Qualification assessment

Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Beng is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualification assessment

Hi there,

I need some help in assessing my qualification. Could anyone please help me with it?

I have completed my CPAA, left one more year to be qualified.

Have an accounting degree from Australia.

Would this qualification increase my opportunity of a management accountant job in Australia?

Do i have to take up CIMA to increase my chances? Read some posts and noted that many feel it is more recognised in UK itself.

Would be glad to have more insights.

Cheers
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

oksana21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualification assessment

Hi Beng!

It sounds like you should be ok for a management accountant role, but it also depends if your work experience is in that area, the Australian degree is definitely a plus. (i dont know much amount the CPAA qualification)

CIMA recognised much wider in the UK then it is in Australia, if you decide to settle in Australia i would recommend to look into the ICAA, maybe work sendng in your qualification assessment sooner rather then later, it is very likely that you should be fine based on your degree to get into the institute.

Where abouts in Australia were you thinking of moving to?

Oksana
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:11 am
clk
Just Joined

clk is an unknown quantity at this point

Presumably CPAA is CPA-Australia, which does not need any assessment in terms of qualification provided u are a FULL MEMBER. Just need a confirmation from CPA-Austalia.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:28 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clk
Presumably CPAA is CPA-Australia, which does not need any assessment in terms of qualification provided u are a FULL MEMBER. Just need a confirmation from CPA-Austalia.
If applying for general skilled migration, a skill assessment is mandatory.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:43 am
clk
Just Joined

clk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
If applying for general skilled migration, a skill assessment is mandatory.
Yes, its mandatory but with a CPA-Aust the assessment is basically a rubber stamp process FYI. We got in on this basis. Just a letter to confirm that you're currently a FULL Member of CPA. There are however other things like a CV etc.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clk
Yes, its mandatory but with a CPA-Aust the assessment is basically a rubber stamp process FYI. We got in on this basis. Just a letter to confirm that you're currently a FULL Member of CPA.
In fact I can think of some instances where a fully-qualified CPA might not be eligible for a migration assessment, although it would be unusual to encounter any of these day to day.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Appreciate the advice. I did a check with ICAA and noted that for CPAA i have to take all the ICAA papers. Dont think i am ready to go though taking papers again for a slightly more prestigious CA, though it is good to have.

Would be considering Perth or Sydney to start out a management accounting career. Been to many parts of Australia, it is a great place to be.

Did some research and noted that Resources industry is popular in Australia for being good paymaster and career advancement.

Would like advice on that. I have this opinion that management accounting skills would be industry specific. For eg, if i do resources industry, certain skills learnt might not be transferable if i change to retail industry.

Cheers
Old Sep 27th 2007, 2:45 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Beng
Hi everyone,

Appreciate the advice. I did a check with ICAA and noted that for CPAA i have to take all the ICAA papers. Dont think i am ready to go though taking papers again for a slightly more prestigious CA, though it is good to have.
If you have the Australian CPA qualification you don't get any special preference in terms of becoming a CA. As you say, CA is slightly more prestigious than CPA in Australia (but CPA is also well recognised). Is it worth doing the extra papers? : only you can decide that.

If you want to do CIMA - or the American CMA qualification - then you have to do extra papers as well. But the subject matter will be different and more geared to management accounting. Either of them would go well with being an Australian CPA.

Would like advice on that. I have this opinion that management accounting skills would be industry specific. For eg, if i do resources industry, certain skills learnt might not be transferable if i change to retail industry.
As you become more senior it can be harder to change industry - but this is not always the case.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

thank you for the advice. appreciate it.

I was thinking that i have no management accounting experience. Would it help if i join a BIG 4 in Australia for a year to gain the industry experience before i further commit myself in a management accounting position?

I am not sure if it would be necessary.

Cheers