Reload this Page >

Anyone moving out to South Africa

Anyone moving out to South Africa

Old Jul 9th 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

Originally Posted by NTS
Actually with a population of 6 and a half people and 7 million sheep thats a pretty bad stat.
Those sheep can be dangerous.
But seriously - NZ has it's dark side too (not involving sheep either) some of the highest rates of domestic violence in the world.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:24 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 6000
Those sheep can be dangerous.
But seriously - NZ has it's dark side too (not involving sheep either) some of the highest rates of domestic violence in the world.
domestic violence, child abuse, and suicide are things most kiwi's don't want to talk about.

I commend the SAPS for being transparent in their reporting of child abuse stats. Try finding those figures in NZ. Well, I have, and can't find them.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:37 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by 6000
Nope - reported rapes. And even 500,000 (a figure I guess you picked from the air) is still WAYYYY short of 1.5million!
"We are trying to send a message of support to survivors of sexual violence - to draw attention to social and legal problems around sexual violence in South Africa," said Carrie Shelver of People Opposing Woman Abuse (Powa), one of the organisations participating in the demonstration.

A woman is raped in South Africa every 26 seconds, according to Powa's estimate.

Only one in nine rapes that takes place in South Africa is ever reported - out of the reported cases, only 7% lead to a conviction, Powa says

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4713172.stm

Last edited by TouristTrap; Jul 9th 2007 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know how often they do a survey but this one from 2000, updated 2004 may shed some light:
The smallest crime category is sexual offences, accounting for less than 1 percent of all recorded crime in 2000, and in every year since 1994. There was no significant change in the overall sexual offence rate over the period. The majority of sexual offences fell into the sexual attacks class. Sexual attacks contributed 63 to 65 percent of the total number of sexual offences between 1994 and 2000, decreasing slightly over the period.
http://www.stats.govt.nz/analytical-...l-offences.htm

But more up to date stats can be found at http://wdmzpub01.stats.govt.nz/wds/T...r/dimView.aspx
it's a bit of a mission to build the table but it's there under violent crimes rape for all years to 2005
just google sexual offences NZ and it's all there
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TouristTrap

{POWA estimates}
TT - While they are a worthwhile group of people, POWA isn't exactly an objective source for this sort of information. And even they call their figures "estimates".
Truth is, there are no hard or fast data on this - same as in every country.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:32 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

So, we accept an 'unbiased' source like the Saps site? Right.

POWA have been in the frontline for years. I'd take their take on the situation over the SAPS figures, any day.

http://www.powa.co.za/Display.asp?ID=2

1 in 9 or 10 is not that uncommon. I read a report that in Thoyohandou for example, 95% of rape wasn't reported.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

POWA have been in the frontline for years. I'd take their take on the situation over the SAPS figures, any day.

1 in 9 or 10 is not that uncommon. I read a report that in Thoyohandou for example, 95% of rape wasn't reported.
I'm not saying the SAPS figures are 100% correct. But I'd guess they're more objective than POWA's.
And after all, SAPS have been frontline for - well - years too.

Much like some people on this forum and some people on the HCR site, I'd guess that the true figure lies somewhere in between. Everyone has an agenda on these emotive issues.
When looking at this sort of thing, where anyone reads a report or what it says are very much secondary and tertiary to who actually wrote it and what they want to show.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:03 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

you believe 1 in 4 men have raped a women?

love this one : i) 1 in 2 women have a chance of being raped in their lifetime

I have a chance of winning the lotto but it aint gonna happen!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Tell that to all the thousands of South African women, children and babies that are raped there every year, most who live in the townships/squatter camps/farms and are often raped repeatedly over a period of years, oftentimes by gangs.

But hey, South Africa doesn't have a problem with rape since only 50k got reported to the Saps, it seems.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
you believe 1 in 4 men have raped a women?

love this one : i) 1 in 2 women have a chance of being raped in their lifetime

I have a chance of winning the lotto but it aint gonna happen!
Stats really aren't your strong point, are they?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:10 pm
Banned

Stats really aren't your strong point, are they?
Not much I can do with the figures tt - they are what they are.

some strong claims from powa web site (seemingly backed up with no references)

Women

(i) 1 in 2 women have a chance of being raped in their lifetime

(II) A woman is raped every 26 seconds in South Africa

(III) More than 40% of perpetrators are known to the rape survivor.

(IV) Less than 2% of reported rapes are false

(V) Most rapes occur within the rapists community

(VI) 1 in 4 women are in an abusive relationship

(VII) A woman is killed every 6 days by her intimate male partner in South Africa.

(VIII) Women are more likely to be attacked by someone they know than by a stranger

Last edited by mingusdynasty; Jul 9th 2007 at 11:13 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:16 pm
Account Closed

Since you don't even know who they are, have never heard of them before you saw my quote, that'd make you the expert on rape in South Africa, over them, I presume?

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Not much I can do with the figures tt - they are what they are.

some strong claims from powa web site (seemingly backed up with no references)

Women

(i) 1 in 2 women have a chance of being raped in their lifetime

(II) A woman is raped every 26 seconds in South Africa

(III) More than 40% of perpetrators are known to the rape survivor.

(IV) Less than 2% of reported rapes are false

(V) Most rapes occur within the rapists community

(VI) 1 in 4 women are in an abusive relationship

(VII) A woman is killed every 6 days by her intimate male partner in South Africa.

