Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Introduce yourself before posting

Introduce yourself before posting

Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

name_already_in_use is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduce yourself before posting

Born and grew up in SA. Moved to the UK to earn some good cash and see the world. Now I've seen the world and spent all my cash doing so.... am tempted to move back to friends, family and everything that is both positive and negative about SA.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

martinaloeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I am a British lass in her mid twenties married to an SA guy from Cape Town. I have spent a couple of months there and find it a home away from home, although I am acutely aware that going on holiday there is completely different from living there on a daily basis. I was fortunate enough to get married on a gorgeous wine farm in Franschoek rather than Croydon registry office!

We live in London but we are intending to move to Cape Town Dec 08/Jan 09 due to his family wanting him back after 10 years in the UK.

I am excited as I do love the place from my own experience but am very nervous as I am very aware of the current state of affairs and risks. If hubbies family were not there then I doubt that we would be moving there at all to be honest but family first and all that. They are lucky enough to live in the lowest crime rate suburb in CPT and we will also live there to hopefully minimize the risk of anything happening. The worst thing that has happened to any of hubby's friends and family in Cape Town is that someones house was burgled twice in a month so we are eternally grateful for this but I hope that we have not got our blinkers on that those kind of things do not happen to us.

The UK is always going to be here if it does not work out in SA but I do intend to give it my best shot, and try to take heed of all the warnings from sites like these whilst not getting too stressed out about it all as we are moving there and want to enjoy it.

I will no doubt be asking for lots of advice for questions that I can not seem to find answers for and look forward to reading the posts and other people's stories and experiences. Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 6th 2008, 10:16 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinaloeb
Hi everyone,

I am a British lass in her mid twenties married to an SA guy from Cape Town. I have spent a couple of months there and find it a home away from home, although I am acutely aware that going on holiday there is completely different from living there on a daily basis. I was fortunate enough to get married on a gorgeous wine farm in Franschoek rather than Croydon registry office!

We live in London but we are intending to move to Cape Town Dec 08/Jan 09 due to his family wanting him back after 10 years in the UK.

I am excited as I do love the place from my own experience but am very nervous as I am very aware of the current state of affairs and risks. If hubbies family were not there then I doubt that we would be moving there at all to be honest but family first and all that. They are lucky enough to live in the lowest crime rate suburb in CPT and we will also live there to hopefully minimize the risk of anything happening. The worst thing that has happened to any of hubby's friends and family in Cape Town is that someones house was burgled twice in a month so we are eternally grateful for this but I hope that we have not got our blinkers on that those kind of things do not happen to us.

The UK is always going to be here if it does not work out in SA but I do intend to give it my best shot, and try to take heed of all the warnings from sites like these whilst not getting too stressed out about it all as we are moving there and want to enjoy it.

I will no doubt be asking for lots of advice for questions that I can not seem to find answers for and look forward to reading the posts and other people's stories and experiences. Thank you in advance!
Welcome and I hope we can answer most questions for you. I do understand the pull of family but hope you make sure you have an exit strategy in place should you need it. Good luck to you and yours.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

fa0019 has a brilliant futurefa0019 has a brilliant futurefa0019 has a brilliant futurefa0019 has a brilliant futurefa0019 has a brilliant futurefa0019 has a brilliant futurefa0019 has a brilliant future

Just really beginning to looking to emmigrate to Cape Town. My partner is Afrikaans and after many years in London wants us to give the city a shot.

We're a youngish professional london couple looking to move before we turn 30 and realistically in 2009. We have not got any children as of yet but that doesn't mean our choices will not involve future generations.

I myself as a typical Brit as many initial concerns although I have visited the country many times due for holidays, weddings, family reasons etc. Just want some information from those who know best...i.e. those who come from our culture/lifestyle and into a completely new/different environment.

Fa0019
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

LoveCapeTown is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

I'm new to Cape Town, and already love this place...I'm from England, but have been lucky enought to have postings in Kuala Lumpur and Dublin...both awesome cities, and Cape Town is no different..

