British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/)
-   -   Anyone moving out to South Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/africa-84/anyone-moving-out-south-africa-256073/)

TouristTrap May 16th 2006 1:46 am

Re: Anyone moving out to South Africa

Who do you think you're fooling? No South African that's for sure.

Here folks is the current typical S.A. attitude to murder levels which are at best, a few thousand more than the US, with nearly 7 times S.A.'s population, and at worse double that of the US. Quibble the figures, attack the sources, etc....try as you might to obfuscate the truth.

Your 'homecoming-revolution' might work on some poor expat who is clueless to the truth, but it doesn't work on us.

username 34 May 16th 2006 2:22 am

Originally Posted by TouristTrap

Here folks is the current typical S.A. attitude to murder levels which are at best, a few thousand more than the US, with nearly 7 times S.A.'s population, and at worse double that of the US. Quibble the figures, attack the sources, etc....try as you might to obfuscate the truth.

Your 'homecoming-revolution' might work on some poor expat who is clueless to the truth, but it doesn't work on us.

Tourist Trap, you and I are so on the same page!! the reality of the place is bloody frightening to be honest. Yes, you may have a maid, yes a gardener, yes even a pool to but you are a target EVERY DAY! Healthcare can be a death sentence, Aids is an epidemic of HUGE magnitude and you live behind bars, literally.

And the most sad thing of all is that even though house prices are on the rise out there - returning to the UK or other places of origin is almost financially impossible - you're trapped!

Shellfish May 16th 2006 3:07 am

Originally Posted by islandmom
they both relocated because their young wives were making their lives hell coz they missed mummy!

very patronising

hahahaha May 16th 2006 4:34 am

Pffft...whatever mate. I'm not fooling you but I don't know about every South African and certainly not any serious crime statistician. The difference between you and I is that I research my murder statistics and don't go on dubious information.

Now, kindly point out to me where the MRCSA, Interpol or the Department of Home Affairs have themselves stated these figures?

TouristTrap May 16th 2006 7:14 am

Originally Posted by hahahaha
Pffft...whatever mate. I'm not fooling you but I don't know about every South African and certainly not any serious crime statistician. The difference between you and I is that I research my murder statistics and don't go on dubious information.

Now, kindly point out to me where the MRCSA, Interpol or the Department of Home Affairs have themselves stated these figures?

Do I give a flying duck whether you accept Interpol's figures or not? Or if you're a crime statistician or not? Who the HELL CARES if it is 20 000 or 30 000?? The facts remain the same regardless. And the fact is that:

SA is probably the most dangerous country in the world not at war, with the crime and violence getting worse by the year, and you sit here and quibble the figures.

My mission here is to warn potential expats who don't know what they're getting into, that they'd better do their homework very carefully before setting foot on S.A. soil. Their very lives depend on it.

No more. No less.

Luma May 16th 2006 7:49 am

Gee sorry to hear about that happening to them. I hope they catch the criminals.

well - too late for my cousins now - went to collect their container and belongs and were held at gunpoint in the depot and releived of their car and some treasured belongings...

least they're alive.. know what I mean.

Luma May 16th 2006 7:52 am

Why do you care if your not South African?

Are you a troll?

Luma May 16th 2006 7:53 am

Well said.

Do I give a flying duck whether you accept Interpol's figures or not? Or if you're a crime statistician or not? Who the HELL CARES if it is 20 000 or 30 000?? The facts remain the same regardless. And the fact is that:

SA is probably the most dangerous country in the world not at war, with the crime and violence getting worse by the year, and you sit here and quibble the figures.

My mission here is to warn potential expats who don't know what they're getting into, that they'd better do their homework very carefully before setting foot on S.A. soil. Their very lives depend on it.

No more. No less.

hahahaha May 16th 2006 8:16 am

No more. No less.

Well, one minute you're saying the SAPS figures are wrong (when they're right) and claiming there's over 30,000 murders according to the MRC and Interpol, the next you're saying it doesn't matter?! Adding 10,000 murders (murders which never happened) on SA's already heinous figures is not clever nor informative.

