Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Trade your Brit passport for S African passport??

Trade your Brit passport for S African passport??

Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:29 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Trade your Brit passport for S African passport??

Originally Posted by Piccolo
The article said 10 people shot not murdered. I do not agree with the present SA government treatment or lack of treatment of HIV patients. As Aids has now been around for over 20 years can you tell me what the old government did to prevent the disease or treat it?

Chatted to Zimbabwean. nurse yesterday and asked if her people were affected by the slum clearance. Her reply was that it was only the strteet people!
The old S.A. government had an Aids awareness campaign going on before the current gov't took over, specifically targeted at the township kids.

The first cases were in the mid-80's if memory serves me, and just like everywhere else in the world, gay white men were believed to be the only carriers of the disease.

The point is that the current govt has been around for over 11 years now; the years in which more data etc.. has become available, and yet, what have they done? Denied HIV causes Aids for years.

And on top of the denying, they SHOOT peaceful protestors who are protesting the fact that they're doing bugger all to help anyone with it.

Chatted to Zimbabwean. nurse yesterday and asked if her people were affected by the slum clearance. Her reply was that it was only the strteet people!
For an eye witness account of what has happened in Zimbabwe the past few years, go here..... http://africantears.netfirms.com/

Saturday 18th June 2005

Dear Family and Friends,
I am in deep shock at the situation in Marondera as the government's "Operation Restore Order" to cleanse the town has gone into its third week. Everywhere you look you see only desperation, fear and shock on people's faces. Everyone is saying the same thing : "But why are they doing this to us, what are we going to do, where can we go, we are going to die." On a short drive around Marondera town the aftermath is there for all who care to see. There are mounds of rubble on street corners, stacks of timber, tin and asbestos piled on road sides, dismantled pre-fabricated houses leaning against trees and people staring in shock at what was there one day and gone the next.

In a piece of grassy waste land near a big supermarket I saw a woman sitting surrounded by her life's possessions on Friday morning. A battered kettle, a plastic basin and a small pile of clothes tied up in a blanket. In the town you can see many people still desperately looking for somewhere to stay after their homes have been demolished. Young women carrying suitcases with babies strapped on their backs, calling to others for advice - "where can we go", "do you know of anywhere". On one street corner I saw a man sitting on top of a pile of rubble and next to him in the dust and filth were a battered cardboard suitcase, a rolled up grass sleeping mat and a small wardrobe. Another man passed me on the main road pushing a supermarket trolley which was crammed with his life's possessions - pots and pans, a tin bucket, a thin foam mattress and a threadbare grey blanket.

At the bus stop on the outskirts of Marondera town, at least a hundred people wait, surging out into the road as every vehicle approaches, desperate for a lift. After three months of chronic fuel shortages lifts are few and far between and most people travel only when they have to.

This week on state owned television there was film footage of this "cleansing" operation starting on farms. Peasant farmers, surrounded by their furniture, clothes and harvested crops, being evicted from the farms that the government seized from white commercial farmers. This week there was also the news that one of just a few commercial farmers left in Marondera was forced off his land. He had to leave behind the export crop of flowers and the fields of newly germinated winter wheat.

It is ironic that while hundreds of thousands of people continue to be forced into poverty in Zimbabwe, pop stars and politicians are planning to "make poverty history" in Africa and world leaders talk about forgiving us our debt. There seems no sense to this whatsoever. Please keep the utterly desperate plight of hundreds of thousands of displaced Zimbabweans in your minds and prayers.
With love, cathy
Note. That is just her account from Marondera; a small town to the east of Harare. It has been much worse in Harare.

Sad, isn't it?

Last edited by izibear; Jul 15th 2005 at 1:39 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Originally Posted by sa2oz
Only shot, so that makes it OK?
As far as I can discover these drugs have only become acceptable in the last 10 years or so. The old govmnt were never offered anything for free like your new Minister of Health

I did not say only shot made it OK. Just that after reading 10 murdered I looked for it on the news and could not find it.

In Uganda all over the country there are bill posts warning of Aids and the need to take precautions. I never saw any signs in South Africa when I visited.
Old Jul 15th 2005, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pablo
Rina Venter, who was the last Minister of Health under the old Nat. government, commented recently that all the plans they made prior to 1994 to fight Aids were scrapped by the incoming ANC government.
It saddens me that they don't care one whit about the people they've been elected to govern.

One of the worst examples is BEE. So many folk who had successful companies employing hundreds if not thousands sometimes, have closed the companies down, (many of them going for two or three decades), because they've been told they have to give away 51% of shares to a minority or else....millions have lost their jobs over the last few years due to this labor practice. I don't blame them for closing the companies. I mean, if I worked my butt off for years to get it off the ground, especially in a dog eat dog economy that is S.A., there is no way in hell I'm giving up control of my company.

