Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back to SA recently?

Anyone moved back to SA recently?

Old May 19th 2007, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

kato is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone moved back to SA recently?

I am a U.K citizen married to an S.A guy. We are off to visit relatives in July in Pretoria. We are seriously thinking of moving back, we are going to check out Oz nxt year and then weigh up them both.

Has anyone moved back to S.A recently that can give a balanced response?

thanks
Old May 19th 2007, 5:22 pm
Banned

80safrikan will become famous soon enough80safrikan will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone moved back to SA recently?

I can put you in touch with someone who has recently moved back from the UK to Johannesburg. They think it is the best decision they have made and there kids are flourishing.... If you want to talk with this person just let me know.
Old May 19th 2007, 9:16 pm

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point

A couple of our friends moved back to South Africa in the past two years, they have since moved back to the UK except for two couples who went to Oz instead. All of them left due to having been victims of crimes.

I really wish I had something positive to tell you.
Old May 20th 2007, 1:36 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by 80safrikan
I can put you in touch with someone who has recently moved back from the UK to Johannesburg. They think it is the best decision they have made and there kids are flourishing.... If you want to talk with this person just let me know.
Anyone here in this forum ? I too would be interested but prefer to hear it in this forum so we can get different perspectives on the input.

Cheers
Old May 20th 2007, 10:31 am
Banned

80safrikan will become famous soon enough80safrikan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Campbells
Anyone here in this forum ? I too would be interested but prefer to hear it in this forum so we can get different perspectives on the input.

Cheers
As long as you are capable of respecting someone else’s opinion, without feeling the need to argue or diminish what the person says/feels.
Old May 20th 2007, 10:43 am
Just Joined

that would be great. Are they on the forum? It would be really good to hear both sides of the argument. Thanks
Old May 20th 2007, 10:50 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kato
that would be great. Are they on the forum? It would be really good to hear both sides of the argument. Thanks
I have asked her to join..
Old May 20th 2007, 10:56 am
Just Joined

thanks
Old May 20th 2007, 11:12 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

As long as you are capable of respecting someone else’s opinion, without feeling the need to argue or diminish what the person says/feels.
Respect is a two way street and you haven’t started that off too well by referring to me paranoid and not capable of rational thinking, boet!

So if you want respect give it.

If your connection (to use a SA term) is going to post a whole heap of nonsense then you would expect people to debate the likes.

As you can see anyone that tries to paint the picture that SA has no crime and it is a wonderful place for tourists to visit is going to get people with opposite experiences explaining their view.
Old May 20th 2007, 11:27 am
Banned

I have asked her to join..
Would be good to get some background as an intro. That is the normal process in these forums. It is also courtesy to let other members get to know you.

Usually members with single digit posts ( many come in this forum with a very aggressive approach and disappear as quick) don’t get too much credibility as there is always someone trying to tell people that SA doesn’t have a crime problem and that the ANC have everything under control.

It’s a bit like the millions that have been squandered on stupid battles of name changes in the country from Pretoria to Tshitwane and Potch to some unpronounceable name. What was the whole thing about the ANC demolishing a voortreeker something or other and that too became heated subject. All this going on over a language battle whilst the poverty is rife and the starving stay hungry.

Sorry, bit off topic….
Old May 20th 2007, 12:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Campbells
If your connection (to use a SA term) is going to post a whole heap of nonsense then you would expect people to debate the likes.

As you can see anyone that tries to paint the picture that SA has no crime and it is a wonderful place for tourists to visit is going to get people with opposite experiences explaining their view.
I dont need your respect. But you will show respect to the person who will take the time to come here and post her experiences.
These are her experiences, please explain how you are going to tell her how she experienced something? Infact, when she reads this thread, i would be very surprised if she bothers posting at all....

I never once said there is no crime in South Africa..... There is crime HOWEVER its not the war zone you portray it to be.

And YES, South Africa IS a great tourist destination.... if you bothered to look at my video comments you would hear from some very happy customers....

P.S my cousin went to London last year, she has been mugged at knife point for the first time in here life.... she is from Durban
Old May 20th 2007, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

1stworldrules has a spectacular aura about1stworldrules has a spectacular aura about1stworldrules has a spectacular aura about

Hi, I lived overseas for 8 years. I am South African and along with my British wife we moved back in 2003.
Moving back here will always be different for everyone. I know of friends who have made the move and love it and others who want to go back. We fall into the later category. For us besides the crime, its more to do with the uncertainty that comes along with living in Africa. Things can change here overnight.

If you could take the crime away and the uncertainty ( I know you can't) this place would be Utopia. I have lived in the US,Europe and the UK and still believe your general day to day life here is better.

Having said that I have noticed the increase in crime, the decay of public infrastructure, the poor getting poorer, the general desperation that some people find themselves in here to mention a few getting worse since we arrived back.

We are now contemplating going back to the UK. I am glad we came back because I now have done it and its out of my system. Its going to be a big move back to the UK for many reasons but feel that if we dont do it now I will regret it later on, as although I hope I am proved wrong cos there are many people who I care about who live in SA and cant leave, I believe that this place is going to be totally different in 10-15 years time, maybe sooner!
Old May 20th 2007, 1:50 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

And YES, South Africa IS a great tourist destination.... if you bothered to look at my video comments you would hear from some very happy customers....

P.S my cousin went to London last year, she has been mugged at knife point for the first time in here life.... she is from Durban
tourist agent are you by any chance???!! "customers"?

sorry to hear your cousin was mugged at knife point .... at least she wasnt raped and then shot - which would have been far more likely in SA.

its a beautiful, stunning country. A great holiday vacation for sure, but you live your life with a certain fear in your heart, behind your big gates and security systems, always in the knowledge that you could be next.
Old May 20th 2007, 2:35 pm
Nuts and Bolts

Tegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond reputeTegwyn has a reputation beyond repute

I dont need your respect. But you will show respect to the person who will take the time to come here and post her experiences.
Really? How bl**dy arrogant!!. And we will not sell a bag of tosh to help you sell your product either.
Old May 20th 2007, 7:22 pm
ags
Forum Regular

ags is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Anyone moved back to SA recently?

Hi there,
We moved back here (Jozi) in Oct 2005 after having previously lived here for 11 years then moving back and staying in the UK for 10 years.
We(family of 4) really haven't had any real problems but it depends what you expectations are.
We had no illusions on coming back and to be honest we have been very happy.
Jobs are there, again you just have to keep plugging away as anywhere else.
AA is still alive and well, but if you have the skills you will find a job.
Cost of living has increased but you can't compare what it was 10 yrs ago as you couldn't do anywhere else.
One of the major hassles now is the traffic and gone are the days of commuting from one side of town to the other to work. To travel between Jhb and Pretoria at peak times can take 2 to 3 hrs now, just a joke.
Unbelievable development has taken place, too many complexes for my liking but the are a good safer way of living. Price of houses is also crazy now but still not bad comparing to elsewhere.
Crime is still a major concern, but we have always taken as many precautions as we can no matter where we lived. It is across the board so no one group is any less affected than the other.
The kids settled in well and are even passing Afrikaans exams!
If you have kids, schools here in the public sector are working with large class sizes, but my daughter coped fine. My son however could not keep up with the pace and has gone to a private school with smaller classes until he feels he can manage.
On the plus side we have the great weather, great food and the big outdoors.
I haven't regretted our move at all.
You are doing a good thing by comparing the two countries and are obviously fortunate enough to make a choice. I would have actually loved to spend some time in Aus but being over 40 without a degree, no chance!!
Best of luck, have a great time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.