Career Advice Please?

Old Feb 6th 2006, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Neil & Shell will become famous soon enough
Default Career Advice Please?

Hello

I really hope someone can help me out.

I am now in Brisbane on a PR visa working for a firm of chartered accountants.

In the UK I had the following qualifications:

1. Full member of Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT)

2. Full member of Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT)

3. Completed part of the ACCA (All level 1 and half level 2)

I don't have a degree!!!!!

What is the best way forward for progressing in Australia??????

Do I finish ACCA?

Do I do a degree?

Do I join NIA?

Do I start CPA or ICAA (which I think I need degree or ACCA)

Any advice would be great.

I have contacted all the local Universities and NIA/CPA/ICAA but still no further forward.

Thanks in advance

Shell
Old Feb 6th 2006, 3:31 pm
G'day Sport

Rick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of lightRick C is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Career Advice Please?

Originally Posted by Neil & Shell
Hello

I really hope someone can help me out.

I am now in Brisbane on a PR visa working for a firm of chartered accountants.

In the UK I had the following qualifications:

1. Full member of Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT)

2. Full member of Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT)

3. Completed part of the ACCA (All level 1 and half level 2)

I don't have a degree!!!!!

What is the best way forward for progressing in Australia??????

Do I finish ACCA?

Do I do a degree?

Do I join NIA?

Do I start CPA or ICAA (which I think I need degree or ACCA)

Any advice would be great.

I have contacted all the local Universities and NIA/CPA/ICAA but still no further forward.

Thanks in advance

Shell

From the research that I have done I would say your best bet would be to join NIA if you are planning on staying in Aus for good. But you could continue your ACCA and then do the law and tax conversion.
If you don't mind me asking how did you get your PR if you are not qualified?
I am AAT qualified and half way through ACCA but not started the migration process because I thought you needed to qualified to pass the assessment.

Rick
Old Feb 7th 2006, 4:26 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rick C
From the research that I have done I would say your best bet would be to join NIA if you are planning on staying in Aus for good. But you could continue your ACCA and then do the law and tax conversion.
I am AAT qualified and half way through ACCA but not started the migration process because I thought you needed to qualified to pass the assessment.

Rick
ACCA's have to do the full CPA and ICAA programs as well as Tax and Law.

CIMA and ACA are different.

Paul.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rick C

Rick
Thanks Rick

I got my PR through a different trade as I had my own business and my partner had a skill on the demand list. I have fell into an accountancy role again here as there appears to be a shortage of accountants.

I rang ICAA in Australia yesterday and they said that if I finish the ACCA I can then do a bridging course in Australian tax and law. Then I can go on to study the CA program which should take about 1.5 to 2 years.

Lots of study again!

Shell
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil & Shell
Thanks Rick

I got my PR through a different trade as I had my own business and my partner had a skill on the demand list. I have fell into an accountancy role again here as there appears to be a shortage of accountants.

I rang ICAA in Australia yesterday and they said that if I finish the ACCA I can then do a bridging course in Australian tax and law. Then I can go on to study the CA program which should take about 1.5 to 2 years.
If you're doing ACCA it makes sense to obtain the BSc degree from Oxford Brookes University.

Then, if you see your future in Australia, it normally makes more sense to switch to an Australian designation. The ICAA is more prestigious than the CPAA and is usually preferable (should you move on from Australia then ICAA is recognised in more countries too).

Assuming ICAA recognise the BSc from Oxford Brookes (they ought to) you should be able to do Australian tax and law, and then start the CA Program at that point.

You don't have to work in public practise to become an ICAA member, as long as your employer is ICAA accredited that's normally ok.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=JAJ]If you're doing ACCA it makes sense to obtain the BSc degree from Oxford Brookes University.

I don't qualify for the Oxford Brookes degree as I have already completed some of the ACCA level 2 papers. Apparantly you have to opt in to do the degree before sitting certain papers. I spoke with both ACCA and Oxford Brookes and they will not let me join the degree program.

Oh well, back to my revision! The joys of accounting :scared:

Thanks

Shell