Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Old Jun 4th 2006, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Have they run out of passports? Or people to process the passports?

One of the new rules is you can't get into the UK on a temporary South African passport.

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Speaking of passports, anyone know if they're resolved the problem with renewing a passport due to the shortage?
Old Jun 4th 2006, 1:06 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Luma

One of the new rules is you can't get into the UK on a temporary South African passport.
It was all over the papers there a few weeks ago. They've run out of passports or some other nonsense like that, one reason why the UK slapped that one into place.

I'm just wondering if they're issuing them again.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all

They ran out of the "special" paper they use apparently. my mates sister has just got hers after a delay, I got mine on Wednesday but my delay was for other reasons I think.

bruce.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 5:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruce67
I get where you are comming from.
The stuff you are quoteing is all from the 1995 act and still exists on most of the south african home affairs web sites. I am still confused but in the link below this has been superceded/ammended by the new sept 2004 act. just my opinion but hey all I'm worried about is I got it back!

http://www.southafricahouse.com/migration/Dualcit.htm

GENERAL NOTICE

SOUTH AFRICAN CITIZENSHIP AMENDMENT ACT, 2004 (ACT NO. 17 OF 2004)

The Amendment Act repealed section 9 of the South African Citizenship Act, 1995 as of 15th September 2004, which regulated the use of the citizenship or nationality of another country by a South African dual citizen.
I don't think the 2004 legislation changed section 6 of the existing legislation, which covers loss of South African citizenship on acquisition of another citizenship.

From reading these forums, not every South African wants to keep their citizenship in any case. Not only does it now mean you are obliged to use a South African passport on entry to and departure from South Africa, but it also means you cannot access formal British/Australian/Canadian/US/NZ consular assistance in South Africa.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Talking Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Originally Posted by JAJ
I don't think the 2004 legislation changed section 6 of the existing legislation, which covers loss of South African citizenship on acquisition of another citizenship.

From reading these forums, not every South African wants to keep their citizenship in any case. Not only does it now mean you are obliged to use a South African passport on entry to and departure from South Africa, but it also means you cannot access formal British/Australian/Canadian/US/NZ consular assistance in South Africa.
See I told you it was confuseing

JAJ you are still the man in the know as far as I'm concerned. I don't mind following the rules(use of SA passport) until it is no longer in my interest. When I head for Aus and get my Aus citizenship- if I'm forced to chose I'll be an Aussie. Until then no burning bridges for me

Thanks for all the info.

bruce.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Quincy has a brilliant futureQuincy has a brilliant futureQuincy has a brilliant futureQuincy has a brilliant futureQuincy has a brilliant futureQuincy has a brilliant futureQuincy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rossfive5
We moved to Chester, Uk from Cape Town in 1997 then moved to Perth, Australia last year. We love it here. We would hate to have to go back to the UK. As for returning to SA, never going to happen!!

Glad to hear you are happy in Oz. I would be grateful for some advice. I'm from Cape Town and moved to South West London 4 years ago. My wife and I are quite happy but both struggle with the long winters. I'm quite keen to move back to SA, but unsure about jobs, crime etc. My wife is dead against moving back (she's European and lived in SA for 7 years) but very keen on moving to Brisbane, Australia where she has family. We visiting Aus for the first time at the end of the year to check it out. Understandably we both feel a bit uncertain at times. We would be grateful if anyone could share more information how easy or difficult the move was, and how life in Aus compares to life in the UK and SA.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

Hi Quincy, I sent you a pm. I would think long and hard before moving back to SA if I was you, especially if you have or plan to have children. My brother tried to move back a few years ago and could not find work and he is very highly qualified and earns a ridiculously high salary in the UK. He is in the IT industry. On the other hand, friends moved back last year and the husband found work almost immediately and the wife kept her UK job earning pounds but working from home in Cape Town. They have no children. Her Mum has cancer so she wanted to be near her.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rossfive5
Hi Quincy, I sent you a pm. I would think long and hard before moving back to SA if I was you, especially if you have or plan to have children. My brother tried to move back a few years ago and could not find work and he is very highly qualified and earns a ridiculously high salary in the UK. He is in the IT industry. On the other hand, friends moved back last year and the husband found work almost immediately and the wife kept her UK job earning pounds but working from home in Cape Town. They have no children. Her Mum has cancer so she wanted to be near her.
Horses for courses, mate. I know three people who went back last year and all three were employed within three weeks of returning (which is more than I can say for myself in Australia, they don't hand out jobs at the airport)

