Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Does AAT count for anything in Aus?

Does AAT count for anything in Aus?

Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Mat2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Does AAT count for anything in Aus?

Hi All,

Really useful site.

I am AAT qualified, and have passed 2 managerial level CIMA exams, have 4 more mamagerial, 3 Strategic and then Top CIMA to go.

I do not have a degree, only A-Levels, one of which was an A in Accounting.

I have 8 years experience in Management Accounting and have been a Senior Management Accountant for the last 5.

However, I want to start applying soon as I want to move to Australia by the end of next summer.

I see I will need to get my skills assessed, but I am assuming the AAT will not count as degree level (even though when I was doing it, it was advertised as such :-)).

How are they likely to score it, what points am I likely to get 40, 50, 60 or 0.

Which of the 3 bodies is the best bet/most leniant?

I don't really want to have to wait until I pass to apply,even though if all goes well this may only be just over a year.

I am not as concerned about earning a huge wedge when I am CIMA qualified, I have other avenues of earning money (property) but the main thing is getting in.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Mat.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does AAT count for anything in Aus?

Originally Posted by Mat2
Hi All,

Really useful site.

I am AAT qualified, and have passed 2 managerial level CIMA exams, have 4 more mamagerial, 3 Strategic and then Top CIMA to go.

I do not have a degree, only A-Levels, one of which was an A in Accounting.

I have 8 years experience in Management Accounting and have been a Senior Management Accountant for the last 5.

However, I want to start applying soon as I want to move to Australia by the end of next summer.

I see I will need to get my skills assessed, but I am assuming the AAT will not count as degree level (even though when I was doing it, it was advertised as such :-)).

How are they likely to score it, what points am I likely to get 40, 50, 60 or 0.

AAT is definitely not degree level. If they advertised it as such, then I fail to see how that was justified.

The best you could hope for with AAT is a 40 point assessment from Vetassess. Even that would not be guaranteed.

From an employment point of view, AAT is active in Australia. http://www.aat.org.au

Which of the 3 bodies is the best bet/most leniant?

I don't really want to have to wait until I pass to apply,even though if all goes well this may only be just over a year.
In order to get skill assessed as an accountant you will need to become a full member of CIMA.

Once you have your ACMA status, you can apply to ICAA or NIA. CPAA will not accept you for migration assessment as you do not have a university degree.

Once you're in Australia you should look to enhance your employability by:

- firstly, doing the CA Program to become an Australian CA; and
- secondly, completing a (usually distance learning) Bachelors degree. You would generally get credits for previous study and would only need to do one year full time equivalent.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Mat2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply JAJ.

OK, so I wouldn't need to get my skills assessed, but would just try and slot into one of the 40 point jobs. I don't think that 40 would be enough though.

What is my best bet then, try and get sponsorship?, get a temporary VISA and get a job over there and gain points (may be qualified then anyhow?)? Can you get a temporary VISA and how long will it last?

There seem to be so many different options, and don't know which is the best.

Thanks.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:24 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mat2
Thanks for the reply JAJ.

OK, so I wouldn't need to get my skills assessed, but would just try and slot into one of the 40 point jobs. I don't think that 40 would be enough though.
You would still need a skill assessment - from Vetassess, and it might not be possible. Depends on whether they accept AAT or not.

40 points might not be enough to pass points test, and employers are unlikely to be all that interested in sponsoring if they can just as easily recruit an Australian.

What is my best bet then, try and get sponsorship?, get a temporary VISA and get a job over there and gain points (may be qualified then anyhow?)? Can you get a temporary VISA and how long will it last?
Realistically, your best option is to finish your CIMA qualification (ie, become an ACMA) and take things from there.