Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Most rewarding qualification in Australia

Most rewarding qualification in Australia

Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

silentgear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Most rewarding qualification in Australia

This might not be the right place to be asking this question but i couldn't find another place for it.

Focusing on Finance, Accounting, maybe business administration which degree might be the most rewarding financially?

Maybe the ICAA? Or MBA from a reputed university in Australia. What might be a better option?
Plus can anyone name the university which has the best MBA in your opinion?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Regards.

Last edited by silentgear; Sep 15th 2007 at 2:11 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 2:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most rewarding qualification in Australia

Originally Posted by silentgear
This might not be the right place to be asking this question but i couldn't find another place for it.

Focusing on Finance, Accounting, maybe business administration which degree might be the most rewarding financially?

Maybe the ICAA? Or MBA from a reputed university in Australia. What might be a better option?
Plus can anyone name the university which has the best MBA in your opinion?

Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Regards.
IF you want to be an accountant then CA is the best option.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

oksana21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good MBA's are VERY expensive, the one from London Business School costs £45k. Qualifications are valued but only to a certain extend, what work experience have you got? ICAA often pays more because you have to have to have the 3yrs experience that come part of it. p.s. there's nothing stopping you to finish your ICAA and then do an MBA, the Australian Graduate School of Management (very well respected per statistics) say their average applicants are 30yrs with 7 yrs work experience
http://www2.agsm.edu.au/agsm/web.nsf...ogmba-profiles

(p.s. hold tight when looking at fees, i nearly fell of my chair)

I would very much discourage doing a "cheap" MBA (or one which doesn't have tough entry criteria) this doesn't get you anywhere, if you don't have the funds for a good quality MBA then definitely go down the CA route.

Is the "financial" criteria the only one you take into consideration? In which case investment banking may be more appropriate? If you're looking for long term career progression such as to FD level, you'll need both . CA gives you more of the technical content whereas MBA softer aspects of management (that's what i've heard, i haven’t done it myself).

I've just qualified and this opened every door (i.e. what i'm trying to CA is an option which i'd personally recommend before MBA) and experience with the blue chip organisation is what really gets the $$$$ rolling.

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Oksana

p.s. are you interested in any specific country in particular?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 9:14 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

All remarks here are worthwhile. I have both and did a good MBA (Manchester Business School) and it gave me a very rewarding career in Industry. The rewards were not financial. I later did a CIMA qualification and doubled my salary at the same level of job - which was quite senior.

The CA is not as accessible as the other qualifications but there is no doubt that it has the gravitas. I agree with the comment that you should go to a good school for an MBA and to help achieve it you should cram the GMAT test formats as well as tap the parents.

Good question and good luck.

By the way the real answer to the question is to become an orthopaedic surgeon!!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 12:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dago
The CA is not as accessible as the other qualifications
In Australia that is not the case. CA is pretty much as accessible as CPA is.
Old Nov 20th 2007, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice

Just my 2 cents worth, finance and accounting can be financially rewarding but have you thought of acturial science. I hear thats a real option?

Have you started on any of the options you mentioned or are you at pre uni level?