(VIII) Women are more likely to be attacked by someone they know than by a stranger
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:18 pm
Banned

Since you don't even know who they are, have never heard of them before you saw my quote, that'd make you the expert on rape in South Africa, over them, I presume?

Thanks for the link. You made my day.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, and as a totally subjective experience,when my wife's 19 year old receptionist was abducted at 7pm from a shoppingcentre in Midrand as she left the Gym, gangraped, managed to escape.
the Rape crisis centre and Powa the next day were wonderful.
The attitude of the SAPS at Midrand however was to say the least, unhelpful.
In my presence they tried to persuade Jabu not to report it as there were 4 of them but not all participated in the rape.
Suddenly, the G/f of one ofthe detectives walks past wearing Jabu's designer track suit top WITH Jabu's Name stitched into the Collar.

Jabu's Boyfriend worked for one of the Mobile Phone Companies, they tracked the Mobile Phone down to a house , SAPS did nothing.

I'd like to quote from the SA Law Commissions Report on Convictions, Conclusions, which although is from 2000, I dont believe much has changed.

Crime pays. South African criminals, even violent criminals, tend to get away with their crimes. For
every 100 violent crimes (murder, rape and aggravated robbery) reported to the police, perpetrators in
only six cases had been convicted after more than two years.
This proportion of convictions in relation to the reported cases two years after the report is similar for
different crime categories. There is a conviction in approximately one in ten reported cases of rape of
a girl under 18 (9%) and in a similar proportion of reported murder cases (11%). Less than one in
twenty perpetrators of reported adult rape (5%) or aggravated robbery (3%) are convicted. Threequarters
of cases involving murder, rape and robbery with aggravating circumstances have not even
made it to court after two years.
The conviction rates for murder and for rape are considerably higher in the other countries for which
comparable results were available. The conviction rates for murder in both the United States and
England & Wales were five times higher than South Africa. Approximately 50% of reported murders
result in convictions in those two jurisdictions compared to 11% in South Africa. Internationally, it
appears that fewer rapes result in conviction compared with murder. The conviction rate for rape is
19% in the United States and 10% in England & Wales, although both are higher than South Africa
(7%). Comparisons show that in all countries very few robberies result in conviction with the conviction
rates for robbery in the United States and England & Wales even lower than the 3% in South Africa
(although this may be because of differences in classification).
Although the South African criminal justice system does not seem to be alone in allowing the vast
majority of rapes and robberies to go unpunished, it does so to a far greater extent with rape than the
other countries examined. As for murder, the South African conviction rate appears woefully low by
international comparison.
http://www.justiceinitiative.org/db/...?file_id=13550

Now even if the conviction rate is 9% over 6 years (which I doubt) and Jacob Zuma's very public Court case, any rapist has a high chance of getting away with it.
How much confidence do the public of all races have in the SAPS?

Last edited by Daxk; Jul 9th 2007 at 11:28 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Daxk
Yes, and as a totally subjective experience,when my wife's 19 year old receptionist was abducted at 7pm from a shoppingcentre in Midrand as she left the Gym, gangraped, managed to escape.
the Rape crisis centre and Powa the next day were wonderful.
The attitude of the SAPS at Midrand however was to say the least, unhelpful.
In my presence they tried to persuade Jabu not to report it as there were 4 of them but not all participated in the rape.
Suddenly, the G/f of one ofthe detectives walks past wearing Jabu's designer track suit top WITH Jabu's Name stitched into the Collar.

Jabu's Boyfriend worked for one of the Mobile Phone Companies, they tracked the Mobile Phone down to a house , SAPS did nothing.

I'd like to quote from the SA Law Commissions Report on Convictions, Conclusions, which although is from 2000, I dont believe much has changed.

Crime pays. South African criminals, even violent criminals, tend to get away with their crimes. For
every 100 violent crimes (murder, rape and aggravated robbery) reported to the police, perpetrators in
only six cases had been convicted after more than two years.
This proportion of convictions in relation to the reported cases two years after the report is similar for
different crime categories. There is a conviction in approximately one in ten reported cases of rape of
a girl under 18 (9%) and in a similar proportion of reported murder cases (11%). Less than one in
twenty perpetrators of reported adult rape (5%) or aggravated robbery (3%) are convicted. Threequarters
of cases involving murder, rape and robbery with aggravating circumstances have not even
made it to court after two years.
The conviction rates for murder and for rape are considerably higher in the other countries for which
comparable results were available. The conviction rates for murder in both the United States and
England & Wales were five times higher than South Africa. Approximately 50% of reported murders
result in convictions in those two jurisdictions compared to 11% in South Africa. Internationally, it
appears that fewer rapes result in conviction compared with murder. The conviction rate for rape is
19% in the United States and 10% in England & Wales, although both are higher than South Africa
(7%). Comparisons show that in all countries very few robberies result in conviction with the conviction
rates for robbery in the United States and England & Wales even lower than the 3% in South Africa
(although this may be because of differences in classification).
Although the South African criminal justice system does not seem to be alone in allowing the vast
majority of rapes and robberies to go unpunished, it does so to a far greater extent with rape than the
other countries examined. As for murder, the South African conviction rate appears woefully low by
international comparison.
http://www.justiceinitiative.org/db/...?file_id=13550

Now even if the conviction rate is 9% over 6 years (which I doubt) and Jacob Zuma's very public Court case, any rapist has a high chance of getting away with it.
How much confidence do the public of all races have in the SAPS?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.