P/Q ACCA & Australia

Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice
Default P/Q ACCA & Australia

Hi,

Im heading to Aus from Ireland in November.

After travelling around in a campervan, I plan to settle down somewhere with my wife. Most likely Melbourne, but that can change.

My wife is a nurse, so we're going for General Migration visas.

Anyway, im part qualified ACCA. 10 years experience.

Firstly, what are my job prospects as a p/q ??

Secondly, iv got 11 out of 14 exams, so only 3 left. And all the experience I need.

I know im best to finish my studies here, and leave after, but im set on going.

Can I finish ACCA there, without doing tax & law again(iv no interest in Practice), or am I best to go for a different qualification.

I wouldnt be interested in a qualification which wanted me to do more than the finals. So id be looking for the qualification which gives me the most exemptions. From reading other threads, CIMA/CPA seem to be the most popular?

Any advice welcomed !
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: P/Q ACCA & Australia

You can finish ACCA but as you may already be aware, it does not have full recognition in Australia so you will need to be prepared to do further study.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

smidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nicesmidsy is just really nice

Thanks JAJ.

Iv searched the forums, and I see that the ACCA seems to be problematic in Aus.

But what does that actually mean in a practical sense.

Like, because its not fully recognised, does that mean that an employer wont hire me, even if im a strong candidate? Or even worse, I simply wont be picked for an interview ?

I tend to interview well, and im only interested in Commerce or Industry, where the skills & experience should matter more than the qualification. But it may be different there.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

I'm a FCCA from Kerry and I worked in Melbourne.

The big problem is that lots of agencies/employers have not really heard of ACCA. To them its an obscure qualification from Europe.

ACCA are showing very little interest in pushing the qualification in Australia. Their focus lies elsewhere.

So basically we are on our own down under.

Wheter or not it hinders interviews, I cannot say. Like Ireland some employers prefer ACA's over CPA's etc.

My advice is get the finals, get the PR and play it by ear from there on in. If you must return to Europe at least you will be an ACCA.

My plan is to validate the visa, check out the work situation, get a job and maybe study for an Australian qualification in a few years.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 12:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smidsy
Thanks JAJ.

Iv searched the forums, and I see that the ACCA seems to be problematic in Aus.

But what does that actually mean in a practical sense.

Like, because its not fully recognised, does that mean that an employer wont hire me, even if im a strong candidate? Or even worse, I simply wont be picked for an interview ?

I tend to interview well, and im only interested in Commerce or Industry, where the skills & experience should matter more than the qualification. But it may be different there.
It means that the average Australian employer probably doesn't know about ACCA, and more importantly, doesn't want to know.

The only two qualifications given full professional standing are Australian CA and CPA, make it your plan to get at least one of them.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:39 pm
You will be mine in Hell.

Hellboy663 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Leedelta
Hi,

I'm a FCCA from Kerry and I worked in Melbourne.

The big problem is that lots of agencies/employers have not really heard of ACCA. To them its an obscure qualification from Europe.

ACCA are showing very little interest in pushing the qualification in Australia. Their focus lies elsewhere.

So basically we are on our own down under.

If you must return to Europe at least you will be an ACCA.

Well said. That's the trouble with ACCA. Not doing beans for their members. CIMA and CIPFA are having reciprocal arrangements with CPA Oz where members from one of these institutes can get direct entry into Oz CPA. Even Indian CA has agreement with Oz CPA where their members have to only do one or two papers. US CPA and even Zimbabawae CA have reciprocal arrangment with Oz CA where their members could get entry into Oz CA with just doing the tax and law papers and mind you, with hyperinflation of over 66,000% and the pathetic state of economy, Zimbabwae is not exactly a country you would want to be in unless you are an associate of Robert Mugabe. Even when a qualification from a trash country like this can have reciporcal arrangement with the CA institute, I don't understand what exactly is the problem with ACCA. We struggled so much and are paying subscriptions of about £180 every year but when we get to places like Oz, we have to do the local qualifications all over again. I am holding on to the ACCA for precisely the same reason that you have mentioned above, in case I decide to move to the UK or Europe later on but I feel that in the long run, ACCA might not be quite the desired qualification of many.