Libya

Old Sep 13th 2009, 7:28 am
Just Joined

askari2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Libya

Hi Jim, No we're at The Palm in Janzour. Site isn't finished yet but it is going to be lovely when done. Official opening scheduled for Oct - but can't see site being finished til next year - seems an awful lot still to do in fitting out places as well as half the site not being habitable yet. Still site has been very helpful in getting us in and there will always be snagging issues on any new build/fit. Patience seems the name of the game!

Stooky - seems a reasonable package for an overseas posting and similar to that of my husband and a few other ex pats I've met here. I guess the old adage of "nothing ventured nothing gained" applies!
Old Nov 5th 2009, 5:43 am
Just Joined

ukclaire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I got through the visa no problem and have now been in Tripoli for 5 days...its going well

Now its the weekend (almost) and I am just wondering what there is to do..? I am a girl out here on my own which I love. So shopping is on my list. Where is the best place to go..? and are taxi's safe..?

Any other bright ideas..?

Cheers
Claire
Old Nov 5th 2009, 6:10 am
Just Joined

askari2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Claire

Welcome to Tripoli - isn't the weather great! But am told that December thru to March can be cold - but obviously not as cold as the UK.

So there is a M&S, BHS and Monsoon on the Gargarish Road in Tripoli. They are also outfitting a next store but I don't know when its going to open. Only problem with this is that there is news that they are widening Gargarish and as happens in Libya whole shopping areas can disappear overnight - so shop soon!

You will also note that there are lots and lots of posh frock shops!

Don't know if your small or large but some stores which sell western style clothes sell boutique sizes 1-3 and I find these a bit small so try clothes on before you buy. The medina is a good experience and everyone is very friendly and there is absolutely no pressure selling that makes shopping so difficult in some other countries. You are left to browse and make your choice in peace - but they don't haggle here about the price. Although I often ask "Is that the best price" and sometimes the price does come down a few dinar.

Lots and lots of jewellery stores - never seen so many - so if you like jewellery you'll have no problem finding some nice pieces.

Ben Ashur is a nice shopping area and the coffee shop (opposite kitchen ware store) which is all gold fret work outside and next to a fast food outlet is highly recommended for its coffee and cakes!

You need to join an association like [email protected] (write to Hilary) - they have lots and lots of things organised and I've found it an absolute life saver. Obviously they have an extensive daytime agenda of activities but there are some that take place in the evening which allow you to make lots of new friends.

Now as for taxi's. Some companies don't allow/like their staff using the black and whites - don't know a reason for this but many of them are a bit beaten up and are driven recklessly. Ask around other colleagues if they have a telephone number for a taxi they have used and felt safe in. Or have a number for an english speaking driver - obviously helps with the language barrier and you can arrange for them to collect you later in the day when you've finished shopping. My friends driver takes her to the supermarket etc and doesn't mind waiting for her - or accompanying her in the store to help with any difficulties she may come across.

Always remember the dress code if only as a matter of respect for the country you're in and you won't attract any unwelcome attention. Whilst researching coming to Libya I had heard that I wouldn't shake hands, or make eye contact etc but in reality I find everyone so friendly that they go to shake hands with me and are curious about where I come from and what life is like. So use your own judgement but be wary of anyone overly friendly when out in the markets (friend followed by youth calling out "I love you" - very unfunny!).

Where are you staying?
Old Dec 16th 2009, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

cberg01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newbie

Hello

My name is Cenk and from Turkey. About two hours ago I been offered a job from Tripoli so I am trying to get as much info as possible.

I did read most of post and thanks for sharing all your experience with us.Now I got some questions if you guys don't mind;

- I am pilot and been offered to fly B747 of Tripoli. Don't have airline experience and I don't have clue what's the wages (for pilots) at Tripoli? Or how much should I ask for good and quality living (Married and no kids). I dont wanna thing about bills, fuel, shopping etc...

- Is it safe for my wife to be home alone for couple days? (Please no offence, I been asked same kind a questions about my country too)

- Hospitals and clinics are they any good or when we need medical help should we go some where else? (Back to Turkey ?! )

Actually there are bunch a questions to ask but offer got me off handed.I have meeting with GM tomorrow at noon so I need help as much as possible.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME YOU ALL.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

chelsea22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Libya

Hi

I am a single british girl moving to tripoli for work in a few weeks.

Can anyone advice me on weather, Is it safe for women, Places to go for diving and most of all getting into the party scene? Any tips appreciaited.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 4:47 am
Just Joined

jimtheanvil is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chelsea22

Welcome to the madhouse!
Easy answers
Can anyone advice me on weather, - some rain in Jan/Feb and it does briefly get down to aroudn zero on few mornings but otherwise, a great climate. I've been here nearly 5 years now - love the weather. VERY hot in summer though

Is it safe for women - by and large, yes. Common sense rules apply here like everywhere though. Don't be drunk in public, dress conservatively in public etc.

Places to go for diving - not as good as you'd think. In the evening around the Regatta area (big housing complex in Tripoli) there is some mildly decent diving but you have to head out an hour or so east to get some good beaches and diving without all the detritus in the sea.
and most of all getting into the party scene? Single British girl? Believe me - you'll be overwhelmed by offers. There's a load of single, wealthy oil guys out here looking for lurrrvvvee
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jimtheanvil
Hi Chelsea22

Welcome to the madhouse!
Easy answers
Can anyone advice me on weather, - some rain in Jan/Feb and it does briefly get down to aroudn zero on few mornings but otherwise, a great climate. I've been here nearly 5 years now - love the weather. VERY hot in summer though

Is it safe for women - by and large, yes. Common sense rules apply here like everywhere though. Don't be drunk in public, dress conservatively in public etc.

