Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

TRA Info from CIMA - Is it possible ??!!

TRA Info from CIMA - Is it possible ??!!

Old Mar 5th 2007, 5:52 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough
Default TRA Info from CIMA - Is it possible ??!!

Hi,

Trying to sort out my required documentation for skills assessment and really frustrated waiting for CIMA to send me what I need!
I have been told I need a letter of good standing confirming membership and confirmation of my exam results.
I was told the letter would be here within 7 days but the results cert. would take up to 8 weeks! So far (3 weeks after asking) I haven't even received the letter.

I know 3 weeks isn't long in the general scheme of things and there's lots more waiting to come but just want to get things started!!

Has anyone else had this problem with them? How long did it take, and does anyone know if the results thing is absolutely necessary or can I get my assessment done without it?

Please help.

R.
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TRA Info from CIMA - Is it possible ??!!

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
Hi,

Trying to sort out my required documentation for skills assessment and really frustrated waiting for CIMA to send me what I need!
I have been told I need a letter of good standing confirming membership and confirmation of my exam results.
I was told the letter would be here within 7 days but the results cert. would take up to 8 weeks! So far (3 weeks after asking) I haven't even received the letter.
I would think the results letter is necessary as you need to prove you got CIMA by examination, not by mutual recognition or direct entry.

You are presumably paying a substantial fee to them each year and are entitled to expect high-quality service. If the admin people do not fulfil their commitments, then you could escalate it to the Chief Executive.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

pippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud ofpippin lara has much to be proud of

Yes, you need details of all of your results from CIMA.

I only waited a week or so for mine.

As the previous poster said, you pay the fees and should expect a proper service. I would start phoning them every day and push them hard.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

Glenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to allGlenn Newton is a name known to all

Hi,

I know 3 weeks isn't long in the general scheme of things and there's lots more waiting to come but just want to get things started!!

Has anyone else had this problem with them? How long did it take, and does anyone know if the results thing is absolutely necessary or can I get my assessment done without it?

Please help.

R.
CIMA is not relevant to TRA.

Sometimes people use "TRA" as a generic term for skill assessment for migration, but TRA is just one of the designated skill assessment bodies, and is responsoble for trades occupations (plus a few technician and other occupations).

If CIMA is relevant to your occupation, TRA is probably not the relevant assessing body.

If TRA is the relevant assessing body for your occupation,CIMA qualifciations are probably not relevant to your TRA case.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 1:13 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Please help.

R.
I am ICAEW rather than CIMA but had similar problems. My visa application at 3 months was only marginally slower than the time it took me to get info from ICAEW then get ICAA to do the skills assessment.

When I first rang ICAEW they said they knew the process and would send all the relevant stuff. I sent it to Australia then discovered independently there was a good conduct letter needed as well. So I got back in touch with ICAEW who said that was a different department but they never thought to tell me that. So more costs, more delays. I also emailed ICAA to explain a second letter was coming but they said no worries, they probably would pass me without it (and they did).

PS In my experience that just about sums up UK and Australian bureaucracy - complete incompetence both sides, but the UK staff don't give a toss while the Aussies will have the ability and desire to do what is necessary to get through it. No better example was Commonwealth Bank on arrival - totally stuffed everything possible (and even some things not theoretically possible in their system) so had to return to a branch to sort it out. But they were always friendly and helpful and took time to get there eventually. Branch clerks even had the authority to waive bank charges etc rather than summoning the manager from his ivory tower.

Last edited by worzel; Mar 9th 2007 at 1:17 am.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 9:38 am
Account Closed

Thanks to all replies , We now have the info we wanted from CIMA due to pestering them .

yes your right JAJ, i pay them for a service for which i expect a quality service in return .

we can now send our documents off

After i have made copies & had them certified just in case .

R
Old Mar 10th 2007, 3:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

we can now send our documents off
Just don't send them to "TRA" unless you want to waste a lot of time and money.

If you're a CIMA member then ICAA is normally a good option as you should probably be planning to do the Australian CA program after arriving in Australia. Being an Australian CA will help your employment prospects long term.

