
Dread - x
I like the citronella oil bit. But I think I will need to bath in it. They bite me all over given half the chance. And up here we have the tiger mosquitoes (because of the many rice fields around here) that fly around during the day. bah
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:22 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

I like the citronella oil bit. But I think I will need to bath in it. They bite me all over given half the chance. And up here we have the tiger mosquitoes (because of the many rice fields around here) that fly around during the day. bah

By putting it on pulse points, that seems to deter the horrible little monsters.
Give it a try and hopefully your avatar will become a happy face.

If anyone you know is going to take a holiday in Goa or India, get them to bring you back some ODOMOS gel - available in every supermarket and pharmacy there - and it is fantastic stuff for keeping mossies away. It's also about 50p for a tube so get them to bring a good supply back.

Good luck with it

Dread - x
Old Jul 16th 2010, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really niceMr Posh is just really nice

I went to our local Ferramenta for some stuff and saw these plastic yellow bracelets that you can wear on your wrist or ankle and have to say they are great
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:46 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Think I will have a look at the Vape. They seem to find me quiet tasty and take huge bites.
It's a herbal one, but I think it's an improved version of whatever has been out before. I used one of the wipes last night as there were a few bzzing around and I didn't get bitten once..!
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Ciao tutti, well if you are animal lovers a warm blooded cat, dog, or rabbit in the room will keep the mozzies off you - they have a warmer body temperature which is what attracts the female mosquito anyway.
I'm not an animal lover, so stick to my marmite addiction - it works!
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ononno
Ciao tutti, well if you are animal lovers a warm blooded cat, dog, or rabbit in the room will keep the mozzies off you - they have a warmer body temperature which is what attracts the female mosquito anyway.
I'm not an animal lover, so stick to my marmite addiction - it works!
ciao for now,
'o nonno
My OH got bitten last night for the 1st time but not me.... maybe he's more warm-blooded than me....
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:49 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

It's not really about blood though is it? That's a myth isn't it? Isn't it all about body chemicals and skin scent rather than warm blood, sweet blood etc?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:59 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

We still get bitten with 2 cats in the place...not seen them scratching either!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:01 pm
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Yes, Nail varnish is the best thing for stopping the itch once you have been bitten. It works. Just don't do what my friend did and use bright red varnish...she looked like she had a bad case of some weird lurg!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice.Ariel. is just really nice

Surround yourself with geranium and basil plants. Go on.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

PAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to beholdPAT M is a splendid one to behold

We use Autan stick (it lasts longer than the spray and you don't risk having to breathe it in). It seems to work on bites as well to soothe the itching. I have found that rubbing the wet side of a bar of soap on an itchy bite works really well, as the soap dries hey presto the itching's gone.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

lindaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PAT M
We use Autan stick (it lasts longer than the spray and you don't risk having to breathe it in).
Re breathing in the spray - by the time I've sprayed the spray everywhere I've nearly knocked myself out, never mind the mosquitoes.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:59 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAT M
We use Autan stick (it lasts longer than the spray and you don't risk having to breathe it in). It seems to work on bites as well to soothe the itching. I have found that rubbing the wet side of a bar of soap on an itchy bite works really well, as the soap dries hey presto the itching's gone.
Always used the stick, but haven't been able to get one our way this year. Hubby complains because Monroe went to bed wearing just a drop of Chanel and he gets me smothered in Autan.

Last edited by 37100; Jul 23rd 2010 at 6:07 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 37100
Always used the stick, but haven't been able to get one our way this year. Hubby complains because Monroe went to go to bed wearing just a drop of Chanel and he gets me smothered in Autan.
She can't have been that great, she went thru more husbands than you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.