Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

CIMA Accountants finding work in Queensland

CIMA Accountants finding work in Queensland

Old Aug 16th 2006, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

nolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud of
Default CIMA Accountants finding work in Queensland

Hi,

Am looking to move over in a couple of months. Wondering if people have found it easyto find work in Queensland, I am a Financial Controller here but am looking to gain employment as a managment accountant over in Aus. I am starting to worry if doing the right thing in case cannot find work,

Wondering from other CIMA people how long it took to find work in Queensland
Old Aug 17th 2006, 1:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIMA Accountants finding work in Queensland

Originally Posted by nolly2120
Hi,

Am looking to move over in a couple of months. Wondering if people have found it easyto find work in Queensland, I am a Financial Controller here but am looking to gain employment as a managment accountant over in Aus. I am starting to worry if doing the right thing in case cannot find work,

Long term you will probably find it beneficial to become an Australian CA.
There is a strategic alliance between ICAA and CIMA that may ease the path a little.
http://www.icaa.org.au/entry/index.c...&id=A105824035

Two other options to look at, in addition to the above:

- look at becoming a Professional National Accountant (PNA), based on mutual recognition. Contact the NIA: http://www.nia.org.au
PNA is not recognised nearly as much as CA or CPA but this is likely to change gradually in the next 10-15 years.

- you could see if you can become an English CA through direct entry:
http://www.icaew.co.uk/index.cfm?route=125720
Getting ACA through direct entry won't help you get Australian CA, however the English CA designation is probably better recognised in Australia compared to CIMA.

CIMA's Australia office may be able to put you in touch with recruitment consultants who know about CIMA. But unless you're in an international company, having a relatively unknown non-Australian qualification always risks being a millstone at a future date.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: CIMA Accountants finding work in Queensland

Hi,

Hi

I am ACCA qualified but with no degree and had been an FC in the UK for about 8 years. We arrived at the end of April but I did not start looking for a job until end of June.
I went in to see a lot of agencies in Brisbane but most of them promise the earth and deliver nothing (no difference to the UK!) They do like to try and get you to take temp roles to get local experience but if you can afford to take your time, you will find the right role. I guess it depends on your background.
I have been working for a whole week now as FC for an ASX listed company and have fitted in really well.
I will take the required tax and law conversion course to obtain ICAA qualification, but probably not until next year.

PM me if you want a bit more info on agencies to use/avoid assuming you are moving to Brisbane.

HTH

MichaelB
Old Aug 25th 2006, 3:00 pm
IS VICK THERE

foopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud offoopsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by p63500sv8
Hi

I am ACCA qualified but with no degree and had been an FC in the UK for about 8 years. We arrived at the end of April but I did not start looking for a job until end of June.
I went in to see a lot of agencies in Brisbane but most of them promise the earth and deliver nothing (no difference to the UK!) They do like to try and get you to take temp roles to get local experience but if you can afford to take your time, you will find the right role. I guess it depends on your background.
I have been working for a whole week now as FC for an ASX listed company and have fitted in really well.
I will take the required tax and law conversion course to obtain ICAA qualification, but probably not until next year.

PM me if you want a bit more info on agencies to use/avoid assuming you are moving to Brisbane.

HTH

MichaelB
Any idea on practice opps Michael.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 12:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If you're ACCA you'll need to do more than tax and law to become a member of ICAA, sorry. You'll need to complete the CA Program and obtain the requisite work experience.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

p63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura aboutp63500sv8 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you're ACCA you'll need to do more than tax and law to become a member of ICAA, sorry. You'll need to complete the CA Program and obtain the requisite work experience.
Hi Jeremy

I have obviously missed something on the ICAA website!
I had forgotten about the work experience so that should not be a problem, but what is the CA program?

Cheers

MichaelB
Old Aug 26th 2006, 4:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

Hi Jeremy

I have obviously missed something on the ICAA website!
I had forgotten about the work experience so that should not be a problem, but what is the CA program?
CA Program is what Australians do after a bachelors degree to become a CA. It's a five subject program.
http://www.icaa.org.au/entry/index.c...&id=A106353300

Having ACCA exempts you from the bachelor degree requirement but doesn't exempt you from the CA Program, sorry. Long term it will help your career if you get an Australian CA qualification.

It will also meet ACCA's CPD requirements.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by foopsy
Any idea on practice opps Michael.

Hi

Can't help you with practice I'm afraid!

Cheers

Michael
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
CA Program is what Australians do after a bachelors degree to become a CA. It's a five subject program.
http://www.icaa.org.au/entry/index.c...&id=A106353300

Having ACCA exempts you from the bachelor degree requirement but doesn't exempt you from the CA Program, sorry. Long term it will help your career if you get an Australian CA qualification.

It will also meet ACCA's CPD requirements.
Hi Jeremy

Thanks for that info.
If I do the CA program does it mean I will not have to do the tax and law conversion course?
I'm glad it is recognised for CPD purposes though!

Thanks once again

MichaelB
Old Aug 27th 2006, 4:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

H
If I do the CA program does it mean I will not have to do the tax and law conversion course?

You have to do both, sorry. Tax/law conversion first, then the CA Program.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Hi, I'm CIMA qualified (Left Global FC role - London based FTSE Co etc etc) and moved to the Gold Coast in Feb 06. Managed to find work really quickly, but had to take a bigger drop in salary / position than I thought. I could have worked in Brisbane, but didn't want the commute, so I work on the GC (20 drive from home). I'm doing the Tax/Law conversion course and am hoping my earning ability goes up on completion. I know you shouldn't compare salaries, but I've gone back 8 years to pre qualified salary and it's hard.....
Do not expect to come here and earn the same salary and forget all about any kind of benefits package...I don't think they exist here.

All in all, still very happy with the move, just be realistic about your expectations.

Good luck

Judith

Hi,

Old Dec 19th 2006, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Reegs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Michael

I am also ACCA qualified (FCCA) and looking to move out late next year following a recce in the summer (Aussie winter).

Sorry to be personal but what are the job opportunities like, how does salary / spending power compare to UK. A bit worried to make the jump without anything concrete to go to. Taking exams again and basically starting all over again worries me as we've got a relatively comfortablelif here but think it could be better for us and the kids in Oz.

Currently awaiting skills assessment results from ICAA.

Cheers

Reegs