Last edited by Shellfish; Jul 6th 2006 at 3:38 am.
Old Jul 6th 2006, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

Anyone in the know would have heard from numerous sources that jobs in SA are hard to come by if you are white. My husband started getting job offers in Australia a week after looking. (IT again) Everyones different, but for us Australia has more to offer than SA. Why settle for less in SA when you can have it all in Oz
Old Jul 7th 2006, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

We've just moved to Perth 3 weeks ago after being in the UK for 6 years.
It is fantastic here. I really battled with the long UK winters especially with 2 toddlers stuck inside all the time.

The move was stressful especially with little children but hey we are here and we're happy. We put our house on the market at the end of February and it was stress from then onwards until we flew mid June. The stress was huge during the trip and for the first week after landing. But if you mentally prepare yourself for hard slog you will be fine. Hey you've already moved from SA to the UK so you know what it is like to move country already.

Good luck with youd visit to Brisbane at the end of the year. We moved to Perth without ever having visited Australia before. We have no regrets as Perth has the lifestyle we were after. We've already bought a house as we're really keen to get well settled in!

Originally Posted by Quincy
Glad to hear you are happy in Oz. I would be grateful for some advice. I'm from Cape Town and moved to South West London 4 years ago. My wife and I are quite happy but both struggle with the long winters. I'm quite keen to move back to SA, but unsure about jobs, crime etc. My wife is dead against moving back (she's European and lived in SA for 7 years) but very keen on moving to Brisbane, Australia where she has family. We visiting Aus for the first time at the end of the year to check it out. Understandably we both feel a bit uncertain at times. We would be grateful if anyone could share more information how easy or difficult the move was, and how life in Aus compares to life in the UK and SA.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

We've just moved to Perth 3 weeks ago after being in the UK for 6 years.
It is fantastic here. I really battled with the long UK winters especially with 2 toddlers stuck inside all the time.

The move was stressful especially with little children but hey we are here and we're happy. We put our house on the market at the end of February and it was stress from then onwards until we flew mid June. The stress was huge during the trip and for the first week after landing. But if you mentally prepare yourself for hard slog you will be fine. Hey you've already moved from SA to the UK so you know what it is like to move country already.

Good luck with youd visit to Brisbane at the end of the year. We moved to Perth without ever having visited Australia before. We have no regrets as Perth has the lifestyle we were after. We've already bought a house as we're really keen to get well settled in!
I agree totally. It is alot easier second time round. We also came here without having visited Aus before and love it. Perth definitely does it for us. We have also bought a house, moved in, getting more settled every day.
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:47 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Those who are moving onto Aus. You do know that you'll suffer from 'gypsyitis' for the rest of your life, from which there is no cure, right?
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:04 pm
littleflower

littleflower15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Those who are moving onto Aus. You do know that you'll suffer from 'gypsyitis' for the rest of your life, from which there is no cure, right?
I'm SA living in the UK now for 4 years. Next year we qualify for residency. We are considering moving to NZ or Oz later on, but wondering where the job opportunities are better for teachers.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

What's 'Gypsyitis'? Is that when you can't stay in one place for long and keep getting the urge to move? My parent must have that. They have emigrated FIVE times!!!!! UK to SA for 18 years, SA to UK for 2 years, UK to SA for 10 years, SA to UK for 2 years, then UK to SA again. They love the outdoor lifestyle but miss the grandchildren. All my brothers are now in the UK but if I can persuade any of them to move to Aus, then my parent have said they will move to Aus.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well now that I have been here in Aus for over 2 months I'm going to answer my own question.

No for me it was harder this time round moving country. The main reason is we have two toddlers and it moving country with children is much harder than just by yourself. I have found the stress totally overwhelming.

I got really depressed when I moved to the UK and I'm feeling quite depressed now. I miss familiar surroundings and good friends that you can just phone and pop round whenever.

But I do like Perth and I know things will improve - it just takes time to settle in.

Hi there.

Are there other South Africans who moved to UK and then have/or are going to move to Australia?

Does anyone think it will be easier the second time round?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.