Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back to SA recently?

Anyone moved back to SA recently?

Old May 22nd 2007, 12:01 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone moved back to SA recently?

Great post Campbell

I bought a piece of furniture when we first moved here, and it was delivered when we were out. Imagine my surprise to drive up and see it standing outside, where it had been for a few hours whilst we were out and no one had touched it?

We also have parcels delivered to our front door and left there, sometimes all day, and no one even touches it - all without a fence around the front of the house.

Peace of mind = priceless.
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Daxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond reputeDaxk has a reputation beyond repute

Campbell, I can so relate to what you are saying.
Because of ease,age and time NZ and Aus did not even figure.
However, I've spent the last two winters here in Ireland burning tyres,Burning carbon and releasing any CFC's I could find and so far global warming is starting to work.
Next project is to move the whole Island two degrees closer to the Equator.

Till then,
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:37 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Daxk
However, I've spent the last two winters here in Ireland burning tyres,Burning carbon and releasing any CFC's I could find and so far global warming is starting to work.

Till then,
Mate,

Im from Scotland so fully relate to that
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:44 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Till then,
The Algarve or Costa del Crime is calling you then
Old May 22nd 2007, 6:29 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Till then,
Let me know when you do .. I might go home more often
Old May 22nd 2007, 7:59 am

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol, you're all mad!! I'm freezing my bum off here in England, 6 years and I still haven't acclimatised. Don't know how you can stand the cold, I only visit Scotland in Summer, it's beautiful and reminds me a bit of home, but I couldn't live with the cold.
Old May 22nd 2007, 9:59 am
Just Joined

kato is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Hi Kato

My best friend is from Pretoria and says she would not move back there. If she were to move back to SA it would be to Cape Town ONLY.

I have a friend who has moved back to Cape Town recently and lives about 15-20 min drive outside the city (near Tyger Valley). I can put you in touch with him if you like to email him or his wife. If so, please send me a PM as I do not get much time to look at the SA section.
Thanks. We have family in Pretoria so it would be East Pretoria for us if we decide to go back. The Cape is beautiful but family outweighs location. Like I said earlier we are going to weigh up both (S.A & Oz) over the next year. I feel I need to speak to our friends and family members who are the same age as us to see what their feelings are.

I want to also ask them (as they have left S.A for work /holls etc) why they have decided to stay, as it can`t be for financial reasons.
Once we have all infromation we can then make an informed decision.

My visa for S.A would need to be in next July 08, and the process for Oz would need to be started in May 09. So we still have plenty of time to hange our minds. I might just apply for the S.A visa then I just have it in reserve, as it will take 2 yrs to come through!
Old May 22nd 2007, 10:57 am

Geez, that's ages for a visa!!

I'm from Pretoria East (Garsfontein area) and I couldn't believe how much things had changed when we went back for a visit in February. We saw a police chase while we were parked at a traffic light, and saw them catch them and jump out with guns. It was very scary for me, but my hubby was glad to see the police doing their jobs, I was terrified they start shooting and one of us gets hit by a stray bullet.

I have spoken to quite a few of my family members about them coming over to the UK and two of my cousins already have. The majority can't come because they wouldn't qualify for visa's or don't have the money to undertake such a huge move. A good few are thinking about emigrating, but say they would prefer Australia as they couldn't live with the English weather.

Any reason why you are waiting that long to start the Oz visa process?
Old May 22nd 2007, 11:31 am

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kitten24
Lol, you're all mad!! I'm freezing my bum off here in England, 6 years and I still haven't acclimatised. Don't know how you can stand the cold, I only visit Scotland in Summer, it's beautiful and reminds me a bit of home, but I couldn't live with the cold.
I've just been out for lunch it's 6 degrees today in JNB, up from -2 when I left for work this morning - and Midrand has power! Oh the joy...now I can have a cup of tea! (PG tips, of course...) Now - does anyone have any jammy dodgers??? (and pleeeeeeeeeeeeease - don't come at me with your jolly jammers story.....!)
Old May 22nd 2007, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

The theory I have held for a long time is that, if things start to fall apart in SA, it will not take longer than elsewhere in Africa, it will take *less* time. Why? Because SA's economy is so much more complex. Places like Zim had a relatively simple agricultural economy. It was hard to mess that up, so long as you left the farmers alone. But SA is like a big complex machine with lots of wheels and cogs. One wheel or cog goes, and you can't just slot in a cog from somewhere else. Every bit depends on every other bit. When you reach a tipping point, the machine just stops working.

Oh, BTW, glad to hear you have power again Ededed. Just heard that they're making tv annoucements in SA telling people to turn their power off.

Pablo
Old May 22nd 2007, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Geez, that's ages for a visa!!

I'm from Pretoria East (Garsfontein area) and I couldn't believe how much things had changed when we went back for a visit in February. We saw a police chase while we were parked at a traffic light, and saw them catch them and jump out with guns. It was very scary for me, but my hubby was glad to see the police doing their jobs, I was terrified they start shooting and one of us gets hit by a stray bullet.

I have spoken to quite a few of my family members about them coming over to the UK and two of my cousins already have. The majority can't come because they wouldn't qualify for visa's or don't have the money to undertake such a huge move. A good few are thinking about emigrating, but say they would prefer Australia as they couldn't live with the English weather.

Any reason why you are waiting that long to start the Oz visa process?
well, I don`t finish my degree until 2010. My husband finishes his masters in 2010 and we also need to sell the house. Sooo, we figured start the process for Oz start of 2009, then it would (in theory) be thru when we are ready to go.
The process for S.A is crazy - the S.A immigration consulate told me 6/8 months, a consultacy said more like 2 years. If it comes in before we are ready as long as I activate it and then don`t stay out for longer than 3 years it still stays active. I also need it in place early 2010 as I want to do my graduate teaching certificate in whatever country we pick.

I have always liked Garsfontein and can honestly say that we have never had any problems of any kind. This time we are in Marloth park then back at hubbie`s mum`s house which is in Garsfontein.
Plenty of trips to Menlyn for me !!!
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by kato
well, I don`t finish my degree until 2010. My husband finishes his masters in 2010 and we also need to sell the house. Sooo, we figured start the process for Oz start of 2009, then it would (in theory) be thru when we are ready to go.
The process for S.A is crazy - the S.A immigration consulate told me 6/8 months, a consultacy said more like 2 years. If it comes in before we are ready as long as I activate it and then don`t stay out for longer than 3 years it still stays active. I also need it in place early 2010 as I want to do my graduate teaching certificate in whatever country we pick.

I have always liked Garsfontein and can honestly say that we have never had any problems of any kind. This time we are in Marloth park then back at hubbie`s mum`s house which is in Garsfontein.
Plenty of trips to Menlyn for me !!!
Oooh, I am so jealous! I love shopping at Menlyn Mall!!
Old May 22nd 2007, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

I wil have a coffee at Capuchino`s for you !
Old May 22nd 2007, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

Me too!!

Funnily enough, I miss this little coffee shop that existed in the Southdale Shopping Center, south of Joeys. I used to pop in whenever I was in the area on business and truly loved the place. It was called 'The Copper Kettle'.

Their chicken salad was out of this world
Old May 22nd 2007, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Me too!!

Funnily enough, I miss this little coffee shop that existed in the Southdale Shopping Center, south of Joeys. I used to pop in whenever I was in the area on business and truly loved the place. It was called 'The Copper Kettle'.

Their chicken salad was out of this world
I will keep an eye out for it !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.