Reload this Page >

Visa for Nigeria (Lagos)

Visa for Nigeria (Lagos)

Old Apr 2nd 2013, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Kirkcudbright is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa for Nigeria (Lagos)

Hi All,

Stumbled across this site and very pleased, I really hope someone can clear something up for me!

I will be visiting a friend in Lagos in a couple of weeks. The thing I can't work out, is how/whether to get a visa. I looked on the UK Foreign office website, which says yes , and refers you to the Nigerian High Commission website, and this is where I get lost. I assume I need a tourist visa, as I will be staying with friends and not working; so I read the advice on the website and told them that they need to send a letter to the Nigerian High Commission with a copy from their passport and their bank account..

So, this is where the confusion starts. They say that this is not correct, that I can just come and pay a visa fee at the airport; also that I should not apply for a visa online because you have to pay fees and that you shouldn't pay anyone in Nigeria over the internet. But they have Nigerian/Ecowas passports and so have never had to do this. I have colleagues from Ghana and Nigeria and they also say this sounds strange but again, of course, they don't need visas.

I don't know how such a simple thing has become so complicated, so apologies to all you seasoned ex-pats! When I have been to Senegal and the Gambia before I did just pay for a visa at the airports; same in Egypt, but that was a few years ago; has something changed?