Places to go for diving - not as good as you'd think. In the evening around the Regatta area (big housing complex in Tripoli) there is some mildly decent diving but you have to head out an hour or so east to get some good beaches and diving without all the detritus in the sea.
and most of all getting into the party scene? Single British girl? Believe me - you'll be overwhelmed by offers. There's a load of single, wealthy oil guys out here looking for lurrrvvvee
Jim

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me if its easy for family /boyfriend to get visas to visit? I worked in Saudi before and no one can get visit there as I was classes as a single entry and not married. was a single
Old Jan 11th 2010, 6:02 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Hoping someone (probably jim) can help.

I have been offered a job in Libya. The package seems to be pretty good, with the accommodation and car provided. I hear flights are dirt cheap from there as well. I'm looking forward to getting out there and seeing somewhere different again, having been to Dubai and Qatar and the Far East.

My main question is with regards to visa requirements. I have been told I need to get an Arab translation of my passport and was told to ask the Libyan Embassy in London where I can get this. I rang there and was given a mobile phone number which goes to voicemail when I ring it. I did a google (as you do) and found the Arab British Chamber of Commerce who do the stamp and translation thang...sent an e-mail and haven't got a reply yet...So what have other people done for this?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Hello!

Hoping someone (probably jim) can help.

I have been offered a job in Libya. The package seems to be pretty good, with the accommodation and car provided. I hear flights are dirt cheap from there as well. I'm looking forward to getting out there and seeing somewhere different again, having been to Dubai and Qatar and the Far East.

My main question is with regards to visa requirements. I have been told I need to get an Arab translation of my passport and was told to ask the Libyan Embassy in London where I can get this. I rang there and was given a mobile phone number which goes to voicemail when I ring it. I did a google (as you do) and found the Arab British Chamber of Commerce who do the stamp and translation thang...sent an e-mail and haven't got a reply yet...So what have other people done for this?
Hi littlejimmy

I am getting ready to head to Tripoli in the next week or so. I just applied for a 2nd British passport to be used for visa etc and the passport office in Glasgow gave me an arabic translation stamped in my passport.
You can try your nearest passport office.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

tn_24 is an unknown quantity at this point

does any one has link with a realestate agencies?
Old Mar 29th 2010, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tn_24
Try ohy on 00218924706902 or [email protected]

They are great, Tell them what you want and budget and they will find it.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

mohey_36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tn_24
try rentals.ly which i found in janzour.com
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

DarrenLW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey There Everyone,

Just bin offered a job in Libya which is staying away there 3 months at a time with a months break back home...

Now before i take the job, i need one bit of info...

Hopefully one of you guys will able help me here...

Food, im quite a fussy eater have bin since birth to be fairly honest and im very worried about what food that i'll able get hold of in Libya, that i eat back here in the UK, Aslong as they got a couple of things i eat that will do me... but yeah before i know, Wouldnt be wise taking a 3 months trip with no eating would it ... if anyone could help me here would be very very greatful, if you perfer chat to me, you can always add me to msn on [email protected],

Kind Regards,

Darren.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:20 am
Just Joined

traveller875 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my husband has been given an opportunity to go to Tripoli to work and so far we've heard really good things about Tripoli.

However, there are a few questions I would like to ask and would be grateful if someone could help.

What are the medical facilities like in Tripoli? We have a 13 month old baby, and plan to have another baby, so obviously the concern is whether the medical facilities and also doctors are good. living in Jkta, medical is not that great, but luckily we haven't been struck down with anything serious as such, but have heard that if you do have anything serious, then it is wise to fly to Singapore - is that the same with Tripoli? Which hospitals/clinics are good and where are they based?

Are there any other mums/dads out there that have a child/children about the same age as our daughter? Would be great if you could message me so then I can get the lowdown of life there.

Another thing that I've had trouble w living here in Jkta is the water. Here in Jakarta, we more or less use bottled water for everything and careful of where we go to eat etc, however I seem to be the unlucky one ever since we got here! - is Tripoli similar?

I look forward to all your comments and would like to say thanks in advance!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:30 am
Just Joined

jimtheanvil is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning traveller875.

Tripoli? Like having a supermodel girlfriend. At times the best thing going, always demanding and at times a royal pain in the arse.

Medical facilities are VERY mixed. There is a 'medical provider' called Medilink who are essential for the expats out here

http://www.medilinkint.com/

They'll guide you through the whole mess of Tripoli - there are some hospitals excellent for XY, others good for ABC and they'll sort you out.

Al-Affia up near to the airport is excellent for many things - 3 Libyan brother doctors own and run it. My wife gave birth there recently (6 months ago) and it was excellent.

Anything major, life threatening - then you'd be flown to the UK or Germany (or Malta) - and that's where Medilink liaise with International SOS to get you out.

Down sides are public hospitals and emergency services. No such thing as paramedics - it's just a driver who'll pick you up and shove you in his 'ambulance'.

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR INSUARANCE COVERS - AND HOW TO USE IT.

We like it here with our baby - but there are no toddler groups etc - there is one good pediatrician who is highly in demand too.

As for water - simple. Only drink bottled stuff - but it's easily obtained and dirt cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.