Credit transfers for ACCA

Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:59 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future
Default Credit transfers for ACCA

Hi there,

I'm currently in Australia, having an extremely tough time finding work. The only solid offer appears to be for a non-accounting role. I doubt my ACCA qualification (I'm an Affiliate - no degree) will remain valid if I accept the job.

Therefore I'm thinking of getting an undergraduate degree. Does anyone know which programme offers maximum credit transfers?

How odd it is, getting a degree after my professional qualification.

Regards,
Janice
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit transfers for ACCA

Sorry, I don't understand your post. If you already have ACCA, how will you lose it just because you take a non-accountancy job? Do you mean because of CPD?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:37 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Yeah, I think to remain affiliated to ACCA, one must be in an accounting/ finance role?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janicebks
Yeah, I think to remain affiliated to ACCA, one must be in an accounting/ finance role?
I am not sure what "affiliated" means. Well I know what the word means but not what an affiliated ACCA member is. Anyway I will assume it is the same as a member.

You need to make sure you get enough points for CPD each year, I assume ACCA does not throw people out if they take time off, e.g. to have a baby. Perhaps you can you keep up to date by taking courses, perhaps doing something finance related on the side? I assume you are only going to be out of accountancy for a short time whilst you look for a job, in which case I don't think you need to worry..
Old Mar 25th 2009, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

Hi Janice,

I know if you are unemployed you can file a waiver exempting you from CPD hours. I have used this myself on occasion. It is in MY ACCA section of the website. Login and it is in the CPD area.

Also you can do some of the free online articles on the ACCA website to gain CPD.

I didn't know that Affiliates are required to gain CPD hours.

Am I right that being an Affiliate still means you passed the finals but have not yet applied for membership?

So is it the 3 years relevent work experience that you are worried about?

Check the requirements with regard to work experience and perhaps contact ACCA in Sydney to see if there is a time limit to achieve this.

They also may know about courses that are suitable to your needs.

I know from experience that some people passed the finals and did not apply for full membership for years afterwards. Altough this was in the early 1990's!!

I passed my finals about 9 years ago so a lot of my knowledge about Affiliates is probably out of date

Regardless keep paying your annual subscriptions and there should be no problems about ACCA throwing you out.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:23 pm
Hopeful Idealist

Bermudashorts and Leedelta, thanks heaps. It's good to know the CPD can be waivered. I have tried calling/ emailing ACCA in Sydney but no reply. Shall try again. I'm wondering what happens though, if I end up switching careers altogether, if the qualification will be invalidated.

p/s: Yup, an Affiliate is someone who's completed the exams but not the 3 years of work experience.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 8:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Bermudashorts and Leedelta, thanks heaps. It's good to know the CPD can be waivered. I have tried calling/ emailing ACCA in Sydney but no reply. Shall try again. I'm wondering what happens though, if I end up switching careers altogether, if the qualification will be invalidated.

p/s: Yup, an Affiliate is someone who's completed the exams but not the 3 years of work experience.
You may need to contact ACCA head office for a query like this. As far as I understand there is normally an expectation that you would apply for full membership (and this would be to your advantage) but if you really cannot do so, due to not having the work experience, they may agree to let you keep your affiliate status.

But you really should make the effort to get the work experience and the full qualification after that. You can then keep it for life even if you switch careers, provided you fulfill the CPD requirements.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

louH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud oflouH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
You may need to contact ACCA head office for a query like this. As far as I understand there is normally an expectation that you would apply for full membership (and this would be to your advantage) but if you really cannot do so, due to not having the work experience, they may agree to let you keep your affiliate status.

But you really should make the effort to get the work experience and the full qualification after that. You can then keep it for life even if you switch careers, provided you fulfill the CPD requirements.
Yeah agree with JAJ - really worthwhile to get that work experience as soon as you can find work.

Back in my day (gained affiliate in 2001 and membership in 2003) I had 10 years to apply for membership. With a 3 year work experience requirement you should be fine to still gain that full membership even if you can't work in an accounting role for the time being. Back then there was no need for CPD as an affiliate but you really need to check that now as CPD requirements have changed so much.

One final word - you have a great qualification which no doubt you have worked your socks off to achieve. Don't loose faith - its not the qualification, or your lack of degree that's the problem in itself, its tough out there for all of us but I'm sure the economy will pick up and you'll find the right job in time (okay pep talk over!!)
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:14 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Bollocks
Old Mar 28th 2009, 4:52 am
Hopeful Idealist

JAJ, louH, Shane, thanks for your words (in Shane's case, um, word) of advice. I'm just glad to be working for now. It's been a looooong journey, even just to get this job.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 8:44 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ, louH, Shane, thanks for your words (in Shane's case, um, word) of advice. I'm just glad to be working for now. It's been a looooong journey, even just to get this job.
Hi Janice sorry but I rushed off too settle toddler v toddler dispute and clicked out too early.

My point is as you have aluded too is first priority is have a job, that job will have some relevance to your training even if its S&M (sales and marketing for those thinking like me).
Old Mar 28th 2009, 9:45 am
Hopeful Idealist

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Hi Janice sorry but I rushed off too settle toddler v toddler dispute and clicked out too early.

My point is as you have aluded too is first priority is have a job, that job will have some relevance to your training even if its S&M (sales and marketing for those thinking like me).
Lol. Which toddler emerged victor? No, it's not S&M (either way), I'll be in charge of enrolling students into a college, which really is completely irrelevant to accounting. Oh well.

Did I mention the 3.5 hour daily commute?
Old Mar 28th 2009, 11:06 am
Has left the building

You taking the long way or maybe I shouldn'tlaugh
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

moin will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Credit transfers for ACCA

Lol. Which toddler emerged victor? No, it's not S&M (either way), I'll be in charge of enrolling students into a college, which really is completely irrelevant to accounting. Oh well.

Hi Janice

Can I ask who did you get your assessment for immigration?

Reason I am asking is that I am getting mine done in a couple of weeks time and I was checking NIA's website. They are offering full membership on successful assessment. Now what I heard is NIA is not on the same level as ICAA or CPAA in Australia but at least you get a local qualification and better chance of a job. You can then move on from there as you see fit.

So why not try contacting them?... or if not CPAA or ICAA to get some kind of associate (entry level) membership to get yourself going!!

Hope this helps..

P.S I am starting a new post since I am starting out on my immigration case now so will be asking lots of questions!! ..
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:25 am
Hopeful Idealist

Originally Posted by moin
Hi Janice

Can I ask who did you get your assessment for immigration?

Reason I am asking is that I am getting mine done in a couple of weeks time and I was checking NIA's website. They are offering full membership on successful assessment. Now what I heard is NIA is not on the same level as ICAA or CPAA in Australia but at least you get a local qualification and better chance of a job. You can then move on from there as you see fit.

So why not try contacting them?... or if not CPAA or ICAA to get some kind of associate (entry level) membership to get yourself going!!

Hope this helps..

P.S I am starting a new post since I am starting out on my immigration case now so will be asking lots of questions!! ..
Hi moin,

Not to be bashing them or anything (after all, they did give me a positive assessment), but joining NIA isn't likely to help your career here. And it wouldn't be relevant to me, as I'm not working in the accounting field. It'll only mean more subscriptions to pay!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.