Cima But No Degree

Old Nov 17th 2006, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Sam_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cima But No Degree

Hi everyone.

I'm currently a CIMA finalist (with enough practical experience for CIMA) looking to hopefully emigrate post qualification (assuming Accountants are still in demand then!). I just have a couple of questions and wondered if anyone else out there had experienced similar issues or had the answers.

Firstly, I do not have a degree. Therefore I will be completely dependent on my CIMA qualification for meeting the standards. Will this be enough to be accepted by the ICAA for migration purposes? At this stage being accepted for migration is my only concern and not admittance to complete Aussie qualifications, I'll worry about that when I'm there.

Secondly, is it necessary to have a certain period of post qualification experience before applying? I've been working in the field for over five years but would hope to apply as soon as I can after qualification.

I would be really grateful for any advice!

Thanks,
Sam
Old Nov 18th 2006, 8:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cima But No Degree

Originally Posted by Sam_
Firstly, I do not have a degree. Therefore I will be completely dependent on my CIMA qualification for meeting the standards. Will this be enough to be accepted by the ICAA for migration purposes? At this stage being accepted for migration is my only concern and not admittance to complete Aussie qualifications, I'll worry about that when I'm there.
CIMA on its own is ok for ICAA assessment. Or NIA. It's not accepted by CPAA unless you have a university degree (any discipline).

And for ICAA/NIA you must be a full CIMA member. Passed finalist won't do,as far as I know.

Secondly, is it necessary to have a certain period of post qualification experience before applying? I've been working in the field for over five years but would hope to apply as soon as I can after qualification.
Sorry, there's no clear answer to this. You need professional assistance as to whether your pre-qualification experience will be acceptable to DIMA. Bear in mind they do look closely to see if "accountant" work experience is really in the role of a book-keeper.

Long term, you'll enhance your prospects in Australia by:

- becoming an Australian Chartered Accountant; and

- completing a Bachelors university degree. Accounting in Australia is generally a graduate based profession and there may be times in future where not having a tertiary degree will close doors. Many universities should give you up to two years full time equivalent credit for your CIMA study,leaving you with only one year to do. Distance learning is popular in Australia.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Sam_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
CIMA on its own is ok for ICAA assessment. Or NIA. It's not accepted by CPAA unless you have a university degree (any discipline).

And for ICAA/NIA you must be a full CIMA member. Passed finalist won't do,as far as I know.

Sorry, there's no clear answer to this. You need professional assistance as to whether your pre-qualification experience will be acceptable to DIMA. Bear in mind they do look closely to see if "accountant" work experience is really in the role of a book-keeper.

Long term, you'll enhance your prospects in Australia by:

- becoming an Australian Chartered Accountant; and

- completing a Bachelors university degree. Accounting in Australia is generally a graduate based profession and there may be times in future where not having a tertiary degree will close doors. Many universities should give you up to two years full time equivalent credit for your CIMA study,leaving you with only one year to do. Distance learning is popular in Australia.
Thankyou!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:15 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sam_
Hi everyone.

I'm currently a CIMA finalist (with enough practical experience for CIMA) looking to hopefully emigrate post qualification (assuming Accountants are still in demand then!). I just have a couple of questions and wondered if anyone else out there had experienced similar issues or had the answers.

I would be really grateful for any advice!

Thanks,
Sam

I'm an FCMA with no degree and was passed by ICAA in 10 days. (Millions of years experience though as I'm as old as the hills).

And I'm now living in Perth!

If you want any help, please feel free to PM me.
Old Dec 19th 2006, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Reegs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi sunshine girl

I am FCCA currently based in the UK with over 10 years experience, currently working as group accountant for a £100m turnover Holiday company in the UK.

What are the prospects like for experienced qualifieds in Perth and is the housing afffordable. My submission for skills assessment is about to be posted to ICAA and we come out next August, first for a recce then for real in late 07 / early 08. A bit worried by jacking it all in here and the rising house prices in Oz.

Cheers

Reegs