Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

CIMA Passed Finalist confused about the assesment

CIMA Passed Finalist confused about the assesment

Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

andy_carey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CIMA Passed Finalist confused about the assesment

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz
Try calling CIMA, make sure they havent forgotten about you! Guess its their busy season...arghhhhhhhh.

Impatience is the name of the game when you have a visa app on hold!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Hey did you get accepted as a CIMA member in the end?

I did a few weeks ago, thankfully
Old Jan 20th 2009, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by andy_carey
Hey did you get accepted as a CIMA member in the end?

I did a few weeks ago, thankfully
I qualified too! Woohoo, we're ACMA's!!!

I got elected about 2 weeks after submitting my online form and I requested 2 copies of a 'letter of good standing' (basically confirms your a member but time and exam and that you dont have any warnings against your name) which came a few days later.

The trick to being a member so quick is to make a contact - my reviewer was really good, said he had prioritised mine cause of my visa app etc. Cant fault 2 weeks from submitting it to being qualified.

I also submitted my visa application at the end of Nov and my visa got granted on 12 Dec!! How's your application coming on?
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

andy_carey is an unknown quantity at this point

I got elected about 2 weeks after submitting my online form and I requested 2 copies of a 'letter of good standing' (basically confirms your a member but time and exam and that you dont have any warnings against your name) which came a few days later.

The trick to being a member so quick is to make a contact - my reviewer was really good, said he had prioritised mine cause of my visa app etc. Cant fault 2 weeks from submitting it to being qualified.

I also submitted my visa application at the end of Nov and my visa got granted on 12 Dec!! How's your application coming on?

Hey that's brilliant, now we find out if being an ACMA was worth all the effort

That's great you're almost away then, our applications are in for Canada but it's taking its time so we just have to sit tight. Hopefully we'll get some news in the next few weeks or so but until then..................

Best of luck for it all when it comes round
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:51 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Do you plan to become an Australian CPA under the new mutual recognition agreement?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Congratulations. Do you plan to become an Australian CPA under the new mutual recognition agreement?
Ideally i'd like to do australian chartered (CA). - just for fun!! (i get to do a few more exams and hopefully meet people!!).

All my friends mock me at the moment cause they're ACA wereas im 'just' ACMA!! I want to level the playing field! hehe
Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ideally i'd like to do australian chartered (CA). - just for fun!! (i get to do a few more exams and hopefully meet people!!).

All my friends mock me at the moment cause they're ACA wereas im 'just' ACMA!! I want to level the playing field! hehe
It will take a few years work experience to get your CA ... so you probably want to become CPA regardless to help you in the job market.

Some people do hold both CA and CPA and your subscriptions should normally be tax deductible.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JAJ
It will take a few years work experience to get your CA ... so you probably want to become CPA regardless to help you in the job market.

Some people do hold both CA and CPA and your subscriptions should normally be tax deductible.
I already have a job for when i arrive but yes, the more initials the better!! - unless they spell F.A.I.L!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:58 pm
gak
Forum Regular

gak is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jasonchenuck
Hi,

Im chenuck. Im a CIMA Passed Finalist yet im not a member since i have not completed 3yrs of work experience. Still for all i have 2yrs of Experience working for KPMG and Nestle in the Financial Field. Therefore if i mail ICAA with academic transcript from CIMA will i be able to obtain the 60 marks under the skills section (Category-Accountant). Is the academic transcript enough. ? pls advice
I applied to CPA Australia. Assessment was hassle free, quick. Now you have one more reason- Mutual recognition between CPA AND CIMA
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

SethMonster is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gak
I applied to CPA Australia. Assessment was hassle free, quick. Now you have one more reason- Mutual recognition between CPA AND CIMA
Hey Gak!

I'm in a similar situation too, CIMA Passed finalist, but only 1.5 yrs of exp.
Would it be possible to get the 60 points for the skills assessment.
I studied for the exams full time from Kaplan in London if that can make a difference.

Reading a few threads, I seem to come to the conclusion that I'll have to apply to NIA or ICAA, but what I feel is that with the CPA mutual recognition it should be fine. Still the Passed Finalist and Member status is causing a lot of confusion when applying for the migration assessment.

Also CIMA does not a give certified syllabus, is a web print alright along with transcripts ?

Thanks, ........... Seth
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SethMonster
Hey Gak!

I'm in a similar situation too, CIMA Passed finalist, but only 1.5 yrs of exp.
Would it be possible to get the 60 points for the skills assessment.
I studied for the exams full time from Kaplan in London if that can make a difference.

Reading a few threads, I seem to come to the conclusion that I'll have to apply to NIA or ICAA, but what I feel is that with the CPA mutual recognition it should be fine. Still the Passed Finalist and Member status is causing a lot of confusion when applying for the migration assessment.

Also CIMA does not a give certified syllabus, is a web print alright along with transcripts ?

Thanks, ........... Seth
I applied to NIA, but I was a full member at the time - it may be worth calling them to check as I had to send confirmation that I had achieved full member status.

To get the CPA status you do have to be a full member.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

SethMonster is on a distinguished road

I'm not eligible for membership with CPA as I'm not a graduate.

My status right now is just CIMA Passed Finalist with 1.5 yrs work exp. Without a degree.

Looking at all the forms it seems CPA is the best place to apply for the assessment in my case.

Anyone in a similar situation, who was successful in their migration assessment?
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SethMonster
I'm not eligible for membership with CPA as I'm not a graduate.

My status right now is just CIMA Passed Finalist with 1.5 yrs work exp. Without a degree.

Looking at all the forms it seems CPA is the best place to apply for the assessment in my case.

Anyone in a similar situation, who was successful in their migration assessment?
I had a chat with DIAC at one of the expo's about pre/post membership. Unless they've removed the one year relevant recent work experience requirement, or unless you have the points not to worry about that side of it, you have to be a member to get a successful application. They actually told me to hold off for 2 weeks because that would take me up to the 1 year post membership stage. Admittedly that was 2 years ago and there's been a fair few changes since then, but the logic should still hold true.

Have a chat with Alan Collett from Go Matilda - he's an expert in this area, but my understanding is that you have to be a full member for a successful application.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:55 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

The Department of Immigration seems to have struggled with the "skilled work experience" requirement for accountants for a while now ... my experience with the ASPC is that work prior to membership of a professional body IS capable of being considered skilled.

The key is the quality of the employer references, which must confirm that the duties are indeed those of a skilled Accountant (see the ASCO Code descriptors).

Best regards.