Libya

Old Jan 12th 2007, 7:28 am
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road
Default Libya

Hi

Just heard that we could be moving to Libiya for a couple of years, is there anyone that can give me any further information as I have very little at the moment, are there many expats living there and what is the lifestyle like? I have 2 boys, one who is 3 and the other just turned 11, any information on schooling would be greatly appreciated. Look forward to hearing from someone hopefully soon.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:40 am
Miles away from home

Awineor2 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Libya/Tripoli

Hi

Anyone in Tripoli? would love to hear from anyone that lives there, has lived there, is moving there. Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2007, 4:40 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Libya/Tripoli

Originally Posted by Awineor2
Hi

Anyone in Tripoli? would love to hear from anyone that lives there, has lived there, is moving there. Thanks
I know several people who have lived and worked in Libya and have really enjoyed their time there.

I would go for it.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

jimtheanvil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I know several people who have lived and worked in Libya and have really enjoyed their time there.

I would go for it.
Yup - I live here and it is a great place!

Any info you need - just let me know!
Old Nov 27th 2007, 10:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtheanvil

I used to be ships agent for GNMTC, the Libyan National Line ..... just at that time that PC was shot outside the Libyan embassy.

First vessel that arrived in Ipswich, the Police came and arrested all the crew. That was a baptism of fire
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Nigel Godden is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Jimtheanvil,

I have been given an oppurtunity to move to Tripoli, Libya.
I am having a lot of trouble obtaining reliable information on what it is like over there as an expat.

Can you offer any help on where one should look for renting a house outside of Tripoli, what it is like now and would it be a good move?

Cheers,

Nigel
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

askari is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Libiya

Hi
Just joined, and looking for info on accommodation and life style in Tripoli. Should be moving out there in Feb 2009 with my wife.

Lots of questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cost of living, food prices, restaurants, general consumables?
What are the restrictions on women moving around the city unaccompanied?
What’s the best are to move in to?
Driving on your own or is a driver required?
Communications expensive?
TV sat available?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Sorry about not replying - for some reason I got no notification of posting

Nigel - are you still up for coming out? If so - reply to this and I will fill you in.

Askari

Cost of living, food prices, restaurants, general consumables? Very cheap all in all although one can spend loads if one wants. As a guide, my wife and I did a massive fruiot and veg shop over the weekend, four hands full of bags for 14 dinar - about 6 quid.
What are the restrictions on women moving around the city unaccompanied? Nor restrictions as such but common sense applies and dressing conservatively is a must. Dress like a tart at home, or preferably in my house but on the streets - modesty is the name of the game.

What’s the best are to move in to? Regatta, Janzour, Saraj are the best 'out of town' - Ben Ashour ara in town. Aim for the Embassy areas.

Driving on your own or is a driver required? Good question and one that taxes the best HR has to offer. If you are confident, go alone. I drive and am convinced that I am safer than a local driver. If not confident - a driver is a good idea. The driving is far and away the biggest risk out here.

Communications expensive? You mean monthly mobiles? I struggle to spend 10 pounds per month with internal phone calls/texts - including work.

TV sat available? Yes. Sky is pretty weak but there are plenty of other alternatives and I never miss a football match, have all the Sky News, CNN etc. as well as numerous movie channels in English.

Come to Libya. The people are mental but nice and the weather is ace - although it is bucketing it down today
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:26 am
Just Joined

Nigel Godden is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Unfortunately, the deal I had been working on in Tripoli has now been suspended indefinitely given the latest global headlines.
Incidentally, as an architect and a construction manager, I'd be very interested to know how the construction market is there at the moment and if it has been severely hampered or not.
What line of work are you in?
I have been looking into Libya's history and the country today and find it a beautiful place with what I imagine to have great charm.
I would very much appreciate any further info you can offer.
Libya sounds like a great place to spend some time.
Cheers,

Nigel
Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Hi Nigel!

The construction market is booming - Libya is kind of recessino proof in a few ways with the funding for a lot fo the big projects coming from the Middle East and Asia.

Check out www.aecom.com for their Libya activites - they are ramping up big time here.

http://www.aecom.com/NewsMedia/53/77/index.html

Some big vanity projects too here - with a lot of work planned to be finished in the next 10 months, in time for the 40th anniversary of the Leader being in power

As for me, I'm one of the sad cases in the oil industry - First Engineering and the usual other engineering companies aer always recruiting.

Libya? Can be brilliant and can be awful.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:00 am
Just Joined

Sorry about not replying - for some reason I got no notification of posting

Nigel - are you still up for coming out? If so - reply to this and I will fill you in.

Askari

Cost of living, food prices, restaurants, general consumables? Very cheap all in all although one can spend loads if one wants. As a guide, my wife and I did a massive fruiot and veg shop over the weekend, four hands full of bags for 14 dinar - about 6 quid.
What are the restrictions on women moving around the city unaccompanied? Nor restrictions as such but common sense applies and dressing conservatively is a must. Dress like a tart at home, or preferably in my house but on the streets - modesty is the name of the game.

