Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Is it a must to do CA or CGA to get a job?

Is it a must to do CA or CGA to get a job?

Old Jul 1st 2009, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

Ethan2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it a must to do CA or CGA to get a job?

Can someone explain whether it's a must to complete CA or CGA to find an accounting job in Canada. I have a degree in accounting and would like to know whether that would help at all.
Old Jul 4th 2009, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a must to do CA or CGA to get a job?

I feel certain you would need some kind of professional accounting qualification for any country. A degree in accounting is not a professional qualification.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

ron13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that you really need to get a professional qualification if you want to work in Canada. CGA might be your best bet if you already have an accounting degree. You need to get it accredited by WES and evaluated by CGA. You are likely to get quite a few exemptions.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 3:38 am
Just Joined

waterfem19 is an unknown quantity at this point

I currently work in Canada as an accountant but I transfered with my company. However, you don't need a CA or CGA but you can't expect to get a high position with out it (but I would say that is the same as in the UK). We have people in our company with no qualifications just lots of work experience.

There is a bit of snobbery with the qualifications but the CA is like the ACA, CGA ACCA and CMA like CIMA.

Lots of people get degrees here and do the qualification while working. Pretty much the same as anywhere. It is pretty much employer dependent what they are looking for. However without the qualification you are unlikely to earn much more than $45k