Affirmative action

Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:08 am
Banned

Numpty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affirmative action

Is affirmative action still rife in S.A? Is there any point in a returning white male with PR trying to find work over there? I am an electrician/electronics technician/computer technician.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:31 pm
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Affirmative action

Originally Posted by Numpty
Is affirmative action still rife in S.A? Is there any point in a returning white male with PR trying to find work over there? I am an electrician/electronics technician/computer technician.
Hi Numpty, AA and BEE are very much still in operation. Saying that, we are returning with no illusions and my husband is more or less in the same line of work as you. His best bet is to start up on his own, and see how it goes.
Why not have a look at some of the websites for jobs such as www.pnet.co.za and www.careerjunction.co.za. Also which area are you considering? Still the same story with more work in Jhb.
Best of luck.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:32 am
Just Joined

GRANiTe is on a distinguished road

AA is definitely still rife and not going to end very soon either. "A sunset clause for affirmative action is not on the cards. And if the minister of labour has his way, it will also never see the light of day."

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...744335,00.html

Grant
Old Aug 4th 2005, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Numpty
I wish you the best mate, but think you are good to be asking this question. Certainly there is work to be had for a white male willing to start his own business, working for peanuts, but you'll need money because no bank will lend the starting capital to you - stats say that only 1 in 10 new businesses make it through the first year.

And if you are successful? Expect to be expected to have a BEE (black) partner if you want to tender for municipal & other jobs. Even for electrician jobs on building sites.

I wish you the best but would not be making the move you are planning to make if my family's financial future were at stake.