Is this offensive?

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:20 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice
Default Re: Is this offensive?

South Africa is a highly abnormal society which defines itself by the colour of their skin above all.

It is NORMAL for people to think of themselves this way Stanley, and you know that mate. It is you that is trying to stir here.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:24 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redlippie
South Africa is a highly abnormal society which defines itself by the colour of their skin above all.

It is NORMAL for people to think of themselves this way Stanley, and you know that mate. It is you that is trying to stir here.
Just like a large portion of the continent. I am waiting to find out what issues behold the purple people. Of course the man is tossing manure to see the outcome. May he roll in it if that is what floats his boat..........
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:29 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

*whistle*
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:35 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, got my baby pool filled with mud and spoiling for a mud fight - kind of makes us all look the same after awhile. Just keep it out of the eyes......
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Redlippie

Really? Then I must be abnormal., or maybe just not racist
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Stanley10
Really? Then I must be abnormal., or maybe just not racist
Racism...it rears its ugly head again.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

You brought it up.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 6:31 am
Just Joined

FrankieM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
You claim you are offended yet acknowledge you don't know the culture. So what does that say about your reaction based on an assumption of what these people had indicated about their description of themselves.
I was offended because if this enquiry came from the UK it would be offensive. I am posting here to ask if in South Africa it is normal to describe yourself as white or black in the course of a rental enquiry, because I do not know if it is. It's quite straightforward.

So ........ even though you found it offensive, did you rent your house to them?

Would you have been equally offended if they had emailed you and said they were a black south african family?
I did not rent to them.

I would not have found it offensive if they had said they were a black South African family, just a bit weird. This is because black people are historically the oppressed, white people the oppressors. So "we are a black South African family" would be more innocent to me.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:09 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile

You are on shaky ground here dude, I have just seen the comment you posted on one of my threads and I consider that comment may possibly be racist.
If you've ever lived in Africa, you would know the facts behind the statement
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:13 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1066
If you've ever lived in Africa, you would know the facts behind the statement
Well done! you have managed to flick the dial into racist teritory. I knew you could do it
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:21 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done! you have managed to flick the dial into racist teritory. I knew you could do it
I think you are the racist, mate. What you know about Africa probably came off a packet of free-trade dates.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:03 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1066
I think you are the racist, mate. What you know about Africa probably came off a packet of free-trade dates.

Thats right you call a whole contient canibals, and I'm the racist?

You make me laugh long time!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FrankieM
I was offended because if this enquiry came from the UK it would be offensive. I am posting here to ask if in South Africa it is normal to describe yourself as white or black in the course of a rental enquiry, because I do not know if it is. It's quite straightforward.

I did not rent to them.

I would not have found it offensive if they had said they were a black South African family, just a bit weird. This is because black people are historically the oppressed, white people the oppressors. So "we are a black South African family" would be more innocent to me.
Hi Frankie M,
Purely for informations sake, I understand from some friends that French landlords sometimes have concern regarding renting to Emigrants from North Africa?Any idea why?

One of the fun parts of the Cultural differences in the New South Africa is the African tradition to slaughter either a cow or Goat when there is a celebration such as a wedding.
Which is fine unles it happens to be your new neighbours and they are doing it in their Front Garden..which is a bit messy and different from the Norm in a middle class suburb.

Here in Ireland, if you are a member of the Traveling Community ie gypsies, you may also have some difficulty in finding rental accomodation and if you happen to be touring Ireland with a caravan,make sure it does not have Double axles as most caravan Parks will be fully booked when they see your caravan.

After the Race Riots in France ,so vividly shown on TV,I too would have given the Landlord as much information as I could to allay any fears there might be.
But then the French would never look down on people such as Ros Bifs or "Barbouzes" would they?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:40 am
Happily hungover

Thats right you call a whole contient canibals, and I'm the racist?

You make me laugh long time!
You might try reading some more about Butt Naked and his mates ....... cannabalism was the least of his specialities.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:32 am
Happily hungover

Originally Posted by FrankieM
A "liberal" mind never ceases to amaze me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.