Prospects for CAs

Old Aug 30th 2005, 6:29 am
Just Joined

KURUVILLA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prospects for CAs

New to this forum.What are the chances of Indian CAs in Sydney or Melbourne.I am CA with almost 20 yrs'exp.in financial accounting.My wife is a teacher.Would she be able to get a job as well ?
I've read Accountants are in demand nowadays in Oz, but when it comes to actually landing a job say within a span of one to three months, what are the chances ?Willing to go down the ladder till I gain Aussie exp.
As far as teachers go, wife is teaching at an Indian school.More than 10 yrs' exp.Science is the subject.
Friends, please shoot suggestions.

Opportunist
Old Aug 31st 2005, 11:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Prospects for CAs

Originally Posted by KURUVILLA
New to this forum.What are the chances of Indian CAs in Sydney or Melbourne.I am CA with almost 20 yrs'exp.in financial accounting.My wife is a teacher.Would she be able to get a job as well ?
I've read Accountants are in demand nowadays in Oz, but when it comes to actually landing a job say within a span of one to three months, what are the chances ?Willing to go down the ladder till I gain Aussie exp.
As far as teachers go, wife is teaching at an Indian school.More than 10 yrs' exp.Science is the subject.
Friends, please shoot suggestions.

Opportunist

I think you should be prepared to get an Australian qualification. Australian CA is preferable to CPA (and you don't need to work in public practise to get the CA designation in Australia).

As for your wife, she will need to meet the NSW state registration requirements to work as a teacher. This may involve some retraining for her.

Have you be granted your migration visa yet?

Jeremy
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

KURUVILLA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jeremy,

Many thanks. I appreciate ur valuable advice.I will now think of doing the two papers of ICAA - taxation and law.It was ICAA that ceriified my Indian CA for skill assessment.Later on, I can do their full fledged programme.Willing to go the whole hog at least for longevity sake.

We submitted our medicals and pcc mid-July.Awaiting visa save any hiccups in between.My wife is M.Sc (Chemistry), been teaching science for more than ten years.What is the nature of retraining for teachers in NSW and whether she can work in the interim.

Daughter - std.9 and son - std 5.Been giving a lot of thought to the best schools, which area etc.etc.

Look forward to ur thoughts.As they say, information is the key - anywhere any place.

Kuruvilla

Originally Posted by JAJ
I think you should be prepared to get an Australian qualification. Australian CA is preferable to CPA (and you don't need to work in public practise to get the CA designation in Australia).

As for your wife, she will need to meet the NSW state registration requirements to work as a teacher. This may involve some retraining for her.

Jeremy
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 9:46 am
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Prospects for CAs

I think they now have mentored expereince so even though you might not be required to work in a CA firm to get the CA designation, I think your experience should be mentored by an Australian CA.

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 11:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hellboy663
I think they now have mentored expereince so even though you might not be required to work in a CA firm to get the CA designation, I think your experience should be mentored by an Australian CA.

That's true - but CAs are found in lots of companies.

Jeremy