I've already been here for 6 months and just found so much to do...its a shame that foreigners who have never been here have got such an impression of Cape town, because based on my LIMITED experiences, this place is so different from what the picture they paint in the newspapers...

now looking to shed some post Christmas weight and get involved in 5 a-side football...or tennis around Sea Point...failing that a Pimms and lemonade will do!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Introduce yourself before posting

Hi,
Been posting on and of for a while. Born in Gwelo, Rhodesia in the 60's lived in Essexvale, Gwanda and Umtali ( Father British born immigrated to Kenya then Rhodesia). Left in 1981 to live in South Africa, educated in Durban, left school joined airforce for national service then pilot until 1993, lived all over the place, Durban, Pretoria, Dunnottar, Langebaanweg. Met wife(Irish) in Pretoria then dragged the family to London in 1995. London as security and telecoms engineer until 2007. Landed in Aussieland Sept 2007 living in WA, mandurah and loving it.

Bruce
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:04 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by bruce67
Hi,
Been posting on and of for a while. Born in Gwelo, Rhodesia in the 60's lived in Essexvale, Gwanda and Umtali ( Father British born immigrated to Kenya then Rhodesia). Left in 1981 to live in South Africa, educated in Durban, left school joined airforce for national service then pilot until 1993, lived all over the place, Durban, Pretoria, Dunnottar, Langebaanweg. Met wife(Irish) in Pretoria then dragged the family to London in 1995. London as security and telecoms engineer until 2007. Landed in Aussieland Sept 2007 living in WA, mandurah and loving it.

Bruce
Nice to meet you Bruce. I lived in Gwelo for a few minutes before moving to QueQue and then onto Gatooma, and back again. It was a very pretty little town.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

dinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Donna Allan
Hi, I came to SA in 1982 at the age of 12 with my folks. I have had a good life in SA and can say I've been one of the lucky one's who has never yet been hi-jacked or had a sort of major crime effect my life, however I do live in constant fear of this happening. I think it's a crime in it's self that we have to life in daily fear. Yesterday my 11 yr old son was playing in the front garden and suddenly he came flying in the front door locking the security gate, I asked him what was up and he said a group of guys who looked like a gang were coming down the road. I felt so bad as my nervousness/alertness has obviously rubbed off on him. We (OH and I) made a decision last year November to pack up and move back to the UK, OH is South African but he's keen. Our house has been on the market since April this year and we are battling to sell. I'm living day to day in the hope that we will sell soon so that we can move on and start our second phase of our lives in the UK. Trying to stay positive but it's VERY hard.
Hi there everyone, I am also new to this site only came across it because I have no work to do at the moment!! I too lived in SA for 25 years with husband and 5 children 3 born in Sa. Left in 1999 because of the horrendous amount of crime and murder that went on in and around Germiston, we lived in a suburb of this city. Had my boss murdered in front of me in Wadeville outside the office on a Friday afternoon, all for a bakkie he gave them the keys but they shot him anyway. I have had so many friends and friends of friends highjacked, burglered, raped etc. etc. My husband and I decided that because of the law of average one of us would eventually be killed. We had a dear friend of my daughter murdered after we left. She was butchered along with her husband ,mother-inlaw , father-in-law and one of the murderers had worked for her father-in-law for years as had his father before him. Its the vindictiveness that really gets to me. Take my car or my money but why the killing as well!!!! Anyway, I dont regret for a minute leaving although we have found it difficult to adjust to the UK after so long away especially the weather and the confined spaces but a small price to pay for peace of mind. I can always go to Europe for some sun!! Good luck to everyone leaving the turmoil that is now SA. Dont think of the negatives such as the exchange rate or the cost of living just remember your life is worth more than swimming pools and sunshine!!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:10 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinwiddie98
Hi there everyone, I am also new to this site only came across it because I have no work to do at the moment!! I too lived in SA for 25 years with husband and 5 children 3 born in Sa. Left in 1999 because of the horrendous amount of crime and murder that went on in and around Germiston, we lived in a suburb of this city. Had my boss murdered in front of me in Wadeville outside the office on a Friday afternoon, all for a bakkie he gave them the keys but they shot him anyway. I have had so many friends and friends of friends highjacked, burglered, raped etc. etc. My husband and I decided that because of the law of average one of us would eventually be killed. We had a dear friend of my daughter murdered after we left. She was butchered along with her husband ,mother-inlaw , father-in-law and one of the murderers had worked for her father-in-law for years as had his father before him. Its the vindictiveness that really gets to me. Take my car or my money but why the killing as well!!!! Anyway, I dont regret for a minute leaving although we have found it difficult to adjust to the UK after so long away especially the weather and the confined spaces but a small price to pay for peace of mind. I can always go to Europe for some sun!! Good luck to everyone leaving the turmoil that is now SA. Dont think of the negatives such as the exchange rate or the cost of living just remember your life is worth more than swimming pools and sunshine!!
Welcome, hope you enjoy your time on this site. I read your comments with sadness as your story seems to be the norm for most in SA anymore. I think it becomes a challenge to find out who has NOT been affected. I hope you and yours find a safe happy place to call your own. Starting over is difficult but so worthwhile when it comes to seeking safety in your everyday lives. All the other issues dwarf by comparison.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:06 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Welcome dinwiddie. My father's cousin has lived in that suburb for over 20 years. Still there the ostrich.

