ICAEW

Old Feb 7th 2010, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

x_retro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ICAEW

Hi all,

I am studying towards my CIPFA qualification but am thinking to convert to ACCA/ICAEW as I am looking to work in Hong Kong in the future.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I understand you get full exemption if you convert from ICAEW to HKICPA in Hong Kong. You still need to do a conversion exam if I hold ACCA. However I am doing neither qualifications and am wondering which is the easiest and quickest way to convert to a HKICPA.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old Feb 7th 2010, 9:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ICAEW

If you are living in the United Kingdom and thinking of working overseas, ICAEW opens more options than ACCA (more recognition in more countries, as a rule - at least, in the places you would normally want to settle in).

Last edited by JAJ; Feb 7th 2010 at 9:20 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2010, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are living in the United Kingdom and thinking of working overseas, ICAEW opens more options than ACCA (more recognition in more countries, as a rule - at least, in the places you would normally want to settle in).
What is the conversion route from CIPFA to ICAEW?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by x_retro
What is the conversion route from CIPFA to ICAEW?
From other posts, it seems like you are full time studying but not working as an accountant? Is this the case?

As such, I think you have no chance of converting to ICAEW. It is virtually impossible without being employed in a chartered accountancy practice.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
From other posts, it seems like you are full time studying but not working as an accountant? Is this the case?

As such, I think you have no chance of converting to ICAEW. It is virtually impossible without being employed in a chartered accountancy practice.
I am a bit confused... from what other posts?!

I am working full time with the local government. Does that mean it's not a chartered accountancy practice and hence no chane of converting to ICAEW?!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by x_retro
I am a bit confused... from what other posts?!

I am working full time with the local government. Does that mean it's not a chartered accountancy practice and hence no chane of converting to ICAEW?!

Your first ever post said you had benn studying in UK since you moved here. Thus it sounded like you were still studying.

No matter though, it is clear now.

Local government is not a chartered accountancy practice no. I think it would be very unlikely you can convert to ICAEW. ICAEW nearly always requires the trainee to be in practice. I suppose there is no harm in asking them though.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Local government is not a chartered accountancy practice no. I think it would be very unlikely you can convert to ICAEW. ICAEW nearly always requires the trainee to be in practice. I suppose there is no harm in asking them though.
Many years ago, this was true. But it is now completely incorrect!

From the ICAEW website:
"There are more than 2,200 ICAEW authorised organisations, of every shape and size, across the world who train ACA students. These range from accountancy firms to FTSE companies, commerce and business as well as public sector organisations."

To the OP: To gain the ACA qualification (ICAEW chartered accountant), your employer must be an authorised training organisation.

Your HR department should know if your local government organisation is an ICAEW authorised training organisation. (I imagine your HR department organises everyone's trainng.)

And you should phone the ICAEW to find out what exemption you can get from the ICAEW exams for the CIPFA exams you have taken.

Then, if your employer is not an ICAEW authorised training organisaion, you may have to change employer to train for ACA.

If your employer is an ICAEW authorised training organisation, you need to persuade your employer to let you switch to from CIPFA to ACA.

Good luck!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Many years ago, this was true. But it is now completely incorrect!

Perhaps a bit incorrect. But surely not completey incorrect

I did suggest OP makes enquiries. But 2,200 is not that many worldwide and most ICAEW trainees are in practice.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are patient, you could use this route - http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm/route...ation_criteria. You need 5 years post qualification experience though. And apparently the pass rates are very low.