Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Accountants
Reload this Page >

Can I fit in some BIG company?

Can I fit in some BIG company?

Old Sep 25th 2007, 5:16 am
Banned

Sahil1868 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Can I fit in some BIG company?

I’m an account graduate, not that fat to fit in any company. But there is one undeniable truth about me: I’m not good looking and suffer from a major inferiority complex whenever I go for an interview. Even if I manage to find a job in some BIG organization, I still would always feel left out and unconfident. I’m searching for some nice job but am very conscious about my appearance. Any solution?
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

oksana21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I fit in some BIG company?

Hi,

That’s a difficult one... i'm probably not the best to give advice as often appear too confident... i will try though and hopefully someone with more relevant experience would be able to help you more...

Working for a big company would certainly be good for your CV but may not be the right thing for you personally, fist how important is it for you to work for a big company? maybe you'll be much happier to work for a smaller one? On the other hand if starting with a bigger firm that recruits many graduates every year you will have a peer group who will all be in the same situation as you and you may feel easier to intergrate? It may sound silly, but often mutual hobbies make it easier to "fit in" i.e. if you find interests which are alike with others?

In terms of interview, they are always nerve-wreaking!!! and remember everyone feels that way, no mater what "appearance" they have. So the key is no come prepared, invest into a nice suit, research into the company, practice speaking, i.e. think of the key messages you want to get across, remember your body language, e.g. firm handshake, sit upright, look into the interviewers eyes... There are many books in this area, and just understanding the progress might give you more confidence!

My final advice is probably the most difficult thing to do (although for some people it comes naturally )... brag about yourself! it is important to sit down and make a list of the things that you're good at, e.g. what you value about yourself and you can ask other people what your strengths are, whenever you remember anyone saying well done, good job, congratulations! i.e. have you been involved in helping others including your family, i can imagine you a very caring person? Maybe you have high achievements in your exams? Perhaps you find that you're a dedicated person who pays attention to detail? Really focus on your strengths you've come a long way so far... there is actually only a small percentage of people who reach your education level (i live in the UK and maybe didn't go to the best school/and lived in the best area, but there are so many "yobs" i.e. "bad teenagers" who grow up being "bad adults" just living off the government... be glad that you're not one of those people, be proud of where you've got to and what you have achieved so far and everything else that you're capable of doing!!!

Best of luck for the future
Old Sep 26th 2007, 5:38 am
Banned

lindseym1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Can I fit in some BIG company?

Ohmigosh! This is ridiculous! If you think that looks plays crucial role in one’s career, you are absolutely wrong!!! Looks are nothing but “how you carry yourself and how much confident you are”.

As far as facing an interview is concerned, there are lotsa write-ups available online that can guide you. Recently, I read this great article on “The Interview: Presenting Yourself” on one site, resumeapple.com. And if you are looking for accounting-related jobs then you can refer to accountingcrossing.com, a jobsite deals in only accounting jobs. You can check out these sites for your kind of jobs and tips on facing interviews.

And don’t worry. Good things always happen to good people. Always BE POSITIVE!
CHEERS!

###
Old Sep 26th 2007, 11:11 am
Banned

Sahil1868 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can I fit in some BIG company?

Hi Lindsey,

Thanks for the great info there. Resumeapple.com has some very good career related articles. I hope it will help me boost my confidence. Accounting Crossing has very big database of Accounting as well as Finance related jobs.

This forum is really good. It helped me a lot!

Originally Posted by lindseym1979
Ohmigosh! This is ridiculous! If you think that looks plays crucial role in one’s career, you are absolutely wrong!!! Looks are nothing but “how you carry yourself and how much confident you are”.

As far as facing an interview is concerned, there are lotsa write-ups available online that can guide you. Recently, I read this great article on “The Interview: Presenting Yourself” on one site, resumeapple.com. And if you are looking for accounting-related jobs then you can refer to accountingcrossing.com, a jobsite deals in only accounting jobs. You can check out these sites for your kind of jobs and tips on facing interviews.

And don’t worry. Good things always happen to good people. Always BE POSITIVE!
CHEERS!

###