I read your story and can so relate. Been there, experienced that. Friends, neighbors, acquaintances murdered for nothing really. One of them was gunned down in his driveway and they didn't even take his car.

Welcome to BE. It is a great place to hang out on
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:58 am
Just Joined

dinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant futuredinwiddie98 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Redlippie
Welcome dinwiddie. My father's cousin has lived in that suburb for over 20 years. Still there the ostrich.

I read your story and can so relate. Been there, experienced that. Friends, neighbors, acquaintances murdered for nothing really. One of them was gunned down in his driveway and they didn't even take his car.

Welcome to BE. It is a great place to hang out on
Thanks Redlippie,
I cannot understand anyone staying in a place where they are patently not wanted. Still as you say ostrich!! All people seem to be worried about is the exchange rate and will they find a job somewhere else? We dithered for a long time about leaving but bit the bullet and went for it, not without hassle I have to say. We had to pay over half my husbands pension in tax before they would allow us to leave!! But what the hell its only money. We have all settled in the Uk and in gainful imployment bought a house and still have a big mortgage and we are not young by any means but it was worth all the trauma and we are now quite content although I still miss the thunderstorms and the wide open spaces!!! Thanks for the welcome.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:12 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Feel free to chat in the forums
This is for introductions only .... thanks
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

PatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nicePatM is just really nice

Hi I am originally from Germany but have been living in Cape Town for the past 20 years. I work in the tourism industry and love Cape Town and have lived a blessed life here. Never been mugged, attacked or hijacked although I know many who have been. We have been contemplating leaving this beautiful place for some time now, and have finally made the first step in direction UK. My husband qualifies for the HSMP program and is beginning his application. I know that I will miss this place dearly but my husband will have a much higher earning potential and better career prospects in the UK than here and I we are also getting tired of living behind bars. Wish us luck!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 3:35 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Originally Posted by PatM
Hi I am originally from Germany but have been living in Cape Town for the past 20 years. I work in the tourism industry and love Cape Town and have lived a blessed life here. Never been mugged, attacked or hijacked although I know many who have been. We have been contemplating leaving this beautiful place for some time now, and have finally made the first step in direction UK. My husband qualifies for the HSMP program and is beginning his application. I know that I will miss this place dearly but my husband will have a much higher earning potential and better career prospects in the UK than here and I we are also getting tired of living behind bars. Wish us luck!
Welcome, and the very best of luck to you and yours Pat.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:35 pm
Banned

garytreez will become famous soon enoughgarytreez will become famous soon enough

Hello im gary. Moved to SA in 1973 and left for the UK in1987. Born to british parents. I lived in kempton park where i went to school and had the best childhood possible....wot a jol !!
Had to do national service at the dreaded 7SAI & then my parents wanted to return to the UK. I joined the British Army in 1987 and Im now looking at my last 18 months service for my full golden handshake and pension.
At the moment i live in North yorkshire but want to return to SA at the end of next year to either Secunda or Nelspruit (not back to kempbisa !!)
I intend to start a paving manufacture business with a good buddy in SA.

I go back every 2 years and love it !!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.