Otherwise send it to NIA.

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 10th 2007 at 3:13 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

Hopefully GoMatilda know where to send them .
Thats who have requested them .

R
Old Mar 10th 2007, 3:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

Hopefully GoMatilda know where to send them .
Thats who have requested them .
They will know. But you should discuss your future plans to acquire an Australian qualification with them, as this may influence whether it should best be sent to ICAA or NIA.
Old Mar 10th 2007, 3:49 pm
Account Closed

Thanks for your help JAJ , will have a talk with them now we have all our requested info at hand .

R

Last edited by Scott; Mar 10th 2007 at 3:52 pm.
Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:19 pm
Pam
Forum Regular

Pam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the roughPam is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Just don't send them to "TRA" unless you want to waste a lot of time and money.

If you're a CIMA member then ICAA is normally a good option as you should probably be planning to do the Australian CA program after arriving in Australia. Being an Australian CA will help your employment prospects long term.

Otherwise send it to NIA.
I've noticed that on quite a few threads you are stating that CIMA qualified's need to sit the Australian CA once in Oz for future career prospects. I've been in touch with three leading accountancy recruitment agents in Brisbane, and all three said it's not necessary. Also CIMA is now Global, and although I appreciate that it may take some time for ALL employers to recognise this as a professional qualification, surely this means that it is not really necessary to become and Australian CA. I know in my case I will have enough on my plate up-rooting my family to the other side of the world without the additional worry of exams!
It would be good to hear if anyone has any actual experience - good or bad - as to how wll CIMA is recognised in Oz?
Old Mar 12th 2007, 12:26 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Pam
I've noticed that on quite a few threads you are stating that CIMA qualified's need to sit the Australian CA once in Oz for future career prospects. I've been in touch with three leading accountancy recruitment agents in Brisbane, and all three said it's not necessary. Also CIMA is now Global, and although I appreciate that it may take some time for ALL employers to recognise this as a professional qualification, surely this means that it is not really necessary to become and Australian CA. I know in my case I will have enough on my plate up-rooting my family to the other side of the world without the additional worry of exams!
It would be good to hear if anyone has any actual experience - good or bad - as to how wll CIMA is recognised in Oz?
CIMA may well say they are "global" but in reality, professional institutes obtain their status from territorial recognition, not "global" recognition.

The only United Kingdom accountancy bodies with genuine "global" recognition - through their network of reciprocal agreements - are the Institutes of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

All that said, some Australian employers and recruitment agencies do know about CIMA. More so in the big cities and with larger companies. But even here, the bottom line is that as far as most Australians are concerned, CIMA is a foreign qualification that they don't know much about. If you try to build a career in Australia based on a foreign qualification, sooner or later you may find you miss out on an opportunity as a result - especially if the job market gets more difficult

In my opinion becoming an Australian CA is a good long term investment for a career in Australia (as is obtaining a university degree if you don't have one already, that's something else which most professional accountants in Australia are expected to have).
Old Mar 12th 2007, 2:58 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
CIMA may well say they are "global" but in reality, professional institutes obtain their status from territorial recognition, not "global" recognition.

The only United Kingdom accountancy bodies with genuine "global" recognition - through their network of reciprocal agreements - are the Institutes of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales, Scotland and Ireland.
JAJ has posted this previously in another thread: "Another option is to become an English CA through direct entry if you qualify:
http://www.icaew.co.uk/index.cfm?route=125720 "

We've found the above from JAJ very helpful. So, it doesn't help you with becoming an Australian CA, but being able to put on your resume that you are an ACA with the ICAEW might be more help in getting you an interview than being just CIMA.

My husband has done the above as well as the LAW 5219 course with USQ.

Gina
Old Mar 12th 2007, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pam
I know in my case I will have enough on my plate up-rooting my family to the other side of the world without the additional worry of exams!
Hi Pam,
I can see you're having the same dilema as me. Have you read this thread I started a few weeks back?: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420212
Basically had the same response from JAJ, but some valuable responses from people with experience too.
I think I'm going to keep my options open and decide when I get there!

Rachel.