But bravo for Mbeki's brother, who speaks out against the current SA government's excesses. How Thabo must hate him!

Pablo
I agree. We got the wrong Mbeki as president.....
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Scouse
That is rich, coming from somebody with Canadian PR as well as Australian PR.
I think one of 'the old racists' is called sunlover.
No what's rich is that you know absolutely NOTHING about me...

Without wishing to justify myself to you or anyone else, the reason I have both Canadian and Australian PR status is because I have been transferred by my American employer to different parts of the world over the past 10 years. My emigrating has had nothing to do with racism and everything to do with my career and simply wanting to see the rest of the world.

You may also have read that we intend returning to South Africa as soon as we have enough money to be financially independent there.

In all my time overseas I have never once run down or criticised South Africa. I just cannot understand why so many people who leave feel that they have to justify their decision by doing so ?

It's sad that you have to make yourself feel better about your decision by constantly dwelling on negativity instead of recognising the many advancements and improvements that HAVE occurred in South Africa - the adoption of basic human rights for one !
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunlover
In all my time overseas I have never once run down or criticised South Africa.
Is all criticism of SA unacceptable in your view, or just certain types of criticism? Furthermore, is it that you see nothing that merits criticism, or that, seeing it, you decide to remain quiet about it?

Assuming you do accept that a person is justified in criticising, which people are permitted to do this and which, in your view, are not? In other words, what qualifies or disqualifies a critic to criticise?

I note that it is relatively easy for anyone to live in SA, or indeed anywhere, if he has an independent income, and is thus untouched by political or social realities that affect the ability of the common people to earn a living and survive. A kind of semi-detached existence, and, I daresay, much to be envied.

But why must you wait until you have an independent income before returning to SA? Isn't that, well, rather elitist of you? Can you not leave your American employer and work for a South African company? Wouldn't that be nobler of you? Doesn't your country need you NOW? Why wait, when you could be back there doing your bit?

Best wishes, Pablo
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Pablo
Is all criticism of SA unacceptable in your view, or just certain types of criticism? Furthermore, is it that you see nothing that merits criticism, or that, seeing it, you decide to remain quiet about it?

Assuming you do accept that a person is justified in criticising, which people are permitted to do this and which, in your view, are not? In other words, what qualifies or disqualifies a critic to criticise?

I note that it is relatively easy for anyone to live in SA, or indeed anywhere, if he has an independent income, and is thus untouched by political or social realities that affect the ability of the common people to earn a living and survive. A kind of semi-detached existence, and, I daresay, much to be envied.

But why must you wait until you have an independent income before returning to SA? Isn't that, well, rather elitist of you? Can you not leave your American employer and work for a South African company? Wouldn't that be nobler of you? Doesn't your country need you NOW? Why wait, when you could be back there doing your bit?

Best wishes, Pablo
I really don't intend to get into a long philosophical debate regarding the morals of criticism Pablo.

Suffice to say that we all have family and friends who still live in South Africa. Constant criticism is never going to bring back the "old" SA as much as you (not I) may wish that it would. However what it does do is discourage investment in SA and Tourism to SA and THAT hurts everyone in South Africa including our families and friends.

You say that being financially independent will insulate me from the realities of living in South Africa ? When in reality our reason for wanting to be financially independent is so that when we return we can buy a South African business and provide jobs. I consider that to be more of a contribution to SA than simply becoming another employee of a South African company and taking a job that someone else could have.

Last edited by Sunlover; Jul 20th 2005 at 10:19 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Suffice to say that we all have family and friends who still live in South Africa. Constant criticism is never going to bring back the "old" SA as much as you (not I) may wish that it would. However what it does do is discourage investment in SA and Tourism to SA and THAT hurts everyone in South Africa including our families and friends.
Well it is excellent then that you are going to set up a business and provide jobs. I am astonished, though, that you equate criticism with an attempt to bring back the old SA, and furthermore that you suggest that this is my motivation.

From what you say, it sounds as if you believed criticism should be suppressed in order to protect investment and tourism. Now *that* is reminiscent of the "old" South Africa.

Best wishes, Pablo
Old Jul 20th 2005, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

autra will become famous soon enoughautra will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Trade your Brit passport for S African passport??

I really don't intend to get into a long philosophical debate regarding the morals of criticism Pablo.

You say that being financially independent will insulate me from the realities of living in South Africa ? When in reality our reason for wanting to be financially independent is so that when we return we can buy a South African business and provide jobs. I consider that to be more of a contribution to SA than simply becoming another employee of a South African company and taking a job that someone else could have.
Hi i have been reading your thread, and it is good to now , that people are still going to return to , south Africa, were did you stay ?, and when did you leave ?, , we have a lot of friend still over there that are planning to return to the u.k, , says its just too bad now. , we were last there 2 yr ago , and still in love with the country , we are also moving to south Australia, how does it compare.