Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Marrakech - guillez jobs

Marrakech - guillez jobs

Old Sep 22nd 2014, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Marrakech2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrakech - guillez jobs

Hi can someone please help with this, any help would be much appreciated. First time writing this so apologies for any mistakes.

I have just returned from Marrakech (3rd time) as was on holiday. I am so in love with this city it's unbelievable. I was hoping to get some advice regarding jobs in the Guillez area. By profession I am a deputy customer experience leader however I would love to teach English, I currently don't have any teaching experience but I've heard that it's easy to do a TEFL Course which could help. Just need help with this as obviously you guys are more pro's in this than anyone else.

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 8:21 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrakech - guillez jobs

I think you'll struggle without any teaching experience. I'm just applying for a work visa, and the list of documents they require is as long as your arm (I don't work in the education sector, but I think the requirement is generic). Do you have a degree? That will be important. Also remember that Morocco's relatively poor, and the elite tend to be educated abroad. Having said that, many middle-class Moroccans speak excellent English, so there may be openings.

I also think that you're putting up a pretty big barrier if you only want to work in one part of the city. It's not very big, after all.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi @bahtatboy thanking you for messaging.
May I ask what sort of job you are going for? And can you apply for a work visa and then search for a job once in Marrakech?
I have a degree in Business Management (which helps with my current job role) however nothing on teaching as of yet, I thought this TEFL Certificate (which I'm looking into) should help with basic English teaching.

Your right, Guillez is pretty small, I think I was thinking more of staying in this area as this was the third time I stayed in this part of Marrakech. I wouldn't mind travelling at all.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:18 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marrakech2014
Hi @bahtatboy thanking you for messaging.
May I ask what sort of job you are going for? And can you apply for a work visa and then search for a job once in Marrakech?
I have a degree in Business Management (which helps with my current job role) however nothing on teaching as of yet, I thought this TEFL Certificate (which I'm looking into) should help with basic English teaching.

Your right, Guillez is pretty small, I think I was thinking more of staying in this area as this was the third time I stayed in this part of Marrakech. I wouldn't mind travelling at all.
Hi, I'm in engineering, so totally unrelated. I doubt you'd be able to apply for a work visa without a job--my application is being done by my employer, and in my experience in many countries work visas are always dependent upon having a job (unless you're accompanying a spouse who has a visa in his/her own name). However, I'll ask...

I would imagine that a degree in Business Management may be attractive, I'll ask around (not in Marrakech, but still in Morocco).

I agree with you that Marrakech is totally fascinating. I was there with my family earlier this year (as well as a couple of times on my own), and we had a good time. However, you need to be of a certain mind-set to be able to put up with it full-time, but no doubt it suits some people. I've been in Morocco for a year and a half, and its an ok place to live.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Hey once again thanks for replying, really appreciate it!
If you can ask around and get back to me this would be awesome.
I do sometimes think if I had done engineering or medicine courses at uni I probably would've stood a better chance of getting a job abroad (you require brains for these subjects, hats off to you).

I've only stayed in Marrakech a week every time I've visited however I'm just so in love with this place it's unbelievable. The people are so welcoming, it honestly feels second home to me. I've went with friends each time I've went and not on my own yet but hopefully there's of loads of things there to keep me going. It may sound sad but going for walks on my own just before sunset was amazing. Which is why I have now decided I really want to go and live there.
So your actually living there just now? I think your one lucky person at least trying something different (if it didn't work for me at least I'd be thinking I've tried it instead of "what if")
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:07 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Marrakech2014
Hey once again thanks for replying, really appreciate it!
If you can ask around and get back to me this would be awesome.
I do sometimes think if I had done engineering or medicine courses at uni I probably would've stood a better chance of getting a job abroad (you require brains for these subjects, hats off to you).

I've only stayed in Marrakech a week every time I've visited however I'm just so in love with this place it's unbelievable. The people are so welcoming, it honestly feels second home to me. I've went with friends each time I've went and not on my own yet but hopefully there's of loads of things there to keep me going. It may sound sad but going for walks on my own just before sunset was amazing. Which is why I have now decided I really want to go and live there.
So your actually living there just now? I think your one lucky person at least trying something different (if it didn't work for me at least I'd be thinking I've tried it instead of "what if")
Certainly, if you're determined then pull out all the stops and go for it. Don't live thinking "what if".

I live on the coast, south of Casablanca. I've lived abroad a fair bit, but this stint's just for the money; however, as I said, Morocco's ok, and in the limited free time I have there are things to amuse me. The culture's a bit thin on the ground, and I couldn't put up with the chaos if I wasn't fully immersed in work, but each to his or her own. Marrakech, however, could certainly be fun...

I'll try to get some info for you.
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Certainly, if you're determined then pull out all the stops and go for it. Don't live thinking "what if".

I live on the coast, south of Casablanca. I've lived abroad a fair bit, but this stint's just for the money; however, as I said, Morocco's ok, and in the limited free time I have there are things to amuse me. The culture's a bit thin on the ground, and I couldn't put up with the chaos if I wasn't fully immersed in work, but each to his or her own. Marrakech, however, could certainly be fun...

I'll try to get some info for you.
Thanking you. When I used this site I honestly thought no one would reply for some reason (maybe because I've not used these forums before), much appreciated though.
Casablanca sounds fun too, mainly why I prefer Marrakech is because it's full of tourists aswell, hence it's a mixture of culture, the eye candy is wow too! Haha
So how long do you think you'll be living in Morocco till?
I've visited dubai 3 times (family holidays) and love that country aswell so either of these countries would be a dream come true - working there.
I think for me the main attraction is weather - imagine waking up every day knowing what the weather will be like (here in Scotland you get four different seasons in the one day), then it's the people as they're so welcoming. And lastly it's that lifestyle. (Obviously the wage too but don't expect it to be the same as UK so that's something I can compromise with)
Old Sep 27th 2014, 7:44 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Excellent information can be found in the BE Wiki, not forgetting the Living and Moving Abroad forum that will help you, another set of great help is the permanent threads at the TOP of each forum, they are very pertinent to that particular forum and makes sensible reading.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary