Uk Passport 2 year old

Old Jun 20th 2014, 8:39 am
Just Joined

nickdasysa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk Passport 2 year old

Good Morning
I am an English citizen who has been in South Africa for 7 years and married to a south African for the last two years. We have a two year old son and i would like to know how I go about getting a British passport for him his birth in south Africa has not been registered with a british consulate.

Any help on this matter would really be very appreciated.

Thanks

Nick
Old Jun 22nd 2014, 5:13 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Passport 2 year old

Originally Posted by nickdasysa
Good Morning
I am an English citizen who has been in South Africa for 7 years and married to a south African for the last two years. We have a two year old son and i would like to know how I go about getting a British passport for him his birth in south Africa has not been registered with a british consulate.

Any help on this matter would really be very appreciated.

Thanks

Nick
Google is your friend.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

You can check here too: https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passp...-you-can-apply and https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports.

It doesn't make any difference whether you registered the birth with the British Consulate or not. We didn't do this for either of our kids, and they both applied for and received their passports in the usual way.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 11:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Births in South Africa cannot be registered with the British authorities. Instead you apply directly for a passport.
Old Aug 25th 2014, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
That's not Google!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Births in South Africa cannot be registered with the British authorities. Instead you apply directly for a passport.
OK. It was common practice years ago, and many people did register the birth of their children with the consulate. We didn't bother because they confirmed that it was just for the record, and had no further implications. The kids were British citizens by birth. I think it just meant that they had to submit some additional documentation when they applied for passports.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:03 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
OK. It was common practice years ago, and many people did register the birth of their children with the consulate. We didn't bother because they confirmed that it was just for the record, and had no further implications. The kids were British citizens by birth. I think it just meant that they had to submit some additional documentation when they applied for passports.
There was a registration process available previously but that was many years ago now. The same applies to the other former Dominions (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland) as it was judged that their birth registration procedures were close enough to the UK's not to warrant operating a service.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritInParis
There was a registration process available previously but that was many years ago now. The same applies to the other former Dominions (Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland) as it was judged that their birth registration procedures were close enough to the UK's not to warrant operating a service.
Fair enough, my children were born 30 years ago, and a lot of people believed that failing to register a birth with the consulate jeopardised the kid's British citizenship. We were advised that it wasn't necessary and didn't make any difference.