Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back to SA recently?

Anyone moved back to SA recently?

Old May 22nd 2007, 8:56 pm

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moved back to SA recently?

Originally Posted by kato
I wil have a coffee at Capuchino`s for you !

Mmmm, they used to have a Burgundy's upstairs at one stage and we used to go once a week for a Latte and slice of cake each.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Bianx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 80safrikan
I dont need your respect. But you will show respect to the person who will take the time to come here and post her experiences.
These are her experiences, please explain how you are going to tell her how she experienced something? Infact, when she reads this thread, i would be very surprised if she bothers posting at all....

I never once said there is no crime in South Africa..... There is crime HOWEVER its not the war zone you portray it to be.

And YES, South Africa IS a great tourist destination.... if you bothered to look at my video comments you would hear from some very happy customers....

P.S my cousin went to London last year, she has been mugged at knife point for the first time in here life.... she is from Durban
Oh really? My freind got shot in her leg for her cellphone here in 'non war zone' SA!!!!
Old May 25th 2007, 7:02 pm
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road

This post to Kato, hope you read my reply as Afrikan requested. Hope it helps.
To Campbells I used to visit this board before your move to NZ, so I am not that new.
Unfortunately I have not been around for ages due to the content of these boards, and I can see it hasn't changed, so that will do for me!
One last comment to anyone thinking about moving anywhere, take everything with a pinch of salt as if I had believed everything that was said I never would have paid a visit here to SA, which is what put it all in perspective.
Adieu, enjoy the bickering!!
Old May 30th 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

Hi
we have moved back to SA twice after living in the UK for a period of 5 years, and then again for a further 18 months. Initially it is wonderful to be back in the sun again with rugby,surfing and all the outdoor life SA offers.
A year later, reality sets in when promotion in the workplace becomes limited because of affirmative action, and more and more people you know become affected by crime. Fortunately, we only had burglaries and car break ins..
We have been back in the UK for a year now, and have just had our australian visas come through. After visiting Aus in Dec we are now moving over permanently in the next few months. SA is a beautiful country, and I wouldn't advise anyone against the move if they really wanted to, as i know when we made the decision to return, no one or nothing would have stopped us. However, if you have the option of moving to Australia, I would suggest you look into it seriously. Good luck with your decison.
Old May 30th 2007, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Welcome to BE

Seems about par for the course. Don't know if you ever posted on voetsek, but we'd read the same story from dozens of people every month who did and said the same thing. The problem with some was that they couldn't return to the UK, having burned all their bridges.

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
Hi
we have moved back to SA twice after living in the UK for a period of 5 years, and then again for a further 18 months. Initially it is wonderful to be back in the sun again with rugby,surfing and all the outdoor life SA offers.
A year later, reality sets in when promotion in the workplace becomes limited because of affirmative action, and more and more people you know become affected by crime. Fortunately, we only had burglaries and car break ins..
We have been back in the UK for a year now, and have just had our australian visas come through. After visiting Aus in Dec we are now moving over permanently in the next few months. SA is a beautiful country, and I wouldn't advise anyone against the move if they really wanted to, as i know when we made the decision to return, no one or nothing would have stopped us. However, if you have the option of moving to Australia, I would suggest you look into it seriously. Good luck with your decison.
Old May 31st 2007, 3:07 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that homesickness bug can be tough and it is understandable why folk want to go back to what they relate to. It just gets challenging when home has become a hostile place. Good luck in Australia. It appears to be the last frontier for so many Saffers.
Old May 31st 2007, 7:03 am
Just Joined

kato is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ags
This post to Kato, hope you read my reply as Afrikan requested. Hope it helps.
To Campbells I used to visit this board before your move to NZ, so I am not that new.
Unfortunately I have not been around for ages due to the content of these boards, and I can see it hasn't changed, so that will do for me!
One last comment to anyone thinking about moving anywhere, take everything with a pinch of salt as if I had believed everything that was said I never would have paid a visit here to SA, which is what put it all in perspective.
Adieu, enjoy the bickering!!
Yes, I`ve read all replies and opinions. We are there in two months. Flights and accommodation for next year`s trip to Oz is booked for Easter. If we decide on S.A then I need to start visa next July, if Oz, start of 2009. I will keep everyone posted.
Thanks again for everyones replies.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Cosmos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kato

I'm in a similar sitation to you. Husband is SA citizen and wanted to move back there from the UK. I was keen to move abroad anyway but was thinking Oz intially. Our visa took about 18 months in total - I think we got a helpful bump at the end though from someone who knew someone.

We only arrived in Jo'burg last week so can't comment too much yet. We already had a house which we bought a couple of years ago and had been renting out so we're in the process of buying basic appliances so we can move in - staying at the inlaws at the moment.

I went to pick up my PR visa last week but home affairs are on strike along with all other public servants - think I'm going to have to get used to this. So far we're finding cars and broadband very expensive compared to the UK. Appliances are similarly priced although there seems to be enough choice. Food, petrol, day to day stuff much cheaper but we are currently spending our saved pounds when we start earing rands I'm sure we will readjust our perceptions.

We haven't started looking for jobs yet, thats next weeks task.

I'm deliberatly not commenting on crime, corruption or anything else thats been raised on this forum as after a week I am in no way qualified to comment.

Good luck and PM me with any questions.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 10:59 am

Good luck to you both in your choice. I hope that your choices make you both very happy and that your experiences are happy ones.

Definitely keep us posted to how you are getting on, and your opinions of things.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Hi Kato

We only arrived in Jo'burg last week so can't comment too much yet. We already had a house which we bought a couple of years ago and had been renting out so we're in the process of buying basic appliances so we can move in - staying at the inlaws at the moment.

I went to pick up my PR visa last week but home affairs are on strike along with all other public servants - think I'm going to have to get used to this. So far we're finding cars and broadband very expensive compared to the UK. Appliances are similarly priced although there seems to be enough choice. Food, petrol, day to day stuff much cheaper but we are currently spending our saved pounds when we start earing rands I'm sure we will readjust our perceptions.

I'm deliberatly not commenting on crime, corruption or anything else thats been raised on this forum as after a week I am in no way qualified to comment.

Cosmos, you must be relieved you bought your house when you did as the prices have risen almost as quick as the UK ones. I also found appliances weren't too highly priced there and there definitely was alot of choice. Cars and Broadband are definitely more expensive and so are items like Camera's etc. Food is quite expensive compared to our last trip, but is still cheaper than most British items, especially meat. Petrol is indeed cheaper currently but might reach R10 a litre soon if it continues with the current rise. As you said, you can't really judge though as you're currently still living on pounds, SA earnings suck quite frankly as the pay rises in no way measure up to inflation.

Good luck with your move and with your job hunting.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 3:12 am
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cosmos
Hi Kato

I'm in a similar sitation to you. Husband is SA citizen and wanted to move back there from the UK. I was keen to move abroad anyway but was thinking Oz intially. Our visa took about 18 months in total - I think we got a helpful bump at the end though from someone who knew someone.

Good luck and stay safe.