Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

anyone know how they got my phone number

anyone know how they got my phone number

Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute
Default anyone know how they got my phone number

I just had a phone call with the number withheld. The person spoke to me in English with a heavy Indian accent telling me that he is from computer support and that they have noticed my computer has some malware in it.
I told him to spare me his bull***t and if he calls me again I will report and trace his call.
How did he know I was an English speaker with an Italian landline phone?
Do these scammers have a list of English sounding names?
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:39 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone know how they got my phone number

Originally Posted by Isakat
I just had a phone call with the number withheld. The person spoke to me in English with a heavy Indian accent telling me that he is from computer support and that they have noticed my computer has some malware in it.
I told him to spare me his bull***t and if he calls me again I will report and trace his call.
How did he know I was an English speaker with an Italian landline phone?
Do these scammers have a list of English sounding names?
They buy lists from all sorts of places, the places selling don't really know they are scammers, but will seel to anyone who buys on line from them etc. It's one good reason the ensure that any little box on your screen when you order that syas' we pass on you details to other companies offering similar services' etc. and ensure that it is uncked or checked depending on the form, before you send it. Many people just click 'submit' without reading that bit.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

It might be a coincidence, but a few days ago I contacted the credit card company and spoke to a chap in India. What if somehow they have passed my credit card number and are now trying to get into my PC for the security codes/password?
I do not keep them there, but they might get them when I used them for online shopping.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:23 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute

It might probably be the case that someone in a call centre in India is passing contact details or are scammers on the side.

The scam is to connect to your PC and claim that there is a virus for which they will charge you a fee to clean it. They might or might not also install spying software when they 'clean' your PC of the virus.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duffer
It might probably be the case that someone in a call centre in India is passing contact details or are scammers on the side.

The scam is to connect to your PC and claim that there is a virus for which they will charge you a fee to clean it. They might or might not also install spying software when they 'clean' your PC of the virus.
I think the same Duffer. I have sent an email to the c/c company to investigate.
Are people really that naive that they will let someone call them and mess with their computer?
It reminded me of the Nigerian who contacted my DD on Skype, asking for bank account details so that she can leave money( dying from cancer in hospital, no kids, husband got killed in the Concord plane crash!).
Old Sep 13th 2013, 8:49 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

There is a scammy email doing the rounds again from "Poste Italia" asking you to confirm your account details etc. so if you get it ..... delete it.