Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Elections looming large

Elections looming large

Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:19 pm
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future
Default Elections looming large

Anyone of you guys manage to vote at one of the foreign embassies ?

Just wondering how it all went down for you. The mood of the people, organization ect. ??

Wednesday we all get to put down our cross in S.A. Interesting times.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elections looming large

Juggernaut, Although the Dublin Embassy was badly organised iro of the process,I dont in fairness think they had much back up in terms of training from the IEC.
it took forever but the mood was good humoured resignation and Dublin does'nt suffer from the attitude I have seen in other SA Embassy's and Consulates.
My Hats off to the staff for doing the best they could in a courteous manner.

What was interesting is that there are 27,000 odd South African born people in Ireland according to the last census, only 800 odd registered to vote and I doubt 400 cast their vote.
The rest have obviously written SA off.

Last edited by Daxk; Apr 20th 2009 at 6:28 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 6:10 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I am actually yet to meet any South Africans here that believe their vote would count. They think that it is merely a token gesture and the results are a given regardless.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 4:09 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Nice little blurb about the merits of our fine President Zuma. Ah yes, let the dung roll downhill. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...dent-week.html
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

ausmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

Just became an Australian citizen last week so would not be that eager to go and vote for SA( Not even sure if I would be able to) In any case cant see any of us in other countries voting would make a difference - what, couple of hundred thousand vs uhm lets think A COUPLE OF MILLION!!!!!!
Think I will skip that one and concentrate on something more important - voting in our Western Australia referendum on daylight saving!!!!

Last edited by ausmartin; Apr 23rd 2009 at 12:04 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I am actually yet to meet any South Africans here that believe their vote would count. They think that it is merely a token gesture and the results are a given regardless.
So did you vote?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Nice little blurb about the merits of our fine President Zuma. Ah yes, let the dung roll downhill. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...dent-week.html
"In the old days, he'd have been called a 'cheeky kaffir'"

With an attitude like this, how can you take the rest seriously? This bloke probably calls himself a journalist, he's an absolute disgrace, thinks he's civilised because he wears a suit?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:22 am
Nuts and Bolts

No Stanley I did not vote. I made a point of shaking off my South African passport because it is not seen in a good light worldwide. Not only that, a white face's ballot would probably be used to light the nearest bush fire anyway. As you know, I am British by birth so was dual. As for the article, yes there are some comments in there that are unpleasant, but the facts are that the man who is taking the most important office in South Africa is of a calibre of standards that should make most South Africans shudder should be a concern. I don't subscribe to the bad lingo but I don't play with labels either. The man is the worst possible candidate for a better South Africa and the majority have voted for him. One can only shake our heads and wonder when the new Aid to South Africa program begins. Mugabe has found himself a kin spirit.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

As for the article, yes there are some comments in there that are unpleasant,
The "journalist" is clearly racist and proud of it. What kind of a rag is the "Daily Mail" employing such people?

As for Zuma, you may think "The man is the worst possible candidate", but obviously millions of South Africans think differently, (I'm sure some are voting for the party rather than the man) thats democracy for you. Next time around they can chose differently if he doesn't deliver.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

so, did you vote

Originally Posted by Stanley10
The "journalist" is clearly racist and proud of it. What kind of a rag is the "Daily Mail" employing such people?

As for Zuma, you may think "The man is the worst possible candidate", but obviously millions of South Africans think differently, (I'm sure some are voting for the party rather than the man) thats democracy for you. Next time around they can chose differently if he doesn't deliver.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
so, did you vote
The brave Stanley voted with his feet, and now cheers on the kleptocrats and killers from the safety of Australia.

Some comment from Peter Hitchens below.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...president.html
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

"In the old days, he'd have been called a 'cheeky kaffir'"

With an attitude like this, how can you take the rest seriously? This bloke probably calls himself a journalist, he's an absolute disgrace, thinks he's civilised because he wears a suit?
And in the Context of the time, it would have been common usage, in the same way, what were little black faced dolls called? Gollywogs?
And which little white child child did'nt have one?
I think the journo is absolutely correct, he would have been called a cheeky kaffir, by the 19th Century Brits as well as the colonials.
In What way is he incorrect? Stanley?
It was common usage.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

so Jugs- by all accounts the vote went very well with a huge turnout. It seems that they almost extended it due to the long queues. How did you experience it? Are you optimistic that things are on the right track?

Originally Posted by Juggernaut
Anyone of you guys manage to vote at one of the foreign embassies ?

Just wondering how it all went down for you. The mood of the people, organization ect. ??

Wednesday we all get to put down our cross in S.A. Interesting times.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:28 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Yes, the man is clearly racist and how dare they employ him. I feel the same about your new and improved government and citizens that clearly shows some of the same tendencies. Some with a very vicious slant. Stand on your soap box and yell racist all you like but you know, you have to make sure the glass house is shatterproof.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:27 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like the ANC will get their 2/3rds majority - on the results so far. This wasn't a problem when Mbeki and Nelson were in power but Zuma will probably use the opportunity to change the constitution. Scary times for non-JZ cronies. COPE seem to have crashed and burned - the ANC's spin machine clearly doing it's job.

The lack of delivery over the past 15 years has been the only truly remarkable thing about this government - and yet still the electorate get fooled and believe JZ will bring the change the country needs. Is JZ really the best the ANC can offer? Is there another G20 country that would have elected someone with his reputation? The electorate have no idea of how this looks to the outside world, and how it will harm inward investment.

To misquote the Sun when GWB was re-elected in the USA - "how can 10 million South Africans be so dumb"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.