Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Harare experiences please!

Harare experiences please!

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:31 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Harare experiences please!

Originally Posted by Rick b
Oh I quite agree, but the same applies that if you are not able to answer the OPs specific question, why not just leave the thread alone?
Fair enough.....
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You are 60 years too late to think of emigrating to this part of the world.
I worked in Zambia at the time of the "Chimurenga" in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.
Things are not good in Central Africa and will not get any better any time soon.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

magnification is an unknown quantity at this point

Like Yve I am contemplating a life in Zim.
How can I get in?
Start a consulting business - how?
Thanks.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnification
Like Yve I am contemplating a life in Zim.
How can I get in?
Start a consulting business - how?
Thanks.
I think you first need to be clear as to why you want to go there or anywhere else for that matter as many people are wanting to up and leave the UK , without first being clear as to what they are looking for. I would suggest that at your age, although you arent old by any means, you consider health services ad the cost
To start a consulting biz depends on what you want to be consulted on and the contacts you have.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

My adopted teen daughter, 13, was born in Zim, now living in Europe, I am now a widower seeking a change from the pessimism here. I am ex-mining engineer in Africa, done tech marketing, now teaching English to adults. Now considering options. Europe is in decline. It may not be smooth but Africa has to grow.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

My adopted teen daughter, 13, was born in Zim, now living in Europe, I am now a widower seeking a change from the pessimism here. I am ex-mining engineer in Africa, done tech marketing, now teaching English to adults. Now considering options. Europe is in decline. It may not be smooth but Africa has to grow.
If you have mining experience I would suggest you think of Chile where all mining companies are crying out for expats, and paying incrediby good salaries, and benefits. Age will not be a problem, and residence permits are very easy to get. Chile is poaching mining engineers from Aussie and SA and yet the newspapers are still full of adverts. I live in Chile and if I an assist, let me know.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Wow Chile! - need to think about that. I last did mining in 1985.
Don't know Spanish, just a bit of French!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

rosario will become famous soon enough

Well they have found Gold in Karamoja, Uganda. Perhaps there will be opportunities there.
Old Jan 13th 2013, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wow Chile! - need to think about that. I last did mining in 1985.
Don't know Spanish, just a bit of French!
I dont think they are bothered much about whether you speak Spanish or not as it seems the decent jobs are filled by expats anyway. I believe though that if you are prepared to take some risks, the mines in Africa also pay well, but with a teenage daughter I think you should rather consider her education and future. Good luck!
Old Mar 31st 2013, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

the_cooler is an unknown quantity at this point

Much prefer the States.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i lived in the states for a while. Apart from the extortionate cost of health care, excluding the less well off to anything other than a 3rd world level of treatment. The 19th century gun laws resulting the continous mass murder of innocents, while those in power seem to think the answer is to give out more guns. The ghettoisation of major cities making them virtual no go areas and the mass obesity. But on the whole it was ok, just far better places in the world
Old Mar 31st 2013, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

About 60 years too late for Harare.