Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Anyone NOT been attacked in Cape Town?!

Anyone NOT been attacked in Cape Town?!

Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone NOT been attacked in Cape Town?!

Originally Posted by SabsLee
i feel like i'm getting a good dressing down from you for my opinions, and that is simply not fair.
No, I think some people are disagreeing with you, and you don't like it.

By the way - those cirme stats you added. What proportion are british expats - just out of interest?
Is this really a serious question?

I don't know, but i wonder if it's enough to warrant this discussion on a forum designed for their information.
If the answer were "zero", would that mean that discussion of crime in South Africa should be banned from this list? When a person emigrates to South Africa, do you suppose that the criminals make a determination of the immigration status of their victims before attacking? Of course not. If you live there, you're in the same boat as the rest, except that you have a British passport and can get out quickly if you need to.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:18 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I have only called you on it based on assumptions of the people responding negatively. My personal experiences with crime actually happened in Zambia and that is a far safer country than SA will ever be at this rate. My family members and friends have experienced their horror stories in SA and far worse than I could ever comprehend. I know far too many people that left because they felt they had to versus those just wanting to explore the world. The exodus (brain drain) speaks for itself. My connections to SA run far and deep so please don't patronize me. I am not a walking wounded but would most certainly describe myself as a realist.
Anyone that goes to that country needs to be prepared for the fact that regardless of the geographical beauty, the way you live your life will change dramatically.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:51 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

By the way - those crime stats you added. What proportion are british expats - just out of interest?

I'll answer that question to some degree to give the op more clarity. You will note that my nick is Tegwyn. Not exactly a South African name, and my symbol is a dragon. Dead giveaway as to where in the UK I originate.

There are many British expats just like us that headed over to the Copper Belt (Zambia, Zims) back in the 50's and 60's when job opportunities enticed them over. These areas as well as South Africa used to be termed Tropical Britain based on the sheer numbers of expats living there. Then, their children grew up and built their lives around other expats and South Africans to have the type of British/South African integration you have today. It therefore would be impossible to pull up statistics on the percentages of nationalities being attacked. A criminal usually doesn't give a toss anyway.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Stanley10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tegwyn
I know you can read Stanley. Observe title of thread. Why not argue the merits when you know glossing over some very relevant facts are intentionally being avoided. Fact. SA has a high crime rate, and needs to be noted in the choices you make. Unfortunate fact that no amount of pretty pictures can deny.
OK, so lets try again:

Q: Anyone not been attacked in Cape Town?

Ans: Currently living there and nothing to date, love the weather, lifestyle etc.

No ones disputing the high crime rate, but that wasn't the question.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pablo
Oh Stanley, you do love to stir up trouble. But I'm not going to be drawn.
So that a definite not.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

I see SabsLee has left the building, well done all another notch in the belt.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stanley10
OK, so lets try again:

Q: Anyone not been attacked in Cape Town?

Ans: Currently living there and nothing to date, love the weather, lifestyle etc.

No ones disputing the high crime rate, but that wasn't the question.
My wife and myself spent a highly enjoyable month in South Africa(mostly Cape Town)without anything going amiss.
We walked a lot including often being out until 10 pm in places like Sea Point and CBD a few times and did accosted for money a couple of times but never felt threatened or in any real danger.
Most white South Africans we met where very positive people with regards to their lives and crime surprisingly so after what we had been told by Saffers in UK and Australia.This was back in 04-05 so perhaps things have taken a turn for the worse.
Of course one month is not a long time to be any real judge on this matter ,but we actually had a greater feeling of freedom there than here in Perth.Must add and state Durban was something different and did not at all feel at ease down town.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 6:15 am
Nuts and Bolts

Cape Town seems to be the last frontier for so many that wanted out of the crime riddled Gauteng. Things there not quite as bad as Joeys or Pretoria but the thugs will follow the money, wherever that is. It has increased quite dramatically in the last few years. Obviously the poverty rate, diminishing law enforcement and corruption ramping up unsavoury activities. I will tell you that armed response and private security firms are seriously coining it now with the increased demand for security.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stanley10
So that a definite not.
Actually I was attacked when I lived in CT - by some lunatic with a razor blade, as it happens. But it was not relevant, and so I did not mention it.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pablo
Actually I was attacked when I lived in CT - by some lunatic with a razor blade, as it happens. But it was not relevant, and so I did not mention it.
Sorry to hear that Pabs.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:51 am
Just Joined

TooFastTim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by g_harvey
But that having been said, it is necessary to balance the logistics.
g_harvey, please think that statement through very carefully. Consider the long term effects of "balancing the logistics" as you flippantly put it. Playing a numbers game is social engineering. What the ANC have done is interfere with the labour market. Left to it's own devices this market would have found it's own level. The result is highly skilled, highly experienced people being forced out of their professions and, frequently, into other countries. Their replacements, as stated earlier, are, more often than not, under qualified or incorrectly qualified and inexperienced. The results will be a collapse of infrastructure. Eskom, the increasing incidents of contaminated water, roads degradation etc are all symptoms. Like all forms of social engineering it is doomed to failure.

Originally Posted by SabsLee
but i feel like i'm getting a good dressing down from you for my opinions, and that is simply not fair
You have an opinion, your detractors have had experiences. I think you'll agree there's a world of a difference.

Last edited by TooFastTim; Nov 4th 2008 at 3:53 am.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:34 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TooFastTim
g_harvey, please think that statement through very carefully. Consider the long term effects of "balancing the logistics" as you flippantly put it. Playing a numbers game is social engineering. What the ANC have done is interfere with the labour market. Left to it's own devices this market would have found it's own level. The result is highly skilled, highly experienced people being forced out of their professions and, frequently, into other countries. Their replacements, as stated earlier, are, more often than not, under qualified or incorrectly qualified and inexperienced. The results will be a collapse of infrastructure. Eskom, the increasing incidents of contaminated water, roads degradation etc are all symptoms. Like all forms of social engineering it is doomed to failure.

You have an opinion, your detractors have had experiences. I think you'll agree there's a world of a difference.

And everyone is entitled to their opinion on here