Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Introduce yourself before posting

Introduce yourself before posting

Old Mar 12th 2014, 12:09 am
Just Joined

ScientificDon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduce yourself before posting

Hi there. New to the forum. UK based but from Zim. Looking to find if anyone seriously considering to retire/settle in Cape Town or Durban. Tired of the cold for so many years!
Cheers
Old Mar 13th 2014, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move to S.A.. We couldn't stand the cold in the UK either and ow settled in Oz.

Welcome to BE.
Old Mar 13th 2014, 9:10 am
Just Joined

ScientificDon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScientificDon
Hi there. New to the forum. UK based but from Zim. Looking to find if anyone seriously considering to retire/settle in Cape Town or Durban. Tired of the cold for so many years!
Cheers
Can be really daunting the idea of living here forever. Especially that every time I have been to Zim I struggle coming back. However, Zim economy a little unstable so would be scared to risk after having lived in England for 13 years (i am 30 now). Also looking to try Oz too have some exams to sit first. Where in Oz are you?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

claire k is an unknown quantity at this point

hi my name is Claire and I am just starting this long and probably stressful time of moving to South Africa . I am a nurse and I am looking for any help or advice on who to speak to and what is better private or public .
Old Jun 24th 2014, 5:02 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire k
hi my name is Claire and I am just starting this long and probably stressful time of moving to South Africa . I am a nurse and I am looking for any help or advice on who to speak to and what is better private or public .
Hi Claire, welcome to BE.

I can't stress enough how important it is you work in the private health sector, and not the public sector. As altruistic as working for the poor and for the greater good are, you just won't be safe. The private sector will be easier to get into, pay better, have infinitesimally better working conditions and although not as rewarding, will allow you to serve the sick and the ill!

There have been recent changes announced regarding the essential skills immigration visa process - the good news for you is that nurses are on it. New Critical Skills Visa List of Shortage Occupations for South Africa - New World Immigration

Please ask anything you need to know to help make the process easier, we're here to help. Good luck.

Ed
Old Oct 10th 2014, 11:44 am
Banned

RichardDragonfly is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I work for a documentary production company called Dragonfly Film and Television and we're looking for British people living around the world who have started or are starting their own mine, forestry or other mineral or energy business.

If you or anyone you know is involved in or planning to enter any of these areas, please have them email me at [email protected]

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards,

Richard
Old Oct 11th 2014, 11:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardDragonfly
Hello,

I work for a documentary production company called Dragonfly Film and Television and we're looking for British people living around the world who have started or are starting their own mine, forestry or other mineral or energy business.

If you or anyone you know is involved in or planning to enter any of these areas, please have them email me at [email protected]

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards,

Richard
Hi Richard,

It would probably best to contact Sue (Goddess) to help and advise you on your quest.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 4:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardDragonfly
Hello,

Thank you in advance,

Kind Regards,

Richard
The best place to post is our Media Requests forum here: Media Requests - British Expats
Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

mds2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in SA on-and-off for the past four years, working as a doctor in the public sector. I have recently put in an application for permanent residency... am waiting with baited breath! I am also planning to get married to my South African fiancée in 2015, so it's looking like I'm putting down roots here, attracted by the natural beauty, and the challenges in the workplace.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:47 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mds2005
I have been in SA on-and-off for the past four years, working as a doctor in the public sector. I have recently put in an application for permanent residency... am waiting with baited breath! I am also planning to get married to my South African fiancée in 2015, so it's looking like I'm putting down roots here, attracted by the natural beauty, and the challenges in the workplace.
Welcome mds, sounds like you have things pretty well taped! Good luck with the residency application, I know SA have recently relaxed the rules regarding PR for doctors but steel yourself for some frustrations with home affairs. As a doctor you should take a skeleton highlighting an arse and an elbow as they won't know the difference.

We're all here to help and can show you our t-shirts. All the best,

Ed
Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by claire k
Hi Claire/Ed,

As a Brit working in the SA public health sector, I thought I'd give my two cents: I would not say that working in the public sector is categorically unsafe. I would encourage it, for the challenges that you would encounter therein (making for a potentially very rewarding, albeit draining job), and for the exposure to the 'real world' of SA. I'm not sure in what kind of environment you'd be interested in working? I have worked in urban, semi-urban (former township) and rural settings in SA - the latter have real potential for becoming part of the community that you treat, in whichever province you work.

Although the Critical Skills Temporary Residence Permit does simplify things from a Home Affairs perspective, I hear that the South African Nursing Council are not an easy nut to crack (in terms of getting registration).

PM me if you want me to put you in touch with a recruitment consultant at Africa Health Placements, who are an NGO trying to address the human resources for health shortages in SA.

Best wishes,

Adam
Old Nov 9th 2014, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ededed
Welcome mds, sounds like you have things pretty well taped! Good luck with the residency application, I know SA have recently relaxed the rules regarding PR for doctors but steel yourself for some frustrations with home affairs. As a doctor you should take a skeleton highlighting an arse and an elbow as they won't know the difference.

We're all here to help and can show you our t-shirts. All the best,

Ed
Thanks Ed! I am about to post my first of (probably) many queries...
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by mds2005
Thanks Ed! I am about to post my first of (probably) many queries...
Cool - use the South African forum and someone will be along to help! Martyn is probably the resident SA expert (it's a quiet forum compared to the others) but you will find someone who can assist.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

sircharles is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I moved to Joburg last year on an ICT from London. Enjoying the sunshine and the space and the food and the countryside.

Hate the fact the houses are not built to withstand the 3 months of winter - yes 3 months of basically camping in your own home , well in 1 room anyway with a couple of jumpers on, a hat & scarf +electric blanket and the heater on as high as it will go without tripping the whole property!

I Also hate Load Shedding, or rolling black outs as the rest of the world calls it. (why is it SA has load shedding and robots but no one else does!?) It seems to be one way to crucify the economy. How can they have got it all so wrong? There must be plenty of small businesses going under right now after a dismal Christmas shopping period and more tightening of belts.... v sad and such a waste
Old Feb 9th 2015, 7:50 pm

Welcome to BE sircharles, and welcome to Africa.

Lots of people have differing views on load shedding, but the upshot is that many years of massive underinvestment - usually due to corrupt and incompetent leadership - has meant the power stations are not fit for purpose and too many people are simply not paying their bills. It's a defunct business model, and I don't know if Eskom can be saved. I doubt it.

Personally, if I were still in SA, I'd be chucking solar in everywhere and have gas heating and stoves. Gotta be self-sufficient because the government won't help you.

Of course, then your problem is having someone come along and steal your panels or generator.

Winter is a bitch, but the summers are worth it.

Good luck, keep us posted on how you get on.

Cheers

Ed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.