You say the situation's getting worse but in fact, the murder rate has been steadily declining for practically the last dozen years. Murder stats are very different from crime numbers in general - because they're reliable.

SA is not the most violent country outside of war, that's another popular myth. At the moment it's Honduras along with Iraq. There is at times a 'full-scale war' in Iraq but mostly it's terrorism, banditry, revenge attacks etc. Before Honduras and Iraq it was Colombia, which ironically is now safer than RSA. The worst parts of Brazil are also worse than South Africa. The only year that SA was the world's most violent 'peacetime' country was 1998.

Wanna know where the MRC figures came from? They did a study and counted the number of 'violent deaths' in some of the countries' provinces. These violent deaths included traffic accidents, suicides and the like, as well as murder. They ended up with the figure you quoted. They did another study a couple of years ago and again, ended up with just over 30,000. About a third were murders, and strangely they only gave out murder stats specifically for the 3 big cities' and they were almost exactly the same as the SAPS figures.

I think you need to research a little harder in future. Hahaha bye bye!

username 34 May 16th 2006 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Shellfish
very patronising

Oh really! - they're

a) my family so i can say that with all thruth, and
b) when you have small babies YOU are the family and you do whats best for them in my opinion and not risk their future coz mummy is applying so much guilt it forces you back.

they've already been in a very serious situation as I mentioned earlier and theres only one way SA is going - in my opinion. not stats - and that is down. Not meaning to offend SA nationals as I said I bloody love the place and my dad is a SA born and raised but its damn scary and its future is pretty bleak to me.

TouristTrap May 16th 2006 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Luma
Why do you care if your not South African?

Are you a troll?

Love it when people who fly in and out at random, and who have no loved ones or vested interests there apart from some $$ in their back pocket, love to come on here and wax lyrical about that violent, crime-ridden, corrupt-to-its-teeth, dump.

username 34 May 16th 2006 3:04 pm

you can quibble about exact stats all you like - truth of the matter is SA has one of the 5 highest murder/crime per capita rates in the world.

Personally, with over 180 countries in the world why the hell would you plump for one of the top 5 most dangerous???

There may well be crime levels in all countries like US and UK but what there typically isnt is the fericious barbarity -

when they rape in SA, more often than not the entire family is raped, men, woman, and children. Mruders are brutal an animalisitc, babies are being raped under the myth that sex with a newborn will cure Aids. This does not happen in places like UK, Oz or US - the rates of such crimes are under 100 per year.

In SA I think you will find this number to be in the thousands.....

and if thats not enough to stop you taking your young family there, I dont know what is.

I plead with all prospective expats to do THOROUGH research and really consider if your safety is worth the maid and the weather.....

hahahaha May 16th 2006 5:16 pm

you can quibble about exact stats all you like - truth of the matter is SA has one of the 5 highest murder/crime per capita rates in the world.

Personally, with over 180 countries in the world why the hell would you plump for one of the top 5 most dangerous???

There may well be crime levels in all countries like US and UK but what there typically isnt is the fericious barbarity -

when they rape in SA, more often than not the entire family is raped, men, woman, and children. Mruders are brutal an animalisitc, babies are being raped under the myth that sex with a newborn will cure Aids. This does not happen in places like UK, Oz or US - the rates of such crimes are under 100 per year.

In SA I think you will find this number to be in the thousands.....

and if thats not enough to stop you taking your young family there, I dont know what is.

I plead with all prospective expats to do THOROUGH research and really consider if your safety is worth the maid and the weather.....

Yes I agree islandmom and I'm certainly not claiming the UK or US is worse like the first bizarre post on this thread. I was simply taking issue with ClapTrap's foolish announcements.

TouristTrap May 16th 2006 5:30 pm

Yes I agree islandmom and I'm certainly not claiming the UK or US is worse like the first bizarre post on this thread. I was simply taking issue with ClapTrap's foolish announcements.

Ah, the obnoxious stormer comes in under an assumed name again....how pathetic.

1066 May 16th 2006 6:50 pm

Ah, the obnoxious stormer comes in under an assumed name again....how pathetic.

I think you've hit a nerve .. ;)