Canadian CMA in UK?

Old May 16th 2007, 4:07 am
Just Joined

newbee1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian CMA in UK?

I am moving to London and I would like to access the chances to get accounting job there with my Canadian CMA and 3 years accounting experience.
In this case does anyone knows:

- What is the process of receiving CIMA based on my Canadian CMA, in terms of documents, additional courses, etc?
- Can someone with Canadian accounting experience (non managerial) can get a job in London?
- How long could it take? and
- How much salary I can expect?

Thank you for your replies
Old May 16th 2007, 4:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian CMA in UK?

Originally Posted by newbee1
- What is the process of receiving CIMA based on my Canadian CMA, in terms of documents, additional courses, etc?
As far as I know, no additional courses. Just apply to CIMA for membership under the mutual recognition agreement. You need to supply evidence you are a CMA in good standing, and show you have 3 years work experience. Plus pay the fee.

http://www.cmabc.com/members/MutalRe...greements.html

If you want to acquire CIPFA membership in addition to CIMA (CIMA is recommended as first choice even if you are going into the public sector) then contact CIPFA directly.

Bear in mind that mutual recognition agreements are not permanent and can be withdrawn or amended. If interested - apply as soon as possible in order to be protected against changes.

Have you got a visa to work in the UK? (or are you a British/EEA/Swiss citizen)?
Old May 17th 2007, 12:56 am
Just Joined

newbee1 is an unknown quantity at this point

II know this article and I have called to CMA British Columbia already. They said that CIMA member can have CMA by:
1. Getting his Canadian TAX and Law courses done
2. Have 3 years of exp
3. Have CIMA membership in good standing
But on a question regarding the opposite way: CMA -> CIMA they could not answer. I called the CIMA and they could not answer either.
When I posted this topic I hoped that someone on this forum went the CMA -> CIMA recognition way.
Regarding the work permit, I do not currently have it but as soon as I move to London I tight the knot with my British girlfriend. So it would not be any problem.
Just a bit worry how quickly I can get the job there and obviously CIMA will give me big help.
Old May 17th 2007, 2:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newbee1
But on a question regarding the opposite way: CMA -> CIMA they could not answer. I called the CIMA and they could not answer either.
Call them again and insist on speaking to someone who knows about the agreement. It is easier for a CMA to become a CIMA member rather than the other way around.