Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Sydney compared to London - location of jobs

Sydney compared to London - location of jobs

Old Oct 16th 2007, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Astronaut is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sydney compared to London - location of jobs

Hi,
We're moving to Sydney next year, I'm an ACCA working in consolidation and managing ledger accounting in London currently. I was thinking that I'd have to sacrifice my dream of living near the beach (northern beaches) in order to live somewhere near a train line that would ease my commute into the CBD because I want a door-to-door commute of less than 1 hr.

But that is based on the theory that most of the large companies are exclusively located in the CBD. Is that right, or are many companies spread out in the surrounding areas? I want a challenging job in a large (possibly multi-national) company rather than a small management accounting role somewhere.

I'm used to the central London locations of West End - City - Canary Wharf having the best jobs and salaries. If I move to Sydney and want the same type of role (I know the salaries are lower than London, but I need to maximise) is the CBD the only place?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sydney compared to London - location of jobs

Originally Posted by Astronaut
Hi,
We're moving to Sydney next year, I'm an ACCA working in consolidation and managing ledger accounting in London currently. I was thinking that I'd have to sacrifice my dream of living near the beach (northern beaches) in order to live somewhere near a train line that would ease my commute into the CBD because I want a door-to-door commute of less than 1 hr.

But that is based on the theory that most of the large companies are exclusively located in the CBD. Is that right, or are many companies spread out in the surrounding areas?
CBD is not the only location for jobs. Other parts of Sydney with large corporates include:

- North Sydney (opposite the CBD, a lot of telecom/IT)
- Chatswood (small scale North Sydney)
- North Ryde (ditto)
- Parramatta (quite a few consumer corporations here)
- Botany/Mascot (near Sydney Airport)

Are you planning to get your Australian CA?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Unsure of the transition to CA yet, I'm hoping initially to just get a job on the basis of my UK qualification and experience, but I'm aware that progress would be assisted by the conversion to an Aus qualification.

Studying isn't something I enjoy, but needs must!

I haven't done much research into the conversion. I had my skills assessmemt done by NIA for the visa. I gather from other threads that I need to apply to either CA or CPA who advise which papers I'd need to take (tax and law normally?).

To study for these papers, how long does it take, it is a correspondance (distance learning) course or a college course, and how much does it cost?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't done much research into the conversion. I had my skills assessmemt done by NIA for the visa. I gather from other threads that I need to apply to either CA or CPA who advise which papers I'd need to take (tax and law normally?).

To study for these papers, how long does it take, it is a correspondance (distance learning) course or a college course, and how much does it cost?
You can apply to ICAA for an assessment for entry into the CA Program. As it's not for migration purpose the cost will be lower ($50 vs $400 or so).

You'll need to do tax/law bridging study (distance learning) plus the CA Program. Your employer might be willing to help you with cost.

Why would you want to do CPA if you have the option of doing CA?
Old Oct 18th 2007, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

I'd do whatever was easier to give me 'qualified' status in the industry & commerce sector in Australia, if it is necessary. I'm not planning to head into audit practice, I like being in the business and viewing auditors as a necessary inconvienence!

Following a CA program sounds daunting, like qualifying all over again, and I'm not keen to do years of study.

The agencies I've spoken to (Robert Half, Hays) seem to think that there is no problem finding a job in Sydney for UK qualified staff - provided you can impress at interview of course - hence accountants being on the MODL list, but I gather from here (posts on this site) that not having the Aussie qualification really restricts career progression and salary expectation.

However, part of me thinks that in a multi-national or larger company the origins of your qualification are not as important as your skills, experience and potential. Once you're in the door there shouldn't be so much discrimation. I can understand if there's more of a prejudice in smaller companies though.
Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:02 pm
JAJ
Retired

I'd do whatever was easier to give me 'qualified' status in the industry & commerce sector in Australia, if it is necessary. I'm not planning to head into audit practice, I like being in the business and viewing auditors as a necessary inconvienence!

Following a CA program sounds daunting, like qualifying all over again, and I'm not keen to do years of study.
The CA Program is five papers, so equates more to the final stage of your ACCA qualification rather than the whole thing.

You don't need to work in audit to become an Australian CA.

In order to become a CPA, you have to do the (six paper) CPA Program, as there's no direct entry available for ACCA.

There are some differences to bear in mind:
- the CA Program is more interactive than the CPA Program
- for CPA, the work experience requirements are simpler
- if you don't have a university degree, you will have extra hoops for CPA
- CA is slightly more prestigous than CPA, and is better recognised in other countries should you move on, so if you have a free choice it's definitely the one to have

However, part of me thinks that in a multi-national or larger company the origins of your qualification are not as important as your skills, experience and potential. Once you're in the door there shouldn't be so much discrimation. I can understand if there's more of a prejudice in smaller companies though.
All true, but bear in mind that internal progression/hiring decisions will still be made by Australians and while some will be prepared to equate a foreign qualification to an Australian one, others will not. Also consider it an insurance policy against the risk that the job market may worsen in future.