Old Jul 12th 2007, 9:28 pm

hatfield1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Africa is in my blood

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
??? Trying to think of comeback...to early and need coffee
Get some coffee in that blood.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Why does that happen?

Let's face it : There are safer, wealthier countries we can live in. Why do we choose Africa?

She is a seductress and a temptress!
I used to think this to. That is till I took one look at Australia 7 years ago and never looked back. When I left SA after my degree (with no work experience), people said I was mad- they said that there was no better place than Africa. Whilst I agreed at the time and was extremely unhappy during my first year in the UK, I eventually got a job that has taken me all over the world and opened my eyes to different cultures and ways of life.

I think that for alot of SAFFAS, SA is all they know and all they care to know. Plus the exchange rate is so bad that for 90% of the country they will never be able to afford an overseas holiday in the foreseeable future. I know my parents would love to move back to Europe, but they have a good life and in middle age it becomes harder to start again, so they just invest their money in higher walls and biggers dogs etc.

Having been in Sydney for 2 years now, I feel completely at home. You really can't buy the feeling of surety of leaving your car at the shopping centre and then coming back and having it still where you parked it instead of in a chop shop somewhere. The lack of taxis again is a godsend. I have no desire to go back and am enjoying exploring my new country thoroughly. In alot of ways Ozzie is like SA, and you also get the brown sand.. For me this is it and it could not get any better. Advance Australia Fair is my motto from now..

Sometimes I get a little hankering back to the old days, but then I have to remind myself that they are best remembered as they were. The same as Zim- best remembered as a place I had great childhood holidays before 'Bob the Breaker' decide to screw it up..
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:56 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SeaninOzalready
I used to think this to. That is till I took one look at Australia 7 years ago and never looked back. When I left SA after my degree (with no work experience), people said I was mad- they said that there was no better place than Africa. Whilst I agreed at the time and was extremely unhappy during my first year in the UK, I eventually got a job that has taken me all over the world and opened my eyes to different cultures and ways of life.

I think that for alot of SAFFAS, SA is all they know and all they care to know. Plus the exchange rate is so bad that for 90% of the country they will never be able to afford an overseas holiday in the foreseeable future. I know my parents would love to move back to Europe, but they have a good life and in middle age it becomes harder to start again, so they just invest their money in higher walls and biggers dogs etc.

Having been in Sydney for 2 years now, I feel completely at home. You really can't buy the feeling of surety of leaving your car at the shopping centre and then coming back and having it still where you parked it instead of in a chop shop somewhere. The lack of taxis again is a godsend. I have no desire to go back and am enjoying exploring my new country thoroughly. In alot of ways Ozzie is like SA, and you also get the brown sand.. For me this is it and it could not get any better. Advance Australia Fair is my motto from now..

Sometimes I get a little hankering back to the old days, but then I have to remind myself that they are best remembered as they were. The same as Zim- best remembered as a place I had great childhood holidays before 'Bob the Breaker' decide to screw it up..

how long before you settled in London?
Old Jul 30th 2007, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

how long before you settled in London?
I felt abit more settled after 2 years, but that was because I threw myself into it and mixed with other nationalities(got out Southfields and Wimbledon) and embraced my job etc.

Alot of younger Saffas complain (in Oz too) as they expect to have a maid to wipe their noses etc and can't do their own ironing etc. My ex housemate could not even work the washing machine. Tallk about a lame duck. Plus I used to do lots of trips to Europe (work and pleasure) and joined a rugby club and gym. The only way to remain sane if you ask me.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:42 am
jjj
Forum Regular

jjj is on a distinguished road

Anyone seen "In my country"?
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Why does that happen?

Let's face it : There are safer, wealthier countries we can live in. Why do we choose Africa?

She is a seductress and a temptress!
Africa is in my blood, true. But corruption, incompetence, violence, rape, murder, farm attacks, AA, BEE, stupidity, communism, child abuse, toy toying are not and never will be.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Does anyone still wear their Bok jerseys in their new countries? I have stopped wearing mine since coming to Oz and now have a Wallaby jersey. I think that this is always the ultimate sign of assimilation...
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of lightkiwibok is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SeaninOzalready
Does anyone still wear their Bok jerseys in their new countries? I have stopped wearing mine since coming to Oz and now have a Wallaby jersey. I think that this is always the ultimate sign of assimilation...
I wear mine, but only because I do not have citizenship here yet. Not sure what I will do once I have my citizenship, however by then SA will be the real "all blacks" due to the new rules coming into play, so i may be supporting NZ by then.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwibok
I wear mine, but only because I do not have citizenship here yet. Not sure what I will do once I have my citizenship, however by then SA will be the real "all blacks" due to the new rules coming into play, so i may be supporting NZ by then.