What’s the best are to move in to? Regatta, Janzour, Saraj are the best 'out of town' - Ben Ashour ara in town. Aim for the Embassy areas.

Driving on your own or is a driver required? Good question and one that taxes the best HR has to offer. If you are confident, go alone. I drive and am convinced that I am safer than a local driver. If not confident - a driver is a good idea. The driving is far and away the biggest risk out here.

Communications expensive? You mean monthly mobiles? I struggle to spend 10 pounds per month with internal phone calls/texts - including work.

TV sat available? Yes. Sky is pretty weak but there are plenty of other alternatives and I never miss a football match, have all the Sky News, CNN etc. as well as numerous movie channels in English.

Come to Libya. The people are mental but nice and the weather is ace - although it is bucketing it down today
Jim
Thanks for the response very helpful.
What's the average cost/rent of a two bed apartment or house? Is the Palm City complex in Janzour? how long to drive to Tripoli from there?
Is there much activity, things to do for expats, suppose a drink is a no no?

Once again many thanks.

Cheers
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by askari
Jim
Thanks for the response very helpful.
What's the average cost/rent of a two bed apartment or house? Is the Palm City complex in Janzour? how long to drive to Tripoli from there?
Is there much activity, things to do for expats, suppose a drink is a no no?

Once again many thanks.

Cheers
Hi there,

A 2 bed apartment for an expat is anywhere between 3 and 6 thousand USD per month.

Really.

Palm City is right on the beach between Regatta and the expat camp at Janzour. You are looking at around 8 - 10 thousand USD for that.

From there, on a good day 15 - 20 minutes to get into town (I did that late last night) and on a bad day, about 2 hrs is the worst. Usual rush hour day - bank on 45 minutes.

Basically, if you are thinking of coming out here and getting your own, non cost recoverable property I would say forget it. It's ok if the company pays though.

Much activity? Actually yes but in strange ways. There are a number of main societies (e.g. Archeological, British, Caledonian etc.) who organise things and then you get to meet people, find out about private parties etc. I am never, ever bored here.

Alcohol? The general rule for Libya is that everything is impossible although anything is possible

Happy to answer any questions about life in the G. SPLAJ!
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Hi there,

A 2 bed apartment for an expat is anywhere between 3 and 6 thousand USD per month.

Really.

Palm City is right on the beach between Regatta and the expat camp at Janzour. You are looking at around 8 - 10 thousand USD for that.

From there, on a good day 15 - 20 minutes to get into town (I did that late last night) and on a bad day, about 2 hrs is the worst. Usual rush hour day - bank on 45 minutes.

Basically, if you are thinking of coming out here and getting your own, non cost recoverable property I would say forget it. It's ok if the company pays though.

Much activity? Actually yes but in strange ways. There are a number of main societies (e.g. Archeological, British, Caledonian etc.) who organise things and then you get to meet people, find out about private parties etc. I am never, ever bored here.

Alcohol? The general rule for Libya is that everything is impossible although anything is possible

Happy to answer any questions about life in the G. SPLAJ!
Once again many thanks.
Is it possible to take this off line and use private email addresses?
Still have quite a few questions and you've been a great help.

Cheers
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:40 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by askari
Once again many thanks.
Is it possible to take this off line and use private email addresses?
Still have quite a few questions and you've been a great help.

Cheers
Do you not think it would be useful to keep it on line so everyone is privvy to the good advice and help, after all that is the point of a forum
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:56 am
Just Joined

Good point!

Here's a non specific summary of a few things - you can guess the questions!

As for food, pretty much most things are available bar the 2 obvious big things - alcohol and pork.

However.....I have been here 3yrs now and have probably adjusted to the shops. My diet is pretty simple though. Don't expect the world food you get in a london Tesco or anything but all Italian food, Indian and Asian are pretty much covered.

Meat? All Halal and there are some good butchers here (one in particular lived in Canada for 20yrs as a butcher) so that's never a problem.

Fish? Dearer than you'd think but fresh and excellent.

Fruit & Veg? My favourite things. It is still seasonal here so you will go months without oranges then it's oranges everywhere. Same for grapes. The exotic fruit and veg are hard to find but you adapt and I find going back to the UK now, fruit and veg looks fake and not as cool as it is here, but that's just me.

In a nutshell - personal expenditures are pretty low here, unless you plan on eating out every night. Takeaways are cheap - 3 quid for burger, chips and drink for 2 of us. A tray of Diet Coke costs 3 quid. Big jar of Nescafe under 2 quid. Mars Bar 20p.

Regarding spouses.....

There are clubs/socities/coffee mornings for ladies etc. out there but you have to make an effort to get yourself involved. The 'get up and go' wives out here have a fantastic and varied social life.

However ,there are some wives who complain, sit around the house etc. who soon leave. If one's wife is a hardy soul - she can have one of the best lives going out here, really.

Expats all live in Tripoli or the 'suburbs' - there's no such thing as a major commute. There are 2 main camps (Janzour and Regatta) which house the bulk of the people. Houses in Tripoli can be stunning - but as mentioned earlier - be sure that your company is paying!

Am happy to answer any questions at all about Libya. Fire away!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.