Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

At the risk of being silly, is there anything positive to be said about SA?

At the risk of being silly, is there anything positive to be said about SA?

Old Jul 14th 2007, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

hahahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: At the risk of being silly, is there anything positive to be said about SA?

Originally Posted by Pablo
I'll tell you why these things get so little coverage on places like the BBC and in the general press.
Well it may be underreported against the US (what isn't?) but it's VERY overhyped compared to other parts of the world.

Google 'murder capital world' with 'Colombia' then try it with 'South Africa' and see how many results come up. Then try Medellin with Johannesburg - Medellin (the REAL murder capital of the world) trounced Jo'burg and everywhere else for homicides until recently.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At the risk of being silly, is there anything positive to be said about SA?

Originally Posted by hahahaha
Well it may be underreported against the US (what isn't?) but it's VERY overhyped compared to other parts of the world.

Google 'murder capital world' with 'Colombia' then try it with 'South Africa' and see how many results come up. Then try Medellin with Johannesburg - Medellin (the REAL murder capital of the world) trounced Jo'burg and everywhere else for homicides until recently.
I'm sure you're right that Google will come up with a good deal that misses the mainstream media - the BBC and the newspapers in the UK, in this instance.

If you live in France, you will find the French report far more on French speaking areas of the world than the British do. This has nothing to do with the inherent newsworthiness of the news from those places, but the linguistic and historical ties. Same applies to Britain's interest in places like SA.

Your average Brit, and your average emigrating Brit, couldn't give a fig about life in Colombia. He probably wouldn't even know where Colombia is.

Pablo
Old Jul 14th 2007, 8:51 am

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure you're right that Google will come up with a good deal that misses the mainstream media - the BBC and the newspapers in the UK, in this instance.

If you live in France, you will find the French report far more on French speaking areas of the world than the British do. This has nothing to do with the inherent newsworthiness of the news from those places, but the linguistic and historical ties. Same applies to Britain's interest in places like SA.

Your average Brit, and your average emigrating Brit, couldn't give a fig about life in Colombia. He probably wouldn't even know where Colombia is.

Pablo
What a brit that went to school in the US? Probably could find the town they live in.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:15 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

No, do you?
Yes. Here's one.
http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/...itchcraft.html

two.
http://archives.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/e.../mandela.muti/

three.
http://www.factnet.org/cults/Sangoma/index.html

Sod it ... just Google 'muti murders', and find them for yourself.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 9:30 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

No, do you?
I don't have sats but do know that most times I get onto a SA online news site it s just riddled with it.

Actually even one of these slaughters is more than enough for me.

I think most people too - don't you agree ??
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

hahahaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Campbells
I don't have sats but do know that most times I get onto a SA online news site it s just riddled with it.

Actually even one of these slaughters is more than enough for me.

I think most people too - don't you agree ??
Absolutely.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:54 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Are you trying to say that most of the people on this board are stupid? Back off buddy. You are well up your own arse.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:11 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Are you trying to say that most of the people on this board are stupid? Back off buddy. You are well up your own arse.
I think you are well out of order as well as wrong in your interpretation.

The “back off buddy” is way too aggressive.

Cheers
Old Jul 15th 2007, 9:03 pm

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
I think you're the only one that interpreted it that way. I for one know what he meant and that was that "Columbia has such little impact on their lives that they couldn't even tell you exactly where it is on the map". People are more likely to be interested in things if it has an impact on their lives in some way, but I've never even heard anything about Columbia on the news in the UK.

I for one know in which country it is, but couldn't just point it out on a map and I am by no means thick.

I second what Campbell said, your post is very aggressive.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 10:30 pm
NTS
NTS

NTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant future

The only thing you proove is that there are more articles on the internet about South Africa than Columbia. Well done!
Old Jul 15th 2007, 10:42 pm
NTS
NTS

NTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant futureNTS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Campbells
Which is another reason why stats do not really reflect the true state of SA or Africa for that matter.
I agree. I think some other countries are less safe (for white eurpoeans) than SA even thought he overall murder rate is lower. For example Nigeria, Cote D'ivoire, parts of south america, Iran. Places where white europeans are targeted for one reason or another.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 4:39 am
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

I'm not even interested whether we have the highest or second highest crime rate .I just want us to be nowhere near that end of the scale.
Its just too bad that so many people here trawl the online news sites for the worst news coming out of SA. I'd like to see them do the same for the good news stories.
I would suggest that the person who started this thread do his homework on S.A and come with an open mind . He might even have a great time contrary to all the bad news betties.
Just a month ago I met two ladies from the UK who came over for a friends wedding they have been scared stiff by all around them prior to departing .According to them they had a blast all without incident. Now dont get me wrong anything could have happened , but they arrived forewarned and took care while here. As one should when going to a country youre unfamiliar with.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 5:48 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
I'd like to see them do the same for the good news stories.

Here's a good start -

http://www.maropeng.co.za/

http://www.southafrica.info/plan_tri...eng-061205.htm

Looks like a great place!!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

...Another one who had a blast, reported today.

ROBBERS KILL BMW BOSS
A Gauteng father was murdered in front of his teenage daughter.
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?newsl...5a1a20070716at

Pablo
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

juggernaut, mayhaps you can solve my problem?
I love reading good news stories about SA,I want to read more.
but real good news stories, like the the youngster in the Sunday Times who has fiddled his mentors chemical recipe for rocket fuel and made it faster,cheaper, better,
He thanks his mother who did'nt mind explosions in the kitchen and his Grandfather who taught science.
Or the teacher who last year had another 100% matriculation pass rate from an incredibly poor school with NO facilities.
He and his colleagues just taught and taught, gave free private lessons to those who were struggling and , umpteenth year running, magic matriculation rate.

or the good samaritans who help each other...
all the good news stories are swamped, firstly by obvious spin stories where the facts tend to be stretched or slightly massaged, by bad news stories that tend to be under reported or not even mentioned.

i'll give you two small for instances, hidden away in the press back to the 21st of july is a report that the Lindela Repatriation Camp that figures so prominently, is run by a private consortium, nothing major, but they get paid ZAR 260,000 per day, wether they have one inmate or 3000.
no-one knows who owns this little business Leading Prospects (Pty) ltd
but the Home Affairs spokesman has canned any further comment till the enquiry is finished.
The next is a proud little piece in tonights News24, of the 5 Hi-jackers and rapists who took a group of women to the fields outside westville a week ago, 3 have been arrested...
That's great news.... what hi-jacking and rape of a group of women in Westville , Natal a week ago???
Where was it reported, I have very good friends in Westville, Durban, I would have noticed a report.

So here's my problem, juggernaut, I know Johannesburg like the back of my hand, because of business and family, I am in almost daily contact , if enough sh*t does'nt get reported then I start doubting that which is.
And when I see people in denial, it aint that bad if you're careful, live in the right places, etc... i really loved Jaunita's comment in this one tonight:
Benoni police issued some advice to motorists on Monday to help them avoid hijacking.

"... some motorists are rather lax when it comes to their own safety and that of their passengers. We would be shirking our responsibility if we do not advise motorists how to perhaps avoid becoming a crime victim," said Inspector Juanita Kilian.
http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...1722915C699168

If you are'nt as careful as a Spitfire pilot in the WW2, it's your fault.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.