I always wore mine in London for the five years that I was there, but then I never really embraced it as my home. Australia for me is the way forward and it has offered me so much, that I now support Oz at sport- never thought I would see the day.. But na yeah..
Old Jul 31st 2007, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

So pleases I read this tread, spent time in SA and Botswana on and off for years, I wondered about Oz and now we have just received our visa's it seems more promising than ever.
Read on here though, meeting people in Oz is harder than UK or Africa.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:55 pm
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

I wear mine, but only because I do not have citizenship here yet. Not sure what I will do once I have my citizenship, however by then SA will be the real "all blacks" due to the new rules coming into play, so i may be supporting NZ by then

Kiwibok you should just call yourself Kiwi do us all a favour. What new rules are you talking about ? or are you pre-empting what SARU will do ?
I hate it when politicians meddle in sport but why is it that some rugby administrators has to be threatened and bullied into doing whats right .
Quotas shouldnt be necesary and should never be imposed at a national level .
Jack White seems to be on the right track though . "Jake White has brought in more players of colour than any previous Springbok coach, and with fantastic results. This can be illustrated by what happened in July this year. After suffering a comprehensive defeat to Australia in Sydney, Jake rang the changes and announced a squad that contained an unprecedented nine black players. Cue howls of protest and murmurings of discontent from Springbok ‘supporters’. The Boks, with scrumhalf Enrico Januarie and wing Bryan Habana shining, recorded a memorable 33-20 win against the Aussies."

Imagine the team we would have if we harness and develop all our rugby talent in S.A. from ground level up.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point

You won't support black South African players, then?
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6000
You won't support black South African players, then?
Don't try and put words in my mouth. I find it hard to support black players that are in the team ONLY BECAUSE they are black, while the better players (whites) are sidelined. It really has got nothing to do with skin colors but everything to do with the best team not being put forward. Now I hear that the gwarvamoont has to approve of the rugby teams, what next!!

But, like i said in my previous post, I still support the boks.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

6000 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't try and put words in my mouth. I find it hard to support black players that are in the team ONLY BECAUSE they are black, while the better players (whites) are sidelined. It really has got nothing to do with skin colors but everything to do with the best team not being put forward. Now I hear that the gwarvamoont has to approve of the rugby teams, what next!!

But, like i said in my previous post, I still support the boks.
Don't know where you heard that Government approval thing, but it's actually not the case. I can understand that there's a lot of misinformation, rumours and accusations around the transformation issue, but even SARU are saying that they're getting fed up of it:

The list of 30 players selected to represent South Africa at the Rugby World Cup tournament later this year does not have to be submitted to the government for approval.

SA Rugby Union (Saru) deputy president Mike Stofile made this clear on Monday, saying, "It has nothing to do with government.
"I hate this notion that comes up time and again that, before the announcement of a team or a squad, it (the names) must go to the minister of sport or the chair of the parliamentary portfolio committee on sport for approval. "Rugby is controlled by rugby people; not by government," Stofile said.
SA rugby should undergo transformation - it needs to: desperately - only then will it even come close to being the national sport. At the moment, the divide exists merely because there are a lack of black or coloured role models for kids; and there's simply a lack of interest in the sport in those cultures.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 9:53 am
Member Delux

Juggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant futureJuggernaut has a brilliant future

Kiwibok ...why do you think it is that most white south africans love to make fun of the way black people pronounce english words .Has it occured to you that english isnt their first language. I wonder how you would do with Zulu or Xhosa . When a black accent is heard the speaker is immediately seen to be less intelligent .Why not start to listen to the content instead.

while the better players (whites) are sidelined.
You already assume that the better player will be white - your words not mine .seems to me that black players have to be way better than their white counterparts just to be seen as equals. You see a squad of more than six black players and immediately its labled as a "development squad"

But I guess its got nothing to do with skin colour ....right ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.