Master's in Accounting...

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:01 am
Just Joined

itduke is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Master's in Accounting...

I am from commerce background and now i am looking for a course in Accounting but i a bit confused which uni. is the best

a) University of Melbourne
b) Monash
c) La troube
d) Victoria University

as all the above uni's offer the course in accounts and my aim is to get a PR and a good job after completing this course

thanks in advance
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Master's in Accounting...

Originally Posted by itduke
I am from commerce background and now i am looking for a course in Accounting but i a bit confused which uni. is the best

b) Monash
c) La troube
d) Victoria University

as all the above uni's offer the course in accounts and my aim is to get a PR and a good job after completing this course

thanks in advance

Five things to check:

1. University reputation. Melbourne is probably the best, then Monash. Both are Group of Eight. http://www.go8.edu.au
I don't know how La Trobe compares to Victoria.

2. Faculty reputation. If the universities in general have a similar reputation, then the faculty reputation (eg how good is the accounting department) is something you need to know.

3. Professional accreditation. Do you need the course to get admitted to the CA or CPA program, or apply for PR? If so, you *must* check how it's accredited by ICAA, CPAA and NIA, unless you can already get a skill assessment. There are special rules for masters degrees in accounting and it may not be straightforward. To get a skill assessment you'll need to meet their requirements.

4. Also check you will meet the rules for PR and accept the risk that they may change, eg you may not be able to get MODL points.

5. If it doesn't work out and you have to leave Australia, check how the degree will be recognised in your home country.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 23rd 2005 at 11:21 am.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 11:24 am
Just Joined

itduke is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Master's in Accounting...

Originally Posted by JAJ
Five things to check:

1. University reputation. Melbourne is probably the best, then Monash. Both are Group of Eight. http://www.go8.edu.au
I don't know how La Trobe compares to Victoria.

2. Faculty reputation. If the universities in general have a similar reputation, then the faculty reputation (eg how good is the accounting department) is something you need to know.

3. Professional accreditation. Do you need the course to get admitted to the CA or CPA program, or apply for PR? If so, you *must* check how it's accredited by ICAA, CPAA and NIA, unless you can already get a skill assessment. There are special rules for masters degrees in accounting and it may not be straightforward. To get a skill assessment you'll need to meet their requirements.

4. Also check you will meet the rules for PR and accept the risk that they may change, eg you may not be able to get MODL points.

5. If it doesn't work out and you have to leave Australia, check how the degree will be recognised in your home country.

Jeremy

Thanks JAJ

Its a great Help
Old Sep 28th 2005, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

samesame is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Master's in Accounting...

Originally Posted by itduke

b) Monash
c) La troube
d) Victoria University

thanks in advance
Hi,
I'm thinking about the same thing. Apart from Victoria the other three have been recommended to me. Take a look at www.cpacareers.com.au there you can do a cours search of courses that will later make you eligible for membership. However, you do need a bachelor (non accounting) than a 12 course master will do, otherwise yo have to do a 16 course master to be admitted.
Furthermore, I have been advised to have my Uni degree assessed before starting so I'll know which courses I have to complete or which courses from previous studies I will recieve credit for.
And CPA a really helpfull, just give them a call! Or send me an e-mail I have had a few chats with CPA already. Good luck!