Reload this Page >

Elections looming large

Elections looming large

Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Elections looming large

Originally Posted by Pablo
The brave Stanley voted with his feet, and now cheers on the kleptocrats and killers from the safety of Australia.[/url]
Pabs, you live where? Its getting a bit stale now Pabs, how about coming up with an original line.

and now cheers on the kleptocrats and killers [/url]
Nonsense Pabs. Once again descending to insults.

Some comment from Peter Hitchens below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...president.html
Toss up at to which article is worse. Answers my question about the Daily Mail though , I won't be subscribing.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daxk
And in the Context of the time, it would have been common usage, in the same way, what were little black faced dolls called? Gollywogs?
And which little white child child did'nt have one?
I think the journo is absolutely correct, he would have been called a cheeky kaffir, by the 19th Century Brits as well as the colonials.
In What way is he incorrect? Stanley?
It was common usage.
Read between the lines Daxk. He is calling him a "cheeky kaffir" and then hiding behind a smokescreen so that he can't be accused of being racist. Pretty cowardly I think.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I feel the same about your new and improved government and citizens that clearly shows some of the same tendencies. Some with a very vicious slant. Stand on your soap box and yell racist all you like but you know, you have to make sure the glass house is shatterproof.
Not my government Tegs, but perhaps you should follow your own advice.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ededed
Looks like the ANC will get their 2/3rds majority - on the results so far. This wasn't a problem when Mbeki and Nelson were in power but Zuma will probably use the opportunity to change the constitution. Scary times for non-JZ cronies.
I've been hearing this for the last 15 years, still waiting the first change.

Is there another G20 country that would have elected someone with his reputation?
To misquote the Sun when GWB was re-elected in the USA - "how can 10 million South Africans be so dumb"?
I think you've answered your own question.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Some comment from Peter Hitchens below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...president.html
Another perspective on "The Hitchens" piece. Strangely enough written by a bloke who Actually lives in ........ South Africa! (unlike Hitchens)

http://http://www.thoughtleader.co.za/tonylankester/2009/04/23/sanctimonious-bigot-gets-my-blood-pressure-up/

Pretty much sums up the way I feel about Hitchens and "The Daily Mail". Funny Pabs how you can have ago at the BBC, but find this rag OK.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 4:26 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stanley10
I've been hearing this for the last 15 years, still waiting the first change.

I think you've answered your own question.
Because as I said, Mbeki and Mandela were in power before. Mandela was too busy creating a legacy to care, and Mbeki too clever so understood the importance of keeping the west sweet. Zuma has neither obstacle - just an ego that is out of control, a thousand cronies to repay and a bunch of wives to pay for.

And I don't think I have answered my own question. You apparently can fool most of the people most of the time.

The Hitchens piece reflects the thinking in most educated countries around the world, the problem we have here is too many denialists screaming "racist" for anyone daring to voice an opinion. If only more had said the same thing when uncle Bob was starting to screw up Zim.....
Old Apr 24th 2009, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The Hitchens piece reflects the thinking in most educated countries around the world, the problem we have here is too many denialists screaming "racist" for anyone daring to voice an opinion. If only more had said the same thing when uncle Bob was starting to screw up Zim.....
Hitchens has also written

"And so it is with our country’s policy on contraception. It devalues the sex act. This ought to be an immensely private and intimate thing. It should be reserved for people wholly committed to each other and prepared to become parents."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...restraint.html

Does this reflect the "thinking in most educated countries in the world". Bollocks, Hitchens is a narrow minded right wing bigot, who is good at stirring a pot but little else!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:01 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Does this reflect the "thinking in most educated countries in the world". Bollocks, Hitchens is a narrow minded right wing bigot, who is good at stirring a pot but little else!
As opposed to a polygamist corrupt wide-bellied communist bigot who is good at lining his pockets but little else!

You can always take a single strand of someone's thinking and use it to support an argument - however obtuse - however I don't think JZ or his supporters can exactly claim the high moral ground when it comes to the use of contraceptives, do you?

However wrong Hitchen's views on sex might be, he is nailed on when it comes to JZ and no amount of typical ANC-style smoke and mirrors can hide the facts. There isn't another G20 country that would allow this to happen - and that's not only sad for democracy, it is dangerous for the country and it's people.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Good point Ed, but I'm not the one cherry picking Hitchens to support my argument.

As for the G20, I think I have mentioned the Italians ( they are G20 aren't they). Bill Clinton had his share of scandals, and George W..... .
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:48 am

As for the G20, I think I have mentioned the Italians ( they are G20 aren't they)
Not for long! Mind you, the Italians change their politicians every year, so there is hope for us if we follow that example. Slippery Silvio is like something you step in - just can't shake it off however hard you try.

And Dan Quayle was to JFK what JZ is to Clinton.

First real day of a JZ presidency today - and the weather is crap - that can't be a coincidence. He's screwed that up already!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

First real day of a JZ presidency today - and the weather is crap - that can't be a coincidence. He's screwed that up already!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Oh please! The Daily Mail is entirely incidental. One can look at The Economist (front cover, leading article, plus special report), the Guardian, the BBC. The only advantage to Peter Hitchens is that he says the politically incorrect things that media like the BBC shy away from.

And as Ed so rightly said, if more people had spoken out earlier about Zimbabwe, the disaster there might not have happened.

As for Zuma, it is no surprise that he has won. Depressing for SA politics and society is a poll The Economist reported on, saying that a sizeable number of ANC supporters said they thought that Zuma was GUILTY of the crimes he was accused of (including, let us never forget, rape), and yet said they would still vote for him.

As I have said before, democracy is only as good as the the people who make up that democracy. If the people are debased, the democracy is debased.

As far as the SA Constitution is concerned, well we'll see. Zuma has threatened the Constitutional Court, and his hit-man Julius Malema has said the kind of blood-curdling things Zuma thought it expedient not to say in public.

No doubt, now the worst has happened and Zuma is president, we'll see the usual clutching at straws and attempts to be "positive". It's yet another nail in the coffin for South Africa.

TOMORROW BELONGS TO ME!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

I think Prince Mashele's article says it best.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Columni...503003,00.html

One Voters comment summed the ANC's victory for me perfectly, he was unhppy with the broken promises, thought JZ was probably guilty, but was still going to vote ANC as it was the the only people he knew.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daxk
I think Prince Mashele's article says it best.
Clearly Mashele is another "racist".
Old Apr 24th 2009, 1:39 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly Mashele is another "racist".
Clearly, what other argument could there be?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.