Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

CIPFA (uk) into CMA (Canada)

CIPFA (uk) into CMA (Canada)

Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:19 am
Just Joined

JessandJontravelling is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation CIPFA (uk) into CMA (Canada)

Hello all.

I'm a recently qualified CIPFA accountant, working in the public sector in the u.k. (municipal government).

I'm looking to emigrate to Canada as quickly as possible as my Canadian girlfriend has been successful in achieving re-entry into Canada as a family physician. My best idea so far is to work temporarily in Canada under a worker visa?

I should be grateful for ANY help, information, comments, hints, tips, anything to help me in my efforts.

Thanks very much!

Regards

Jon
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIPFA (uk) into CMA (Canada)

Originally Posted by JessandJontravelling
Hello all.

I'm a recently qualified CIPFA accountant, working in the public sector in the u.k. (municipal government).

I'm looking to emigrate to Canada as quickly as possible as my Canadian girlfriend has been successful in achieving re-entry into Canada as a family physician. My best idea so far is to work temporarily in Canada under a worker visa?

I should be grateful for ANY help, information, comments, hints, tips, anything to help me in my efforts.

Thanks very much!

Regards
Jon
Hi Jon

My hubby is ACA and has just gone out on a WP.

He will have to requalify the "tax" part of his UK ACA to be able to use the Canadian CA designation.

As far as I am aware this is the only UK accountancy qualification that you have to "requalify" for.

So know that BE member Smelly works as an accountant - think in a Uni and know that she did not have to requalify. Think that she is either CIPFA or CIMA but dont know for sure.

Would suggest that you go onto the website for Canadian Accountants (Like ICAEW / CIPFA in the UK- mean the Institute) and see what kind of Reciprosity you would get awarded. Here is the link for CICA

http://www.cica.ca/

Drop them an email as I know this is what Phil did and they were really helpful answering the numerous queries that we had - sorry dont have a name for you to contact as this was done on Phil's machine which is in Canada with him.

Do know for sure that you usually need letters of good conduct and written confirmation to the Provincial Institute of you qualifying in the uk.

Hope that this helps hun

Gaynor
x
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burton bunch

Would suggest that you go onto the website for Canadian Accountants (Like ICAEW / CIPFA in the UK- mean the Institute) and see what kind of Reciprosity you would get awarded. Here is the link for CICA

http://www.cica.ca/
CICA has nothing to do with CIFPA or CMA, sorry. This will only confuse things.

CMA Canada website is http://www.cma-canada.org
Old Mar 16th 2007, 12:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking to emigrate to Canada as quickly as possible as my Canadian girlfriend has been successful in achieving re-entry into Canada as a family physician.
What do you mean by this. Canadians do not have to "re-qualify" to enter Canada.

My best idea so far is to work temporarily in Canada under a worker visa?
Have you looked at whether she can sponsor you on family grounds?
Old Mar 16th 2007, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
CICA has nothing to do with CIFPA or CMA, sorry. This will only confuse things.

CMA Canada website is http://www.cma-canada.org
Thanks JAJ for putting me right
Old Mar 17th 2007, 2:10 am
JAJ
Retired

Hello all.

If you're asking about becoming a Canadian CMA, you should take a look at this page from the BC Society of CMAs:
http://www.cmabc.com/members/MutalRe...greements.html

It will be similar in other provinces. Note the need to have a university degree (among other things) - if you don't have one, you really need to plan to obtain one in either the UK or Canada. You should be able to get credits for your CIPFA study against a degree.

Professional accountants in Canada generally have university degrees, although degree subject is not important.

Note also the requirement for 2 years managerial level work experience in Canada - bookkeeper most likely won't count, for example.

Also bear in mind that except for the possibility to become a Canadian CMA after a few years, CIPFA may not be worth a great deal in Canada. You should keep up your membership though, as it will probably impress more once you have your CMA and if you let it drop, you might not be able to get it back so easily in the future.

If becoming a CMA through mutual recognition looks too hard, you might have to check other options, such as CGA (Certified General Accountant). This might be a good option if you don't have a degree, as you could get a degree through the CGA exam process.

Last edited by JAJ; Mar 17th 2007 at 2:12 am.