Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Temping as an Accountant whilst travelling..

Temping as an Accountant whilst travelling..

Old May 26th 2008, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Suki Singh is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Temping as an Accountant whilst travelling..

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on how easy it is for Accountants to work on a temporary basis whilst travelling abroad. Me and my partner are looking into doing some travelling for 6-12 months straight after we marry in late Sept.

We have not done any real research yet and do not know if these sort of things are possible. We are both 27, I'm a qualified CIMA accountant with an Analyst background and she is a ACCA Finalist working as a Management Accountant. We like the idea of doing a honeymoon followed by travel where we could work a bit within our skills set to fund our travelling, perhaps temping at a day rate and then travel some of the more of the world (e.g. North America/Australia). Is there a market for this sort of idea….?
Old May 26th 2008, 8:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temping as an Accountant whilst travelling..

Originally Posted by Suki Singh
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some info on how easy it is for Accountants to work on a temporary basis whilst travelling abroad.
What countries have you in mind and what's the plan regarding visas?
Old May 26th 2008, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Suki Singh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, to be totally honest I've not looked as far as visa's, was first hoping to to get a feel if there is a readily available market for it. In an ideal world I would love to do USA or Australia but am quite flexible.....
Old May 26th 2008, 10:54 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suki Singh
Hi, to be totally honest I've not looked as far as visa's, was first hoping to to get a feel if there is a readily available market for it. In an ideal world I would love to do USA or Australia but am quite flexible.....
Visa should be your first consideration ... if no visa is available, then you can't even think about working.
Old May 27th 2008, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Assuming you are a British citizen and there aren't any extenuating circumstances (you're a convicted mass murderer, that sort of thing) then you should be able to get Working Holiday visas for both Australia and New Zealand. I backpacked in Australia and worked as an accountant on a temp contract and had little difficulty getting work in Sydney 5 years ago.

I understand that, as in the UK, the market still requires temp labour. I also understand, but have no direct experience, that it is similar in Auckland and Wellington.

I can't comment definitively on the USA although I did look into it a bit and I think it's basically harder: you need to get a job sorted before you can apply for the visa, unlike for Australia or New Zealand.