Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Accountancy qualifications to emigrate

Accountancy qualifications to emigrate

Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

clairegary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accountancy qualifications to emigrate

Hi All

I am seriously considering emigrating in about 3 years time and im thinking of Australia, New Zealand or Canada .

I dont have any family links so would be applying for a skilled visa.

I have the following qualifications:-

LLB(hons) law
AAT Technician level + member status
ACCA stages 1 and 2 (currently doing level 3)
I will also have an oxford brookes degree in applied accounting later this year.

I currently work as an accounts assistant for a small company which is my only accountancy experience so far.

Is the above enough to qualify for entry and if not what should I be doing to ensure my application is successful?

Thanks in advance

Claire
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accountancy qualifications to emigrate

Originally Posted by clairegary
Hi All

I am seriously considering emigrating in about 3 years time and im thinking of Australia, New Zealand or Canada .

I dont have any family links so would be applying for a skilled visa.

I have the following qualifications:-

LLB(hons) law
AAT Technician level + member status
ACCA stages 1 and 2 (currently doing level 3)
I will also have an oxford brookes degree in applied accounting later this year.

I currently work as an accounts assistant for a small company which is my only accountancy experience so far.
For Australia, the questions are addressed in:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469256
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Having read through numerous threads im even more confused that when I started looking into the prospect of emigrating! And I wondered if anyone could clarify a few things:-

What exactly does a skilled worker visa entitle you to ie does it have conditions relating to the jobs you can apply for once in Australia? Could you go and take for example an accounts clerk role until you get established or do you need to get a senior role straight away? If so what happens if you cant find a job in a senior enough role?

Do I need to wait until next summer when I finish ACCA or could I apply now based on my current qualifications? ie law degree. I will also have an oxford brookes degree later this year.

Is the changes in September going to make it more difficult to get a visa?

Regarding work experience - will my current job count towards it? Im an accounts assistant in a small company and basically my job involves maintaining the ledgers, supplier payments, credit control and payroll duties etc. Should i be looking for a more senior role and what type of duties do I need to be looking for?

Im not planning to move until my son finishes school in 3 years time. Is there anything I should be doing in the mean time to improve my chances?

Sorry for all the questions. I just dont want to look back when I submit my application and wish I had done things differently!

Thanks in advance

Claire
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairegary
What exactly does a skilled worker visa entitle you to ie does it have conditions relating to the jobs you can apply for once in Australia? Could you go and take for example an accounts clerk role until you get established or do you need to get a senior role straight away? If so what happens if you cant find a job in a senior enough role?
If you migrate as a skilled independent, you have no work restrictions.

Temporary visas and some permanent visas do have restrictions.

Do I need to wait until next summer when I finish ACCA or could I apply now based on my current qualifications? ie law degree. I will also have an oxford brookes degree later this year.
Your law degree is unlikely to help unless you have relatives in Australia to sponsor you. If you husband was the main applicant it might help you get spouse skill points (but you would still need skilled work experience - see below).

Your Oxford Brookes degree might be acceptable if the syllabus content is enough to meet the requirements of the ICAA, NIA or CPAA. Your best bet is to ask the ACCA office in Sydney what they recommend.

Your skill assessment would be valid for 5 years.

Regarding work experience - will my current job count towards it? Im an accounts assistant in a small company and basically my job involves maintaining the ledgers, supplier payments, credit control and payroll duties etc. Should i be looking for a more senior role and what type of duties do I need to be looking for?
Quite possibly it would not be accepted. Book-keeping work is not on the Skilled Occupation List. You would need a job as a professional accountant.

You should get a copy of the Australian Standard Classification of Occupations from http://www.abs.gov.au and check for yourself. Or get some professional migration assistance.

The September changes make it easier for some, harder for others.

Bear in mind that if you are granted a visa before you are ready to move proper, you would need to validate your visa with a holiday in Australia (whole family).
Old Jul 28th 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply its very useful..

I am planning to go on holiday to Australia next year on holiday. I just need to research and decide which areas I am going to visit!

My husbands job title is machine setter. His job involves setting up and fixing the packing machines in a snack manufacturing company. I dont think this type of work comes under any skilled trade. I think its a similar Company to Arnotts in Australia.

My worry about having to work as an accountant here is that it is so difficult to get a job because there is so many applicants and they always want previous experience which I havent got. How many years worth of experience will I need. Also am I right in thinking that from September you dont get MODL points if you havent got experience? I think that would mean that I would not get enough points for a visa.

Ive done a few online assessments and im waiting for agents to get back to me.

Claire