Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Introduce yourself before posting

Introduce yourself before posting

Old May 30th 2008, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

mikegd has a brilliant futuremikegd has a brilliant futuremikegd has a brilliant futuremikegd has a brilliant futuremikegd has a brilliant futuremikegd has a brilliant futuremikegd has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Introduce yourself before posting

Hi,
I'm a UK expat, retired @54 (now 65). Worked for UK bank for 35 years, first 23 in London, then Lusaka, Zambia 5 yrs, back to London for 3 yrs. Finale in Swaziland 4 yrs. Drove across the border to SA, bought a house in Ballito and feel I'm living in paradise.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 1:22 am

Chango is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduce yourself before posting

I must say by way of introduction that I am not British, I am American who was raised in what might be considered a former British region:Picardie, in the north of France!
All joking aside I was looking for information on Ian Smith when I came across this site. The impetus to join on however came from reading Daxk, into and posts, in particular his attitude towards waste.
I live in sunny, arid, windy west Texas for three years now, transferred from California and for three years have not had a perplexed policeman ask me:"why didn't you kill him?", and am grateful for that.
I have only met white Rhodesians, and only black South Africans, both groups intrestingly told me the media bias in the west against both countries were largely propaganda.
I should also state by way of intro, that I am mixed black American and white French; but the opinion that I have formed over the years of both countries is not mixed. In other words, South Africa, pre ANC and Ian Smith's Rhodesia have always enjoyed my support in spite of the ire that I drew in college for stating such position. Being mixed again, I may not have been welcome in certain circles, but based on what I knew, the people I knew, and my concepts of stewardship I was never convinced that my position was wrong. And I think I picked up a similar thread of stewardship in Daxk's loathing for waste.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 1:31 am

Chango is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Daxk
I Thought this was the most apt place to post this:

Homeland
by Michelle Frost

Within my soul, within my mind,
There lies a place I cannot find.
Home of my heart. Land of my birth.
Smoke-coloured stone and flame-coloured earth.
Electric skies. Shivering heat.
Blood-red clay beneath my feet.

At night when finally alone,
I close my eyes - and I am home.
I kneel and touch the blood-warm sand
And feel the pulse beneath my hand
Of an ancient life too old to name,
In an ancient land too wild to tame.

How can I show you what I feel?
How can I make this essence real?
I search for words in dumb frustration
To try and form some explanation,
But how can heart and soul be caught
In one-dimensional written thought?

If love and longing are a "fire"
And man "consumed" by his desire,
Then this love is no simple flame
That mortal thought can hold or tame.
As deep within the earth's own core
The love of home burns evermore.

But what is home? I hear them say,
This never was yours anyway.
You have no birthright to this place,
Descendant from another race.
An immigrant? A pioneer?
You are no longer welcome here.

Whoever said that love made sense?
"I love" is an "imperfect" tense.
To love in vain has been man's fate
From history to present date.
I have no grounds for dispensation,
I know I have no home or nation.

For just one moment in the night
I am complete, my soul takes flight.
For just one moment.... then it's gone
and I am once again undone.
Never complete. Never whole.
White Skin and an African soul.
There it is, the answer to an unasked question! Thank you.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:38 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Chango.
Old Jun 15th 2008, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Bundubasher is an unknown quantity at this point

Jst finished 3 years in Kenya and looking for the next opportunity to get back...that and waiting for the old man to wafa.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

jonoguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jonoguy

Wow, there are some serious statements being made on this site. and I feel rather nervous even before I say anything. But then I remember that I am still in South Africa so I had better say something.
Well let's face it South Africa is not perfect, but then tell me where it is?
Life in the USA seems far more dangerous than here!
Life in the Gulf doesn't appeal to me much, and as for the UK, well the cold always kills me. I think you are about to loose your official language as I couldnt find a lot of English speakers while I walked around Sainsburys last year.
So although I was born in the UK and have now become a South African I think I prefer Africa.
I Live in a small town called Eshowe on the East Coast and run a Meter Taxi Business, Which I have been told is a very high risk business due to car Hijacking.
However so far I have lasted seven years and have only found friends in the business. Which goes to show not all talk is true. I feel one cannot just bury your head in the sand, but pray and hope for the best.
I think if we put our minds to it then there are problems everywhere, however, why not make do with what you have and be happy as I am.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Seekinfo is an unknown quantity at this point

Groete everyone. I am American, but my husband is British. I have been searching forums recently trying to educate myself on life in SA, as we are about to move there. It seems that a lot of the same people post on all the forums. As most of the info I've received so far has been pretty depressing, (as well as what I've read here) I'm hesitant to try again, but here goes. (Can't blame the messengers).

We are in the process of selling our home in Virginia to move to Free State to start a sheep farm in partnership with a SA family. We have rented a house in Vredefort for 6 months which should give us time to get a true feel of living there and also time to look for property to buy for the farm. We are doing this because it has been my husband's lifelong dream to live in Africa as well as to farm full time. The friendship with the SA family has opened the door for us.

Rather than ask a specific question, what should we know before we go?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

I'll recuse myself from answering seekinfo aka seeker,
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Seekinfo is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes Daxk,

I would have used Seeker here too, but it was already taken. I find the poem posted by Chango (originally posted by you) to be fascinating. So, despite all the bad, you must understand the passion my husband feels?

Kimberly
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Kimberley, the Mods have asked that people dont conduct discussions on the Introduction thread. will answer in the general thread.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 12:50 am
Just Joined

OnTheHorizon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, I'm not actually british, but i think this is a great site. just wanted to see if anyone had good experiences living in Africa, and if there were any good places left in Africa to live.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Lubymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi my name is Claire and my husband has just received a call from a pal about working on a job for the world cup based in Jo'berg. Family status.

we have a 3 year old daughter and live in Darlington in the uk, we were burgled here a couple of weekends ago whilst visiting family in B'ham for the weekend from reading some of the early posts it sounds scary but photo's I have seen of SA look beautiful.

My deciding factor is will we be safe?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 9:18 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Can't answer that for you. If you have read the threads on this forum and if you follow the coverage in the papers and tv, you should be able to decide for yourself what you are prepared to risk.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Whiskybreath is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm a transient, born and bred Tanganyika (as was), returned in the mid 90s and since then been around much of the continent, including Zim, SA, Sudan and Nigeria. Just now hopefully returning to Tz (fingers crossed) - probably the only African country now worth living in (in my humble etc).
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

El_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant futureEl_Chango has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Whiskybreath
Hi, I'm a transient, born and bred Tanganyika (as was), returned in the mid 90s and since then been around much of the continent, including Zim, SA, Sudan and Nigeria. Just now hopefully returning to Tz (fingers crossed) - probably the only African country now worth living in (in my humble etc).
Welcome WB. At the risk of sounding the enabler, is there good homegrown African whiskey? SA's got to have forgotten about a vat of mash every once in a while!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.